Readywick problems and terrible customer service

Status
Not open for further replies.

hypocritelecteur

Jun 23, 2015
Bought some readywick to try out. Just the $11 combination diameter pack. Shipping was really fast--got here like three days after I ordered it.

Unfortunately that's where the positive qualities end. What I received was three strands with frayed ends. I cut off a small length of the standard diameter and installed it into a new 2.5mm id coil. When vaped it produced a nasty flavor. Extremely bitter, terrible smell, induced a coughing fit. I tinkered a bit making sure it was installed correctly and thats when I noticed that the ends of the readywick had begun to unravel and the area around the coil was jet black. If I touch the ends I get little silver slivers on my fingers.

I took the wick out and torched it to clean it up. It turned black, shriveled, and produced the same noxious fumes.

Tried another piece, same result.
Finally, I just torched about half the length of the standard diameter strand without cutting it. All of it immediately turned black, shriveled up, and produced smoke. The small diameter piece performed better, but the ends still burnt like the standard. The thick also held up better than the standard but again the ends are frayed and unraveling and turn black and produce that nasty smoke when torched.

Huh, I thought, alright, something that was not entirely treated made it through QC. No problem, I'll snap some pictures and get it cleared up with rba supplies.

That's when I really got a headache... I'm just going to post the thread and let it speak for itself. In short he just kept pointing me to the marketing materials I had already viewed before purchase and telling me that they show that what was happening with the wick I received was not happening.

Me:
Comments: Hello, I bought the combination diameter bag of readywick. I have been experimenting with it today in my Squape Rs. I was under the impression that ceramic wicks do not burn, and to clean it you dry burn it until it is white again. Further, the pictures on the readywick site show that the ends are not supposed to fray.

The readywick I received both frays immediately on cutting it and roasts when dry burnt. The vapor produced tastes disgusting.

Is this just a QC issue and I may have received some readywick that was not fully treated or a fundamental misconception of the product?

Comments: Just compared it to some ordinary silica wick I had laying around. The readywick performs identically and looks identical to the ordinary silica wick.

Thanks,
xxxxx

RBASupplies:
Initially gave a long and polite response saying in essence, that their product will not burn and that it will turn white again when torched.

Me:
Here's what I mean by roasting and the degree of fraying: (pictures)
There's something wrong here. This isn't user error. I tried torching it with my mini butane and it burnt and shrivelled up. That picture with the smoke is a newly installed wick that is dry.

Them:
And this is what I mean by fraying (fliers from their site) - Also, in relation to the pictures that you showed, the wick with the burnt spot in the middle... 2 things, 1) it looks like you are using too small of a coil for it, and 2, if you hit that with a torch until it glows orange, it will go back to white.

Me:
I already read that flier. The ends on my readywick look like your picture of untreated.
I hit it with the torch. It is now entirely burnt. Black all over.

When I dry burn it, it smokes.
That coil is a standard 2.5mm id.
Do you need a video of it burning up or something?

Guess its to ECF.

Them:
"Guess it's to ECF"? What exactly do you mean by that?

Me:
I'm growing tired of the attitude. What I received is clearly defective but you aren't interested in hearing it. I just hit half of every diameter with a torch. It all immediately blackens and shrivels, producing a noxious fume.

The ends of the strands all look like the example picture of untreated wick, and all you are doing is getting defensive and blaming the messenger. This is ridiculous, and it doesn't need to be the big deal you're making it.

Them:
Ok, this conversation is officially over. I have done nothing but try to help you. Your claims are unfounded and false. Feel free to do whatever you feel you must. In fact, here are a couple of ECF threads for you. I wish you luck with your vaping experience and your attitude. Good day sir.

Me:
How are they unfounded? The stuff burns. It does not behave as advertised at all. Do you need a video of it?

Them:
Torch is LONGER and HOTTER and you might experience different results.

Me:
I did. Why won't you take my word for it? Exactly how long should I torch it? After 10s with the torch it has gone from white to black and shriveled. I've gone up to 30s and it just produces this noxious fume and continues to burn away.

The ends are frayed on both ends of all strands I received right out of the package.

Something slipped through QC. That happens. Tell me what you need from me to convince you.

cleardot.gif
Them:
Videos

In particular:

Burning:

Fraying:
cleardot.gif

Me:
I understand how it is supposed to work. When I torch mine it just blackens and smokes.

Them:
Watch the videos please.

Me:
I have watched it already! When I torch mine that is not what happens at all. When I torch whatever I received, it burns, turns black, and produces smoke. I don't understand why I have to repeat it. Would a video of it help? I can make a demo when I return home this evening.

cleardot.gif

Them:
Tell ya what, send ALL of it back. When I receive it, I'll give you your $11 back. Send it with tracking for proof of shipment.

Me:
I think I'd rather just post this e-mail thread and not do business with you going forward than pay for return shipping on an $11 order and hope you follow through. Your customer service is outrageously bad.

Maybe you're having a bad day or something. I just tried to report an issue and you got hostile. I've sent pictures. I've offered to create a video to convince you that in this instance something supbar made it through QC. That I can understand. The hostility I can't.
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

Last edited:

hypocritelecteur

Jun 23, 2015
I know, the way he handled it already robbed both of us of over the $11 order in time. I was trying to document and report it as an obvious QC oversight and move forward, not quibble over pennies. The pushback and disregard for what I was saying was puzzling, especially since I did not even ask for a refund or to return the merchandise, just reported a problem.

Anyway, buyer beware. This is how not to do customer service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread