Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

EagleGreen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Hammonton NJ
I've been vaping for a few years now but still a novice at a few things. One being RDA's. Now I'm the kind of vapor who since I started always wanted the plug n plays devices.. I hated punching cartos and doing that route.. Then the Novas came around and that changed everything for me.. From there I got as high at using the PT2 and have no knowledge of any better tanks. But what I'm here for is to ask about RDA's Pros and cons over using replaceable coils. Are they easy to set up? Better flavor? Cheaper then buying coils for other tanks.. I'd love to know.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I use a rebuildable tank as dripping isn't really convenient for me.

Hmm. Pros
Save money- an inexpensive rebuildable is not much more (sometimes cheaper) than a tank. Roll of wire and cotton for wicks is super cheap.

Can build what you want- make the coils exactly like you want them. If it doesn't work right, just rebuild.

Less fiddling- this seems counterintuitive, but once you learn how to build them they take very little maintenance and very little fiddling to stop gurgles or dry hits, or whatever.

Coils last longer- maybe this is just me, but my coils last a long long time. With protank heads, I'd get about 3 days before I wanted a fresh coil. With a rebuilt head I seem to get over a week. With protank heads, there seemed to be a definite limit to how many times it could be dry burned before it just wouldn't work anymore. With a rebuildable, I feel like I could just rewick and dry burn for months.

Cons-
learning curve. You do have to learn how to build a decent coil, and sometimes this takes some work. You have to learn a bit about ohms and voltages and such.
Convenience- rebuilding can be less convenient. You can't just pull a new coil out of your pocket and pop it in your tank.

That's about all I can think of at the moment.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Give it a try! I'm not really a hobby rebuilder. Some people really get into building this of that type of coil, etc... Which is a perfectly fine hobby. Personally, I just rebuild to vape. Standard ~1.0- 1.2 ohm compressed coil, and I'm good.

I thought of another pro... Less hassle in making sure you always have a supply of heads. I don't have to constantly be looking for sales on heads, or worried about making sure I don't run out. 100 feet of wire cost about as much as a 5 pack of heads, and will last... Uh... A long long time. A bag of cotton balls will last a long time too, and if I run out I can just go to Walgreen's and get more.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
That's about all I can think of at the moment.
I think you've offered a fine and objective overview, with little of value one could add. ;-)

EagleGreen... I'll try not to repeat Spazmelda's post information, only fill in the few small holes I see.

With RBAs (which includes RDAs, RTAs and genesis atomizers)... unlike pre-manufactured coil atomizers, by choosing your wick, wire, coil type and it's resistance, you have complete control over the quality of your vape.

Some juices, due to their blend and additives, don't taste all that great at common production resistances. The stock silica can mute flavor as well. Some juices are actually even designed around being used at low resistance.
Low-Ω and sub-Ω coil(s), which may bring out the very best in a juice, are just a bit of math and a few twists away.

By controlling all the variables, you can also tailor your build to the available power supply, and visa versa.

Click on the second hyperlink in my sig line... the information links in my article are the things you need to know to obtain a great vape, and do it in a safe manor.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Thanks for the info both of you.. Can you suggest something that would fit in a VTR with having to cut it?
What would you like? Anything that is 19mm or smaller in ID will fit a VTR.

A glassomizer, RTA, genesis or RDA? Literally hundreds of possible options... and this is where things start to get a bit subjective as well. :p

I have a collection of most all the RTAs there are at my disposal, and a good cross section of RDAs.
I don't use glassomizers and haven't used genesis attys in many months... Spazmelda may be more a help with the latter than I.

One other thing - The VTR has both a 5 amp and low resistance limiters, so you can't go much below 0.8Ω.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
LOL I don't know what you said.. I can never figure out ohms so I always buy 2.5+ And with RDA and RTA I don't know the difference.
I seldom suggest this, but as several apply to you, take a bit of time and read some of my blog articles that you may find helpful. Click on the number '10' below my avatar.

PaulBHC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
Arizona
I bought a $6 RDA just to see if I would like it. Works just fine. OK for at home testing flavors.

Read, read, read to understand coil making and use the links above in post 9. You can make a coil for pennies. Make a mistake and toss it out. I have a MVP and VV V3 that reads ohms. Or buy a tester for lees than $20.

I make coils on the weekend watching TV during commercials.

coalyard

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Rome, NY, USA
Will the Kayfun fit in the vtr without modification?

Negative on the Kayfun for a VTR without the extension. I am seriously considering removing the ring on mine. BTW, I have fired a coil down to .5 ohm on my VTR. I don't sub ohm vape, it was a mistake so I said "what the hell" and gave it a try. It fired OK. I usually keep my builds above 1ohm for the KFL+ anyway, so it's not an issue for me.

I will add by way of reinforcing what others have said here that rebuilding opens up a whole new world of possibilities as well as making it possible to get the best from your equipment. I recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread