Retired!

Status
Not open for further replies.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Did you have an attorney specializing in SSI claims?
    Yep. Though he only stands to make some money if I was to be approved, even he doesn't feel like like my case is winnable enough to waste any more time on it. Basically, the facts that my former GF/now roommate supports me and I guess that I just don't have 'enough epilepsy' don't weigh in my favor..

ImperfectFuture

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 5, 2014
    Seattle
    I'm 62 and retired on SSDI. Found that didn't need attorney, cases were best handled by myself. I was offered free attorney help for expedited reinstatement when I was 59 (had gone back to work for Amazon) - but they lost it when it was not a new application. They obviously would take a chunk if they won, there was back pay, but they were confused.

Final approval was when I was 61 (Covid delayed the approval, along with some political orders found out later). Now, at 62, I work on life improvements (very little alcohol as opposed to my daily binge, healthier diet, obviously vaping over smoking).

New hobbies, handle finances better, electronics (antenna to tivo bolt, moca network, tivo mini lux, general networking), making juice, going to learn to build rda's and rta's, and changing habits for healthier home. Also, reading, web site development,

I could think about working, and I often do, but not sure what the ole body is capable of. My goal is to beat the trend for my condition. The oldest that my doctors knew whom lived with it was 85. But I have seen similar conditions make it to the 90's. That is my goal, to be reevaluated at 84 according to pain level (if I make it to 84).

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    I'm 62 and retired on SSDI. Found that didn't need attorney, cases were best handled by myself. I was offered free attorney help for expedited reinstatement when I was 59 (had gone back to work for Amazon) - but they lost it when it was not a new application. They obviously would take a chunk if they won, there was back pay, but they were confused.

Final approval was when I was 61 (Covid delayed the approval, along with some political orders found out later). Now, at 62, I work on life improvements (very little alcohol as opposed to my daily binge, healthier diet, obviously vaping over smoking).

New hobbies, handle finances better, electronics (antenna to tivo bolt, moca network, tivo mini lux, general networking), making juice, going to learn to build rda's and rta's, and changing habits for healthier home. Also, reading, web site development,

I could think about working, and I often do, but not sure what the ole body is capable of. My goal is to beat the trend for my condition. The oldest that my doctors knew whom lived with it was 85. But I have seen similar conditions make it to the 90's. That is my goal, to be reevaluated at 84 according to pain level (if I make it to 84).

I'm retired on SSDI as well. I used an attorney whom I never saw or even spoke to. It was always legal aides. The one thing they did that I'm sure got my case approved the first go around was that I got to use my doctor's own report, not one of social security's doctors. A psych case getting approved the first try is rare, so I felt it was worth it.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    Found that didn't need attorney, cases were best handled by myself.
    That's just what I thought the first time I applied, the first and second times I appealed the first denial, and the first time I actually had to go to a Federal SSI courthouse in Virginia..

jjcordone

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 29, 2011
    Rhode Island
    I'm coming up to the decision of if I should just add part B and part D or go for an advantage plan.
    My COPD med is so expensive I'm thinking comparing the cost of this might be the way.
    Some people have told me an advantage plan is much more monthly and doesn't really help that much on prescriptions. I wish this was easier to figure out........

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    I'm coming up to the decision of if I should just add part B and part D or go for an advantage plan.
    My COPD med is so expensive I'm thinking comparing the cost of this might be the way.
    Some people have told me an advantage plan is much more monthly and doesn't really help that much on prescriptions. I wish this was easier to figure out........

It depends on the plan. Mine doesn't add any more per month than my part B and covers my meds pretty well. I think it depends on two things, where you live and your health. You might try calling one of those Medicare counselors.

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana

My Advantage plan is $20 a month, in some States it's free. It has saved me a lot more than that over the years, maybe not so much in prescriptions but on care generally. I'm not sure why they do that. Maybe it's that they make such obscene amounts of money overall that it's small change to the ins companies. Or they know many seniors would just cut back on health care otherwise so it's better for them to get a little money out of us than none. Whatever, it's worth having IMO. There may be small differences in different companies Advantage plans but it's a crap shoot, whether this one is better than that one depends on what health care you need next year.

It being hard to figure out isn't a bug, it's a feature. Pharma pays the pols to let them keep it that way so it's easier for them to get in our pockets.

borno

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 31, 2019
    land of pleasant living
    July 29th was my last day. I tried a week of working part time but my heart wasn't into it. So I'm hanging it up.

It feels great. Time to get some stuff done around the house, spend more time with my wife, do some things that make me happy, and start pondering the imponderable.

Congratulations Ed! I've got a week and a half to go myself. Can't wait.:)

ImperfectFuture

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 5, 2014
    Seattle

I was part D and part B for many years, then got spoiled on Amazon health plan. When went back to Medicare, did the old way for 1.5 years. Just switched this year to advantage plan (Regence), HMO, though they have PPO. Cost of drugs same for both, no monthly premium.

The cost of prescriptions was lower (granted, been on same meds since the 1990's, main condition started end of 1984). Hop on the Medicare site, and put your meds in, then look up some prices. Note, they will be this year's prices, can't get next year's till October (unless you have special cost help that allows switching any time).

ImperfectFuture

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 5, 2014
    Seattle
    My Advantage plan is $20 a month, in some States it's free. It has saved me a lot more than that over the years, maybe not so much in prescriptions but on care generally. I'm not sure why they do that. Maybe it's that they make such obscene amounts of money overall that it's small change to the ins companies. Or they know many seniors would just cut back on health care otherwise so it's better for them to get a little money out of us than none. Whatever, it's worth having IMO. There may be small differences in different companies Advantage plans but it's a crap shoot, whether this one is better than that one depends on what health care you need next year.

It being hard to figure out isn't a bug, it's a feature. Pharma pays the pols to let them keep it that way so it's easier for them to get in our pockets.

I asked Regence why Part D only plans were more expansive. Advantage plans get a cut of the Medicare premium, Part D only pans do not. So this year, with the unneeded raise in Part B premiums for that Alzheimer's drug, they are making out like bandits (probably 60 to 70 from premium, just guessing). This didn't used to be the case, back in the 2000's. That is when they got a bad rap. Don't know when they started getting a cut.

• Informative
    Reactions: englishmick

Tor R

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 4, 2020
    Mandal, Norway
    www.kinnheia.com
    July 29th was my last day. I tried a week of working part time but my heart wasn't into it. So I'm hanging it up.

It feels great. Time to get some stuff done around the house, spend more time with my wife, do some things that make me happy, and start pondering the imponderable.
    Congratz Ed !

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread