Not open for further replies.

Statistic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
United States
What is it? vaping with no wick material, just a coil and juice

Why is it? Why not.. Seriously though the why is I am a chain vaper. I'm not necessarily chasing the crazy clouds we've all seen on YouTube, I just really like vaping and I do it a lot. I like big puffy delicious clouds and I like lots of them back to back. This goal is achievable but at a cost. I find that I am really rough on wick materials having a bad habit of gunking up coils past the point of dry burning them clean in the atty, which I do think I could probably avoid by letting my atty cool a bit every few hits. After removing and cleaning my coil today with a propane torch I couldn't help but daydream about a cloud machine that required a bit less maintenance.

What if we could vape with no wick material whatsoever??

My initial idea was to wrap up a coil that resembles an electric stove burner then position it just above the floor of the RDA. So it would be a tight flat spiral where one lead is in the center and the other is at the edge of the coil. Something like this crude jerky mouse driven sketch...
nowick.jpg

I've only tried once by hand with 26g kanthal. I got a small example wrapped up and it did work but it was loose and too big. I took that apart and just rolled up a small coil around a 5/64" drill bit (I wanted it to be as small as possible so it would be easy to keep the most if not all of the coil in juice) and positioned it just off the bottom of the dripper, same length legs, no hotspots.

This is working MUCH better than I expected. I am putting 5-8 drops in the AGI in drip mode and getting a good 20-25 enormous hits before the dripper is dry.

A few pics...

Dry:

Even glow. The burn on the grommet is from before, not this coil:

With a few drops of juice. I really should have used a darker juice for this shot :facepalm:. You can see it though, juice covers about 70% of the coil:

Aaaand.. proof of concept. Lots of vapor.. lots. No hot legs and in fact while the coil has a sufficient supply of juice none of it gets red at all:

Last edited:

CloudZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Still trying to find a way to wrap up a stove burner coil where the inner most part of the spiral is TINY, and still has a 1/2" coming out from the center for one of the legs

Could you try forming it such that the middle of the wire is at the center? Might be easier, I don't know.

Your concept is very interesting and I might just try it sometime.

0_0 *** Sent from my Droid Incredible 4G LTE *** 0_0

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
This sounds like a good idea, but as is shown in the photo, I think such setup is going to cause a LOT of sputtering. Getting hot droplets of juice thrown into your mouth probably won't make for good vape... ;-)

If you just put a coil of wick in the bottom of your RDA, and then set such a coil on top of it (rather than running the wick through the coil) you would probably get similar results, without so much sputtering and sparking.

I've been thinking bout spiral coils lately too, but having a tough time figuring out how to do it consistently. Such a coil would be VERY small, and difficult to make by hand. Perhaps there is some sort of jig we could make to help in winding such a coil...

Statistic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
United States
Yeah those pics do show a lot of splatter.. however I've been vaping that coil for the last hour and have yet to get any in my mouth. Maybe the size of the AGI cap helps catch it, I don't know, but it hasn't been a problem yet and I also HATE getting spit on by my atty.

The reason I'm trying for a flat stove burner type coil is for ease of keeping it in contact with the juice. I'm trying to get the coil all on one plane the height of the width of the wire, except for the legs of course. That way the entire coil can be a consistent height from the deck and consistent distance from juice.

I thought about just rolling a tiny tiny regular coil, 1/16" or so, and hammering it flat so it looks like a flattened line of coins.. I may or may not try that..

One more thing.. in terms of easily changing flavors with no hassle and no carryover from one flavor to another... this setup is boss. I've switched between 4 flavors so far, very easy transition.

Vego

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
pittsburgh, pa
Interesting. I've tried this... only I didn't think to try using it without a wick. I thought it would need a mesh glove.
005_zps6f427942.jpg

I ended up with this, but soon switched out the layer of silica with a 'bed' of mesh under the stove coil.
007_zps48a41f92.jpg

To make that coil, the object is to wrap a coil around some sort of tapered rod so that the coil comes out looking like your typical battery spring. Then you compress it with plyers and torch it so it holds that flat shape.

The thing is to get a significant angle in the taper, and in a fairly short distance, so that the indivudual coils will fit inside each other when you compress it. If the taper is too shallow, you'll end up with too much wire (high ohm) to get the outside coils big enough to surround the inner ones. I ended up using a wooden meat skewr that I widdled to a fairly sharp point... kind of like what a pensil looks like.

I like this idea of using no wick though... and I can see from your pictures that it works. Damn... now I'm gonna have to go back and revisit my stove top coil.

Statistic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
United States
Could you try forming it such that the middle of the wire is at the center? Might be easier, I don't know.

Your concept is very interesting and I might just try it sometime.

0_0 *** Sent from my Droid Incredible 4G LTE *** 0_0

OH I just got what you mean. So like fold a wire then have the middle of the wire be in the center of the spiral, and both legs would end up being on the outside edge of the coil.. Great idea!

Statistic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
United States
wind a coil on a tapered cylinder, and smoosh it flat

To make that coil, the object is to wrap a coil around some sort of tapered rod so that the coil comes out looking like your typical battery spring. Then you compress it with plyers and torch it so it holds that flat shape.

The thing is to get a significant angle in the taper, and in a fairly short distance, so that the indivudual coils will fit inside each other when you compress it. If the taper is too shallow, you'll end up with too much wire (high ohm) to get the outside coils big enough to surround the inner ones. I ended up using a wooden meat skewr that I widdled to a fairly sharp point... kind of like what a pensil looks like.

Ah yes, another great idea here. Not sure if it's really even necessary but this way would make it really difficult to get the center full of coils all they way down to tiny tiny tiny size. Seems like I'd end up with a big vacant space in the middle of the coil this way, which may not be a bad thing.

Hmm.. viable options for sure :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread