Not open for further replies.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
John asked if I would be willing to start a thread here at HDV about RBA's and as I thought about it I decided to start with why would anyone want to buy one. A little background is in order here to explain how I found HDV and RBA's. I have been vaping for a little over 2 years now, I started with Ego style batteries and pre-filled carts. I quickly found that I could save $ by refilling my own carts so I began ordering juice and refilling my old carts. I used to have to replace my batteries every couple of months or so, I dont know if I just always got bad ones or if the frequent power fluctuations/outages here in FL shortened their life but I got tired of constantly buying new batts not to mention always worrying about being caught without a working batt. This is what brought me to ECF, i found it researching how to take the next step in vaping. I have always looked for the next step to take to make vaping either less expensive, more reliable and more enjoyable. I found HDV researching DIY in order to bring down juice cost and have ordered all my DIY juice supplies from John since then.

I had settled into Boge cartos in some of Johns hand blown glass tanks as my everyday method and was really satisfied for awhile. I was getting about a week out of a carto at first and the cost was reasonable. Then Boge quality control fell off a cliff, I was lucky if I could get a day or two out of a carto at the end so I went in search of something else. I ordered a DID and since it arrived, about 3 months ago, I have not touched a carto.

RBA's have a definite learning curve and are not for everyone, they can be a little finicky and frustrating at times but when you finally get that perfect wick and coil dialed in the taste, throat hit and vapor can not be beat. So far I have not found out how long a SS wick will last as I have changed them out just to play with different wick materials and density. The coils, so far I get about a week out of before I change them out as they get gunked up. I would try cleaning them but at a few cents per coil, its just not worth the time.

Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings. I want to thank John for now carrying RBA's and supplies along with all his other great selection. I will say I am not an expert at rebuildables, there are others that are much more advanced than myself, but I am more than happy to answer any questions that I can or point you in the right direction to get them answered.

Orobas

Equine Disrespect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
Jarhead City
I've said it before but it bears repeating.

In the event that, god forbid, vaping supplies become inaccessable, due to over-taxing, over-regulation, being outlawed entirely, and/or the zombie apocalypse, the materials needed to keep your RBA going are still going to be affordable and obtainable. You can pinch off a bit of cotton balls for wicks, even!

I got my phoenix before HDV started carrying them, but this is really a great starting point for someone who wants to get into RBAs. It's pretty straight forward, with minimal small parts and tools required. It is virtually impossible to screw up. And though I love my tanks (particularly my froggie, hehe) my phoenix is my go-to delivery system when I've got dead tastebuds and need to restlessly swap fruits.

And let me tell you, if you're used to the tampon-in-a-tube cartomizers, the first hit off of those naked coils will make your eyes roll up while you mutter "sweet baby jesus..."

DZ

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2011
Littleton, CO
Nice thread, good reads so far :) I also have a few RBA's

I DIY my juice, even tho john makes a mean juice :) I truly don't know what I would do with out my rebuildable atomizer, it goes hand in hand with mixing. I can make 3-4 new flavors and try them and tweak them with the RBA with very little or no effort at all. You want to try a new flavor? break it down, rinse it off, give it a dry burn and on to the next flavor.

I mix for a few people so with the RBA it has saved me so much money on buying straight up atomizers, the coil pops just rebuild one and the more you do it the faster and better the coils get :)

I have forgot to say thanks John for carrying these :D

muffluvin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
John asked if I would be willing to start a thread here at HDV about RBA's and as I thought about it I decided to start with why would anyone want to buy one. A little background is in order here to explain how I found HDV and RBA's. I have been vaping for a little over 2 years now, I started with Ego style batteries and pre-filled carts. I quickly found that I could save $ by refilling my own carts so I began ordering juice and refilling my old carts. I used to have to replace my batteries every couple of months or so, I dont know if I just always got bad ones or if the frequent power fluctuations/outages here in FL shortened their life but I got tired of constantly buying new batts not to mention always worrying about being caught without a working batt. This is what brought me to ECF, i found it researching how to take the next step in vaping. I have always looked for the next step to take to make vaping either less expensive, more reliable and more enjoyable. I found HDV researching DIY in order to bring down juice cost and have ordered all my DIY juice supplies from John since then.

I had settled into Boge cartos in some of Johns hand blown glass tanks as my everyday method and was really satisfied for awhile. I was getting about a week out of a carto at first and the cost was reasonable. Then Boge quality control fell off a cliff, I was lucky if I could get a day or two out of a carto at the end so I went in search of something else. I ordered a DID and since it arrived, about 3 months ago, I have not touched a carto.

RBA's have a definite learning curve and are not for everyone, they can be a little finicky and frustrating at times but when you finally get that perfect wick and coil dialed in the taste, throat hit and vapor can not be beat. So far I have not found out how long a SS wick will last as I have changed them out just to play with different wick materials and density. The coils, so far I get about a week out of before I change them out as they get gunked up. I would try cleaning them but at a few cents per coil, its just not worth the time.

Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings. I want to thank John for now carrying RBA's and supplies along with all his other great selection. I will say I am not an expert at rebuildables, there are others that are much more advanced than myself, but I am more than happy to answer any questions that I can or point you in the right direction to get them answered.

Amen to that.

On the second week of vaping I was hooked on RBAs. If I have read more on my first week I shouldn't have bought all those vivis and kangers that are either collecting dust on my drawers or had tanks damaged by my ejuice and/or my carelessness.

Nothing beats the vaping experience an RBA gives. True it's a learning process but one can master it with persistence. And the rewards are truly awesome.

And here's proof of how RBA-Crazy I've been in the past 5 weeks :)

IMG_20121111_225535.jpg

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
And let me tell you, if you're used to the tampon-in-a-tube cartomizers, the first hit off of those naked coils will make your eyes roll up while you mutter "sweet baby jesus..."

I DIY my juice, even tho john makes a mean juice :)

Nothing beats the vaping experience an RBA gives. True it's a learning process but one can master it with persistence. And the rewards are truly awesome.

All so true, IMO you havent really experienced the true joy of vaping untill you have vaped Dueling Banjos on a well built SS wick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread