Question regarding Vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoz3

Mar 21, 2019
Hello!

I've been smoking cigarettes for over 10 years now and thought about maybe replacing it with vaping. I tried vaping through my friend's vaper and it felt awesome. There are two questions which I want to know answers to.

1. How much money would I save If I spend around 20-40 euros monthly on cigarettes (3-6 cigarettes a day)?
2. Cheapest and decent vapers? (Want it to last aprox. 1-2 years)

Would be glad for any help :)

Last edited:

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
hello and welcome to ecf
what kind of vape device are you comfortable with
must it look like a cig? would a pod be ok? or do you want something with better battery life but a bit bigger and do you want cylinder or box style?

as far as money saved, well....that just depends....keep in mind that the initial cost will be more
if your goal is to save money then eventually you'll want to look into a rebuildable atomizer, which you can still buy premade coils for cheap instead of making your own, this will save quite a lot over drop-in coils which most tend to be proprietary.... and then possibly diy ejuice but you can find juice on sale for pretty cheap

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Hello!

I've been smoking cigarettes for over 10 years now and thought about maybe replacing it with vaping. I tried vaping through my friend's vaper and it felt awesome. There are two questions which I want to know answers to.

1. How much money would I save If I spend around 20-40 euros monthly on cigarettes (3-6 cigarettes a day)?

Honestly a lot depends on how much your going to vape i.e., what your consumption level is going to be like..

At the rate your smoking now, if you keep that same rate up when you vape and don't increase time (ie continue to spend a few minutes 3 times per day with vaping) then your expenditure will either save you money or stay the same, depending on what kind of gear you buy.

I was a two pack a day smoker when I switched and spent 335 the first year I vaped, that's 27.91 per month. Considering I was spending 200 a month back then on cigarettes vaping was a huge savings for me.

Since your not smoking as much, you won't vape as much either so you ejuice expenditure won't be as much as mine was.

My husband is vaping a 20 dollar bottle of ejuice every two months (he buys high nicotine salts), and I spend 7.00 per month on his replacement pods, and 20 dollars on his pod mod, with an additional 20 on his backup. Now, his backup and his pod mod should last around 1 year... So that is 3.33 per month on the mod.

This makes his low wattage, low consumption vaping cost him just over 20 dollars per month - but he was a 1 pack a day smoker, far more than your 3 cigarettes per day.

You can spend up to 100 dollars on a mod and 30 -35 on an atomizer tank, with an additional investment in 2 to 4 batteries, (up to approx. 36 dollars) and a charger (25 dollars approx) but the mod should last around one to three years, the batteries two years, and the charger at least 4 years..

if you look at the above as a 1 year cost it's 17.00 per month, approximately..

So what you spend on vaping is ofren up to you, there is some really nice gear out there...

but I find it doubtful either way that you will spend much on ejuice and coils, which are the main consumables of vaping, especially if you continue to spend such a low amount of time vaping, and don't vape at high wattage/high consumption levels.

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Welcome to ECF.
All I can tell you is I started vaping around 5 years ago and every device and atty are still working well. All I've had to replace was an oring here and there. As Opinionated stated it's up to you how much you invest. Start with a cheaper kit to see if vaping sticks, then buy for high quality longevity (which does not mean expensive).

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hello!

Hi and welcome,
What device did your friend let you try?
Do you smoke pre-made cigarettes or hand rolled?
Where are you located?

Cheers
I

vimagreg

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2019
I think the greater factor here is: will you vape just to stop smoking or will you vape as a hobby? If the target is only stop smoking so I guess you'll be able to save huge amounts of money vaping, because, as said above, it's a matter of buying one mod, one atomiser (could be a starter kit, as well), coils and juice. And that's it.

Now, if this becomes a hobby, them you could be in trouble, since there are tons of new mods and atomisers being released every month, new juice flavours, new types of coils and all imaginable stuff for vaping and you'll be tempted to have it all or, at least, some of it. This could raise your spending a lot. In my personal case I was never a smoker, although for years I had some tries with some different products. So, for me, vaping is more about hobby and way of life than to stop smoking, which means I really need to try hard to control myself in order to don't spend too much money in it. But, I think, that's the same with all kind of hobbies, isn't it? So this is an element you should have in mind about spending, in my opinion.

Enviado de meu ONEPLUS A6013 usando o Tapatalk

The_Professor_2019

Jan 31, 2019
West Yorkshire
I guess my advice would be to think in stages.
Buy a cheap kit, something like the Jem at less than €15.

You can get plus ohm coils for it, you can get sub ohm coils for it.....

You can change when wattage, or for a few more euros you can get a 40 COV kit.

They are solid and simple, and will then let you find the coil, method of vaping, liquid and power you like. Then once you know what you like, you can buy the relevant mod.

As far as costs, I pay around £14 per month for my DIY liquids.
Maybe £5 every two months for coils or wire.....

So, ongoing saving? I would recon about half....

Cost of starter kit, less than €20 until you fimg what you want...

Then? Every spare penny on the next mod :lol:.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
you only spend 40-50 euros a month on sticks? So you must only be smoking 5 cigarettes a day or less, no? fair warning, you may spend MORE at first, as you look for juices that you enjoy. for instance, you may want to sign up for an e-liquid monthly subscription box for a couple months, until you figure out which types of flavors you'll really enjoy. there are so many devices that you can choose from. If you truly only smoke a couple cigarettes each day, you might be a good candidate for a refillable pod system. :) They are small, battery life is short, but they'd serve a light smoker well.

Or if you do in fact smoke more, I'd recommend a simple 18650 battery mod. Regulated or Unregulated would be best. Mechanical mods have a bit of a learning curve. Expect to spend around $65-100 for a mod kit, with a tank. Buy yourself a couple 60ml bottles of juice to try out, and go from there. Remember that the initial investment may seem high, but you wont be spending $10/pack anymore. You'll recoup $$ in a month or two.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't know that a starter kit would last you two years, maybe one if it's robust enough.

If you want to save money on elquid and coils, MTL vaping is the way to go. With that said if HUGE plumes of vapor float your boat, well they do.

I tend to suggest a cheap two battery not too many bells and whistles box mod, and a sub0hm tank and a higher resistance tank, and whatnot.

If you already know how to vape, knock out one of those tanks.

I only vape MTL (higher resistance, higher nic) so tanks I'd suggest would be a Nautilus 2s, an Innoken Zenith (coils last a long time) something like that.

Vaping though can be as expensive or cheap as you make it. IF you want huge plumes of vapor you will also need a charger, at least 4 batteries, and etc. Not to mention juice and coils (kind of maintenance for vaping.)

I think after an initial outlay you will save money. I will note that some brands tend to be more durable than others, like Aspire, Geekvape, Vapresso, Teslacigs, and Innoken.

I would steer clear of Smok and Ijoy.

That's just me though, well, many members here are not partial to smok mods for a host of reasons. I tend to think Ijoy is almost worse, but I hate their stuff.

Best of luck, the benefits of vaping are not just financial! I was headed for COPD death, I'd be paying with my life for more than every mod or tank I ever bought, to be honest.

Anna

Smoz3

Mar 21, 2019
Thanks a lot for your suggestions and personal experiences.

I live in Europe and cigarettes cost here around 3.5-5 euros a pack.
Currently, I decided to buy "AirSmoke Supreme 650 MAX-S" or "Premium Slim 180".

(I'm considering to buy a mod later because now I live in a small city and probably will visit capital in around a few months.)

The main question now is what e-juices to buy? I smoke Winston Blue cigarettes and want to make approximately the same nicotine e-juice level % or something to balance everything when the cravings start xD.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
It depends on what device you buy, and what disposables it requires - you can get a pod for maybe $20, a kit for maybe $30 (sorry I’m speaking American lol) or a mod and tank well over $100. It’ll take longer to see savings at that rate.

But pods need to be replaced, tanks need coils (usually cheaper than pods).

I was a heavier smoker than you, 1.5 PAD. I switched September something 2013.

Quick calculations based on the price of cigarettes when I quit, I’d have spent about 20k smoking. More really, because they’ve gone up since then.

But I can tell ya, I’ve bought a load of vape gear, but nowhere near 20k. Maybe 4K, tops, in all those years. And I still have 9/10ths of it. Smoking I would have only had dirty ashtrays to show for it.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain

(I'm considering to buy a mod later because now I live in a small city and probably will visit capital in around a few months.)

The main question now is what e-juices to buy? I smoke Winston Blue cigarettes and want to make approximately the same nicotine e-juice level % or something to balance everything when the cravings start xD.

If these are the products you are considering;

IMO an 18mg/ml or higher nicotine level would be average for a heavy smoker.
As a lighter smoker, 10mg/ml-15mg/ml nicotine level may be enough for you.
You may use regular nicotine or salts, or a mixture of both, in the devices above.
Nicotine "salts" in the levels available in the EU will be very smooth and have little to no "throat hit".
Any e liquid with a VG content of 70% or less will be suitable for those devices. (IMO: 50%-60% VG works best)
Hangsen makes some good tobacco flavours, your local store may or may not carry this brand.
Many new users find a mint or menthol blend to be effective as an alternate flavour.
Please note that those flavours will linger and confine them to one device/tank or atomizer head.

Welcome to ECF
Best of luck
I

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
Best of luck, the benefits of vaping are not just financial! I was headed for COPD death, I'd be paying with my life for more than every mod or tank I ever bought, to be honest.

Very good point @stols001 I would have been too. At the end of the day who gives a stuff about money when they're dead :)

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France

Welcome Smoz3 :)

So where do you live in Europe....I live in France and a pack of cigs here is 7.50€ and going up!! Actually that's another consideration for you the price whereever you are is not going to go down in the future.

I would agree with a lot of the other comments here but for myself I would suggest a POD device with refillable pods/tanks something like the vladdin RE....

Vladdin re.JPG

I have many mods/devices but I use this alongside my normal daily to supplement my nic with salt nic at high strength. Because you only smoke a little you would probably only need a lowish salt nic level...say 12-18mg/ml, maybe even less but it is important to make sure you're getting enough nic otherwise you'll keep smoking. The above is really cheap and the replacement refillable pods last a long time...I have had the same pod in mine for about 5 weeks now and used over 30 ml of liquid through it.

I hope this helps and good luck to you :)

vimagreg

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2019
The reason I suggested a starter kit at the beginning, is not for it to last two years, but to allow our friend a low cost entry, until he knows what he wants.... Then he can spend a reasonable amount in a kit that will give him exactly what he wants..
Exactly what I did. Firstly, a Vaporesso Revenger X with NRG sub-ohm tank and a couple of regular GT coils. Then, a Teslacigs mod with Cascade Baby tank, this time with GT Mesh coils. Love it. And now, I'm with my Paranormal DNA250C for two weeks, with Asmodus Voluna V2 RTA. Love it, two. As you learn how to vape, what is good in vape and what you want in vape you progress. Absolutely no need to hurry here.

Enviado de meu ONEPLUS A6013 usando o Tapatalk

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hello!
Welcome and glad you joined.
Just saw your last post and found I missed your first (this one) post.
1. I spend the equivalent of maybe 30 Euro cents monthly in VG only. I by the VG by the US Gallon.
2. My Eleaf Istick 30 lasts me 3-4 years, before I have to change out the internal battery.
Feel free to ask any additional information.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread