Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Copyright applies to original works. Art, photos, writing, etc no need to apply for a copyright

Patent. Is for inventions, or ways of doing things. Requires filing a patent and having a search for previous invention
vape juices dont fall in this catagory then?if i wanted to sell one, i would have to register it with the FDA, but otherwise, someone else could make a similar juice or even an exact copy?

Reactions: stols001

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
It is not impossible there would be trademark issues though. Trademark is different from copywriter or patent and covers only product and company names and packaging.
Yes, but trademarks must be registered. Thats why you see the words registered trademark or TM on certain labels.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Once
I don't it is just registering with the FDA, they analyze it for safety, that's all.
Thats what i thought. I was showing off my cheesecake juice to a couple guys at the vape store the other day and the owner said since it was similar to his he could sue me because his is fda registered. Im not selling mine to anyone. I was just proud of what i made. But since his isnt patented recipie or anything, i thought he was full of bs.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Once

Thats what i thought. I was showing off my cheesecake juice to a couple guys at the vape store the other day and the owner said since it was similar to his he could sue me because his is fda registered. Im not selling mine to anyone. I was just proud of what i made. But since his isnt patented recipie or anything, i thought he was full of bs.
One would think he was joking. I’m sure “his” cheesecake juice is much like a hundred others. There is no actual requirement to tell the truth as a business owner.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Yep...sounds about right. I wonder if his facility for making juice is sanitary. Hmmmm.
I figure hes just a blowhard. I only support b and m stores just to keep the local economy local but his isnt the only store around. I just like some of the products they have.

• Agree

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Just perusing the flavor shopping websites does give ideas. Who knew there was a flavor for Belgian Waffle and another for Maple Syrup. A lot of ideas to be had for DIY.

o_O
Maple syrup is mapleine. It was a holy grail flavor for a while. Maple syrup is expensive. Mix mapeline and simple syrup and you have artificial maple syrup.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
The retail sector is an odd place.

Career store assistants, from my experience, are social spastics. The typical "checkout girl" isn't the demographic i'm talking about. It's those who choose to work in the industry for life. They're a clique !. It's true some will try to hold a conversation with customers when that conversation is off topic, just to be polite. And this is what i'm referring to. A hell of a lot of them cannot behave in a way you'd expect, and have difficultly in reciprocating. All the time the conversation is about the products, then they're fine, it's when you start talking about other stuff they get lost and confused and sometimes are quite rude. They just don't expect customers to "shoot the breeze", and when it happens they become wrong footed and start acting weird. Career store staff are just odd. It's not a case of wasting their time. You could be talking about anything during a sale and they clam up, it's the strangest thing.

So your vape shop assistant, he's a social spastic.

It is funny when it happens. I sometimes go to a store, when i'm bored, and start a conversation just to freak them out.

Even if his juice is FDA approved there's no proof his juice was formulated before your's was, so FDA approval means squat.

It's not about the juice anyway. They're a clique, and feel the need to alienate customers.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
@Coyote628,
You may have just been "being bad for business." Profit margins on hardware and accessories is fairly limited; due to seller's own cost, as well as easy internet availability (often for less). Same goes for for nationally branded e-liquids.

What doesn't have these limitations, and therefore higher profit margins, are store branded/made e-liquids... especially store made. Raw materials are dirt cheap (most of my DIY is made for 4¢/mL; or less), and containers are equally inexpensive when buying in bulk. So, selling something that is costing him $0.30-$1.50, for $10-$20 or more, is paying his bills.

You showing/sharing a quality tasty DIY result in his shop, is telling his customers they can do it too, and don't need to be buying his most profitable product. His response was kind of pathetic. But, you were being rather insensitive too. In the UK they would call that "poor form."

I recognize that many vape shops act as social venues, as much as places of commerce, but I am guessing that you were hitting a little too close to home (or the wallet).

Just a different point of view... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread