Repairing mod center pin problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portertown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Greenville, NC, USA
I know must of the veteran forum members know about this fix, but I though I would post for any new members that may encounter this problem so they would know there was a fix.

I don't know how many different types of mods this fix will work on, but I seen it done on a few.

The center, positive post on my Evic head had lowered to the point that it would not make contact with my tanks at times and I would have to use something small to "work" it back up. This is due to the insulator that fits into the grove on the positive post had given up(slightly crushed).

First make sure your device is off or it possible take out the battery. You will be working between the positive and negative contact areas.

I picked up a pack of 10 orings of the #60 size in the Lowes plumbing section for a couple of dollars.

I pulled the center pin up very gently, being careful not to break the bottom attached wire, until it was even with the top of the negative outer post (the part with the female 510 threads). I then cut the oring into on one side so that I could open it up and work it around the center, positive post. I used a very small screw driver and worked the oring and the center post down until it was seated back in it's original position.

Problem solved.

The only negative is the oring is split and any leaking juice may go by it. But that was already an existing problem with the crushed insulator. I am sure there is a link on this forum or Youtube that goes into more detail with pictures.

Portertown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Greenville, NC, USA
What is the o-ring material? Could you do something similar with a silicon or rubber o-ring and just stretch it over the center post to keep the seal (mostly) intact?
I am not sure what material the orings are made of. They are a black rubber. The brand name is Danco #96774. Size is 1/4 x 1/8 x 1/16.
They do not have much stretch to them at all. You may can find a softer material, but the center pin is not supported at all when you raise it, only held by the small wire. I don't know if you could "work" a softer oring over the head of the center pin or not. The location that the oring ends up on the center pin is smaller in diameter than the head of the center pin that you would have to work it over.

volume control

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
Mass
Ive done this mod and I believe I posted it in the evic section. Here is a photo of my evic with #60 o ring

WP_000542.jpg

Portertown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Greenville, NC, USA
Ive done this mod and I believe I posted it in the evic section. Here is a photo of my evic with #60 o ring

View attachment 285564

Thanks.

Your post is probably where I saw the fix. You saved my Evic head. There is a girl on Youtube doing the same fix on a different brand mod.

Can you post the link to your fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread