Recommend Me a TC MTL Build Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

G and C

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2014
California
I'm not new to vaping, but I am pretty new to building. I've been doing my own coils for only a month or so now, and it's been exclusively 28g Kanthal a1 at 3mm and 8-9 wraps for about 1.7-1.8 ohms. At about 13w on my istick TC40w, it's a very nice, cool MTL vape for me.

All this talk about how much better TC is has me wanting to at least give it a shot, but the number of threads that talk about MTL and TC are few, and left me feeling pretty confused. Can anyone help me out with a good MTL TC build, from what kind of wire, gauge, wraps, ID, etc? I'd love to give it a go, but I'm still feeling lost here.

Thanks for any help!

Reactions: A Mukherjee

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
You can't use TC with kanthal wire. ... need SS or Ti or Nickel wire...

WHAT IS ATOMIZER? Can't suggest build without an atty to put it in....

You want to warm your vape now with the 28awg... use smaller coil id and fewer wrap.... or twist 2 strands together and about 1/2 the wraps as you 1.8 coils...
Adding wraps 2 or more and turn up the watts may also warm the vape a bit.

Model some builds in steam-engine.org. watch the Heat Flux and Capacity... flux is coil temp... capacity is speed and amount of heat transmitted.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

G and C

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2014
California
No, I actually don't want to warm my vape up. I want it nice and cool like I have it now. And I'm aware that I can't do TC with Kanthal, and with the iStick tc40w I'm using, I can't even use SS I don't think.

Atomizers are a Kayfun Mini v3, a couple of Doggy Styles, and a Berserker when they finally come out (it's on preorder). I can't find anything on the steam-engine.org site that helps with TC. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
No, I actually don't want to warm my vape up. I want it nice and cool like I have it now. And I'm aware that I can't do TC with Kanthal, and with the iStick tc40w I'm using, I can't even use SS I don't think.

Atomizers are a Kayfun Mini v3, a couple of Doggy Styles, and a Berserker when they finally come out (it's on preorder). I can't find anything on the steam-engine.org site that helps with TC. Is there a setting I'm missing?
Even though TC devices have a setting for SS. You can use SS in power/watt mode with no fear.
Its Titanium and Nickle that TC is needed for.
Fact is, for MTL and the 1.8 ohm coils you prefer, Using SS, Ti or Nickle might not be such a good idea as they all have a lower resistance than Kanthal.
EXAMPLE:
Your 28ga. / 1.8 ohm Kanthal builds are approx. 3-5 wraps.
Using 28ga. SS to get a 1.8 ohm build will need approx. 5-8 wraps. ( Will you have the space to fit the larger coil?) Same will go for the Ti & Ni wire.
With Nichrome you don't need TC either. Problem with Nichrome, You'll need 10 wraps, if not more to build a 1.5 ohm coil.
Nichrome is the least resistant of the wires.
IMO, Nichrome gets the vape going the fastest & gives the full juice flavor.
Most of the time the 0.5 ohm vertical stock coils use a welded coil wire.
That would be, NR-R-NR ( Non Resistant- Resistant- Non Resistant ) The wires welded on both end are usually Nickle (or) Nichcrome, with the wire in the middle being Kanthal.
The wire below is Ni- SS -Ni ........
$2.52 Authentic MKWS NR-R-NR Resistance Wire for RBA Atomizers (100-Pack) - 28 AWG/30AWG / 0.3mm dia./0.25mm dia. / 0.5ohm / 120mm/pc at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Last edited:
Reactions: G and C
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread