Rebuildable Supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

tick22

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Vanceboro, NC
oh yes, if you have a Mech mod, a fuse may be very important to you.
Heard stories of nice coils that somehow ended up shorted once the top of the dripper was installed and bad things happened. Regulated APV you don't have to worry about and since you have a Vamo if i remember right, it will not fire any low ohm coils anyway.

I think 1.2 or 3 is the lowest, it could even be 1.5, I am not sure...

again, good luck

keithu2

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Honolulu, HI, USA
I just started to build my own coils. In fact my first working one a couple of nights ago.
The one thing everyone forgot to mention is.
No matter what goes wrong or looks funny, you forgot to do or it will not fire, don't give up, keep working at it.
patience is the key word....
being of the older generation, (Iam, not sure about you)The eyes are going, the hands shake a little more than they use to and little wires are nearly invisible to us...
it took a while to even keep a hold on the wire without it slipping or pulling through my fingers.
As each part of the build starts to take form, relax, then go to the next thing and when you finish the first one, if it does not fire, just take a breath, mutter to yourself and again smile.
then start again....

Now if those young whippersnappers tell you they make it on their first try and it worked, someone is either fibbing or should just keep quiet..
laughs...

Good luck and remember

patience

Good points! There are also threads in the RBA forum here and youtube videos galore, but you will have to find the best way that works for you. If you want perfect coils right away, there is a wire winding jig they sell on Amazon for jewelry making.

While I have a few other rda's, I still go back to my igo-w and provari for testing. I may not be able to sub' with the combination, but it gives me a consistent vape. Doing a single coil @ 1.5ohms - 4 volts with Wakonda right now.

Megan Kogijiki Ratchford

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2013
Arvada, CO
I just started to build my own coils. In fact my first working one a couple of nights ago.
The one thing everyone forgot to mention is.
No matter what goes wrong or looks funny, you forgot to do or it will not fire, don't give up, keep working at it.
patience is the key word....
being of the older generation, (Iam, not sure about you)The eyes are going, the hands shake a little more than they use to and little wires are nearly invisible to us...
it took a while to even keep a hold on the wire without it slipping or pulling through my fingers.
As each part of the build starts to take form, relax, then go to the next thing and when you finish the first one, if it does not fire, just take a breath, mutter to yourself and again smile.
then start again....

Now if those young whippersnappers tell you they make it on their first try and it worked, someone is either fibbing or should just keep quiet..
laughs...

Good luck and remember

patience

Brought up a good point about holding the wire on the drill bit or whatever you use I have to use a pair of needle nose pliers to grip the wire as I coil as I'm a broken kitteh...:blush:

kinggirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2013
Dallas
Not sure if I'm too late in the game but here are the things that I ordered that I have found I use most. I ordered everything under the sun in the beginning but these are the only things I use now. If you have an amazon prime account you get free 2 day shipping on everything. But, amazon was cheaper than most suppliers for all.

for wrapping coils - Amazon.com: Artistic Wire Coiling Gizmo(R) Deluxe Winder for Jewelry Making

for fine tuning stuff with the coil http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00177X9OO/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

scissors that work GREAT for precision Xuron 440 High Precision Scissor: Wire Cutters: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

cotton Amazon.com : Koh Gen Do Pure Cotton - 60 Pads : Eye Makeup Removers : Beauty

very fine tip tweezers Aven 18072EZ E-Z Pik Style 7 Precision Tweezer, Stainless Steel, 4-1/2" Length: Science Lab Tweezers: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

28g wire TEMCo Kanthal Wire 28 Gauge - 100 FT 0.61 oz Series A-1 Resistance AWG: Electrical Wires: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Hebram

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2014
Oakland, Tennessee, United States
Not sure if I'm too late in the game but here are the things that I ordered that I have found I use most. I ordered everything under the sun in the beginning but these are the only things I use now. If you have an amazon prime account you get free 2 day shipping on everything. But, amazon was cheaper than most suppliers for all.

for wrapping coils - Amazon.com: Artistic Wire Coiling Gizmo(R) Deluxe Winder for Jewelry Making

for fine tuning stuff with the coil http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00177X9OO/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

scissors that work GREAT for precision Xuron 440 High Precision Scissor: Wire Cutters: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

cotton Amazon.com : Koh Gen Do Pure Cotton - 60 Pads : Eye Makeup Removers : Beauty

very fine tip tweezers Aven 18072EZ E-Z Pik Style 7 Precision Tweezer, Stainless Steel, 4-1/2" Length: Science Lab Tweezers: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

28g wire TEMCo Kanthal Wire 28 Gauge - 100 FT 0.61 oz Series A-1 Resistance AWG: Electrical Wires: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I stumbled across that wire wrapper on Amazon while shopping and was like "What the hell. For $7.00 and free shipping, I'll give it a shot." I also went with that 28 gauge Temco Kanthal, Koh Gen Do cotton, a volt-ohm meter with a 510 connector for convenience, and an inexpensive jeweler's visor with a light.

When I lived in the LA area, I did contract IT work for Hakko. They hooked me up with lots of quality electronic hand tools, so I am set in that area for a very long time.

I just replaced my broken Kindle a few weeks ago. When I registered it, Amazon give me Prime for a month. I only had to pay shipping on the cotton. =)

Last edited:

distortoblotto

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
S.F/ Seattle
Here's my essentials which I just realized are missing my second looping tool and the various drill bits I use for making adjustments.

the tools.....jpg

geezer glasses.jpg

distortoblotto

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
S.F/ Seattle
IMO Ceramic tweezers are a must. Hesitated to purchase them at first but, glad I did. They are great for squeezing and torching coils but, where they really shine is in making fine adjustments to get the most "glow" from your coils while they are fired. However, a very gentle touch is needed while doing so otherwise the coil you mangle could be your own! :?:

mistike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Los Angeles, CA, USA
I recently got into it too, when I got a KFL+ and a few clones. It's fun and easy enough.

Kanthal A1 wire (gauge suggestions?) - I mostly use 29, a happy medium between 28 and 30 ! Mostly because I find it easier to work with, no super scientific reason. I bought it from Temco on Amazon
Organic cotton - Bought a pack of organic unbleached cotton balls at Whole Foods
Hand torch - A lighter will suffice. Maybe one with a long neck, made for gas stoves. I do it directly on the Provari.
Tweezers - Flat or pointy.
Cutters - I use a pair of nail scissors. Nail cutter works well too. You also need regular scissors to cut your wicking material.
5/64 screwdriver for wrapping (other size suggestions?) - I saw a few tutorials with 1/16. I ah, use a toothpick. Because my smaller drill bits are long lost. I have no idea how big is the one I could find, not in inches anyway. This whole fractional thing makes my head hurt.
Volt-Ohm meter - Mandatory, unless your mod can check them. Bought mine at madvapes.

Don't forget some paper towels or something like that. And a couple small cups to keep the small parts (screws and drip tips have a habit of disappearing for no reasons. Kinda like spoons and socks).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread