resistance on atty's keeps climbing, even after i clean them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakota

ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Kalifornia
So I've already had one die, and the other one's resistance keeps creeping up to 5.0. I clean them, and then they last for about 20 min, and then the same thing happens. These are 4 week old attys (and I've already bought more) but I was wondering if something else is causing them to keep doing this. Is it age? My liquids haven't changed. I've never had this problem with my 402 attys. They lasted 5 months. :confused:

wolcen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2011
Boston, MA
www.wolcen.com
Well...I've not experienced this (to my knowledge - I rarely check my atty resistance) but found the question interesting, so I tried looking for an answer myself. No luck really. (For instance, see the unresolved http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/experiments-equipment/42115-dry-burn-cleaning-atomizer.html )

The only thing I could theorize (i.e. blowing vapor up your...wait, has anyone come up with an equivalent for this yet?), is that perhaps there are micro-fractures in the coil (from dripping cool liquid on a hot coil). If there are residuals from your cleaning that are more conductive than e-juice, then perhaps it's benefit is lost as that is evaporated/burned up. The additional current they allow the coil to handle is then lost.

Dunno.

So - what do you use for cleaning and how much drying time do you allow? Does a dry burn do the same thing to the resistance after a cleaning (look at highping's method - http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tips-tricks/69834-my-atty-resurrection-method.html if you haven't tried dry burning before)?

Dakota

ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Kalifornia
Dry burning worked great on my 402 attys, but they don't seem to be friendly to the 510s... my last one went to a resistance of FIVE HUNDRED after a dry burn (showed 2.8 a minute before I refilled it with liquid, but then it wouldn't vape), and so I took it apart, only to find that the coil looked like it had a white corrosion all over it. I used a flashlight on my other atty, and it is showing signs of the same thing.

I use one of two cleaning meathods. USUALLY, I blow out the gunk, and then soak it in HOT water, rinse, and let dry for the evening. I've used alcohol, too, but never found that it did a better job. I'm now afraid to do a dry burn (at least until I get my other two new attys). I usually let the coil burn orange for no more than 3-4 seconds to avoid popping it.

fairweasel2323

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
Marion, OH
DoctorVapor
Re: cleaning attys
Here is my method of cleaning attys. I don't. I've found that cleaning them causes them to die a lot quicker. I just use them till they break, and when I change flavors, I simply vape through the old flavor till the new one becomes dominant.

DoctorVapor
Re: cleaning attys
yep, it's fine to blow the juice out. That won't hurt anything.
Sent to: fairweasel2323

wolcen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2011
Boston, MA
www.wolcen.com
Just wanted to say that I wouldn't base anything on any one person's experiences. There is no perfect how-to guide AFAIK. Many people here have used highpings method to successfully revive a dying or nearly dead atomizer. In the Dr.'s videos he also mentions that only he used atties for dripping for only several months and that he normally uses only carto's. FWIW, he also cleans carto's by boiling. Could be that there are two different Dr's involved here? :)

fairweasel2323

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
Marion, OH
same Dr. that was his reply when I msg. him and asked his best method of cleaning out a 510 atty. He does usually only drip or use cartos I have heard him say that, but he has been vaping for years has tons of knowledge and hes not the only one whose told me not to clean them! Im not cleaning mine, just simply blowing the atty out by mouth from time to time so ill let u know how long they last. I dont think that introducing other chemicals is good for them, if I was to clean mine I would just use hot distilled water and let it air dry out for a couple days. I wont never dry burn I have been told by many thats the worst thing u can do to a atty!! Even if u dont pop it by burning it too long just not good to heat up a dry atty there intended to be heated while wet!

fairweasel2323

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
Marion, OH
posted his channel and the replies he sent back to me. Also other ECF Vets have said over cleaning them will cause them to die sooner. Now if u have one ready to die Im sure there is a way to get a little more life out of it, but the only way my attys are getting cleaned is by Doctor Vapors advice and another vet. who said only use distilled water and let air dry and only if really needed. And my Friend has been vaping for awhile uses what I believe to be straight PG clear liquid?? ( I will have to ask him exactly what it was, worked good to get rid of strong blueberry taste)! He used it with a syringe to squirt into the atty and it helped cleaned the E-Liquid out.

fairweasel2323

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
Marion, OH
I have known of attys lasting longer then 2 months without cleaning. But my one atty was getting harder to vape so I tried the dry burn on my 510-t atty it vapes better but got a nasty burnt taste seems to be getting better after I dropped a few drops of E-Liquid into it and letting the liquid flow down out of tank into the atty. Is it not a good idea to dry burn on a tank atty? Did i do something wrong rinsed with hot water blew atty out then dry burned it. I got tons of nasty smelling vapor out of it?

JWebb

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2011
St. Louis USA
Fairweasel, many advocate a dry burn for cleaning, but most of the veterans seem to suggest otherwise. An atty is meant to stay moist and dry burn just frys the atty and wick and gives that burnt taste. Many as I suggest you try everclear alcohol, or whire vinagar for 15-20 minute soak, rinse with hot water well, and then re-apply your favorite juice 4-5 drops if you drip. Sems to work for me and my atty last for months. The only ones I lost are when I tried a dry burn, they never come back the same. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread