Status
Not open for further replies.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Run on 20w? kinda but not very well.
The 1Ω Atlantis 2 head is marked 40-50w and isn't really a misprint, they are dismal at 25w, fair at 30w, okay at 35w, good at 40.
Of course always start off at a lower power & work your way up to find what you like best.

The .5Ω & the 1Ω head use the same gauge wire for the coil, so the 1Ω head has more coil mass which takes more power to heat.

You can try the full size Triton 1.8Ω heads in the Atlantis for a lower power option.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Run on 20w? kinda but not very well.
The 1Ω Atlantis 2 head is marked 40-50w and isn't really a misprint, they are dismal at 25w, fair at 30w, okay at 35w, good at 40.
Really? 1 ohm factory coils that want/need 35-40 watts?

I'll go stand in the corner now, and hang my head in shame due to my obviously obsolete knowledge of what's being sold these days.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain

I'll go stand in the corner now, and hang my head in shame due to my obviously obsolete knowledge of what's being sold these days.
The view is great from the corner (and close the the bar/bathroom.) Keep your chin up. :toast: or you dribble when you drink.

Things are changing fast.
We now have .5Ω coils fed 1.85 Volts by AA/AA Ni-MH rechargables. (Almost 7 watts!!!)
http://www.joyetech.com/product/batpack/

I think it looks like a carto-tank on a home made Altoids type mod. :facepalm:

cheers
I

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago

I feel shamed now too. I've been pushing 1.2ohm coils happily for years at a meager 11 watts. Dang it, I should have been giving them more!

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I feel shamed now too. I've been pushing 1.2ohm coils happily for years at a meager 11 watts. Dang it, I should have been giving them more!

The 1 ohm coils I make would burn my cotton, destroy the coil and give me a nasty taste for days if I vaped at 40 watts..

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
I wasn't trying to sound like a know it all or a horses rump with my response.
I've used all the Atlantis / Trition tanks & heads, just relaying my experience with them.

I am slightly perplexed at the seemingly snide comments, if you haven't used the exact 1Ω heads for the Atlantis the OP asked about how would you know how they perform.
The 1Ω heads have been out for several years, nothing new.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I wasn't trying to sound like a know it all or a horses rump with my response.
I've used all the Atlantis / Trition tanks & heads, just relaying my experience with them.

I am slightly perplexed at the seemingly snide comments, if you haven't used the exact 1Ω heads for the Atlantis the OP asked about how would you know how they perform.

I trust your experience with the coils, and I don't believe anyone was being snide, certainly not me..

It IS unusual for myself and I'm sure others to equate a 1 ohm coil with higher wattages, as I'm sure you can also relate to.

Old gear or new its not an automatic thought process to jump to given how the majority of us build..

It's possible to use wire that can take those watts, it's just outside the norm for me.

No offense intended.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
That all comes from the old perception that power is somehow directly tied to resistance. It's not, coil mass is the relevant factor.
In the past certain resistances were tied to power because they all used similar wire gauge and material which isn't true any more. Even back then some people made massive coils for series stacked mechs that had a resistance well over 1Ω (and a power well over 10W).

Most of that doesn't hold true any more today, you can have subohm low power coils and high ohm high power coils no problem, the resistance doesn't necessarily tell you much about the style of vaping.
I think everybody knows all that already though :D

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago

You are correct. Apologises. I'm just seriously surprised they would need that much power given that I vape a similar coil at much lower watts.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm a bit surprised too, but honestly I am a total wattage weenie. I vape things usually FAR lower than that, although I will say I was able to get an AOI kit that had lowest wattage setting of 30 watts, (on a 0.8 coil) to kind of work for me, but it required some breaking in and finding the right driptip, to limit the vape, so that doesn't sound OUTSIDE the realm of possibility to me. I mean, I'd imagine you could go higher with a 1.0 ohm coil and still get a good vape if it's designed for that.

The question would be I guess, does your wife vape those coils at lower than the recommended wattage (which is fine). If so, well, your Istick 20 watt mod may WORK, (and there isn't anything wrong with going lower than the recommended). I guess you could try it, and if she's not getting a satisfying vape below 20, then look at either a different topper, or a different mod that can provide more wattage and etc.

Best of luck

Anna

Reactions: Rossum

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well ,if by "more kick" you mean more vapor and etc.? You probably can't get too much "more" out of the mod.

Maybe an updated Istick with a bit more wattage might give her more options? I mean, yes, she can try lower resistance coils but the problem is if you don't really apply more wattage, she won't see much effect.

As far as flavor, IDK, that might be possible but I'm not really sure what to suggest. Etc.

Anna

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
She's already getting about all the istick 20w has.

Not knocking it, but, It is limited by its 1Ω - 3Ω range, amp & voltage limits & very poor power regulation.
They function best with something around 1.1Ω - 1.4Ω - replaceable head or RBA.

I don't understand what you mean by 'more kick' / more throat hit? - up the nic mg/ml and or pg,, more cloud? - up the vg.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
I started with the 20w istick. The evod toptank i had with it used 1.7ohm coils and maybe 1.5 as well, cant really remember. It wouldnt go over 18watts though. It worked to get me off cigs though, but after i went to subohm, ive never looked back. I still have the istick, just dont use it anymore

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread