Reviewing and Taste Buds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2009
A fool on the hill in Deposit, NY
I hope this is not too terribly off-topic here, but this is addressed specifically to reviewers, so this seemed like the place...

I know all of you guys spend a lot of time testing different juices, which, perforce, involves a lot of vaping and comparing and taking a hit here and there to verify a flavor impression, th, etc. I take several hits to verify my impression of every category - which is a lot.

Does this affect your taste buds at all? This morning I woke with a strange problem: I can't taste sweetness in my vape at all, and all tobacco tastes like fish. And some juices I can taste just fine, and some not at all. :blink:

Before I started systematically working on reviews, my taste buds would take a hike, or a stroll, once in a while, but it just involved losing much of the entire flavor spectrum for all juices. The is way different. I mean - fish? I'm flabbergasted - I keep taking a puff on different tobaccos, and sure enough - fish. :confused:

I guess I won't be writing any reviews today. Durn. I was planning to review the Cheesecake Torte from Highbrow... And muchly looking forward to it, too - great juice.

Do you think this kind of selective taste bud amnesia can happen from switching juices too many times or something?

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Good question, Briar. I don't have a clue.

It's like my broadband. Most of the time it's fine---stable, fast, yadayada. Every so often, however, maybe once every two weeks, I open my browser or check my email and... nothing. No connection. It's never anything I've done, and my iMac is fine. The internet has just vanished on me. I don't know why, and there's nothing I can do about it. Then, 15 minutes or half an hour later, my broadband is magically back and everything is fine again. A sneak preview of post-carbon collapse perhaps?

Same thing with my taste buds. Every so often they go south. For a brief sabbatical, apparently. I have no idea why. All I can do is wait until they return.

Never had your fish thing, though. Just mostly meh with a slight sourness.

ogredog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2011
fontana,Cali
Most of the time it's fine. Have a weird day every once in awhile when I can't taste anything, havesometimes had flavors change on me, have been more persistent with some and really start to enjoy flavors I didn't think was all that great. Sometimes after awhile I don't care for something I once loved. That's why I at least try a juice for a few hours report my experience, vape it as I type it and leave it alone.

I screw up a lot, do my best to report honestly and accurately and have a lot of fun doing it

thehangdude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
My taste buds have never done that. After 35 years of smoking, I do have trouble with some flavors. But the flavors always taste the same, even if I don't taste them right. Some tobaccos have a metal, tinny flavor. Some coffees taste like bitter nuts. Coconut seems to always have a hint of pineapple. And everything from China has a diet sweetener flavor.

samwest

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2011
Gainesville Texas
Gosh! That sucks for you folks! I have noticed even my Boba's is kinda meh. I firmly believe it's all due to the fact that I'm hooked on nose spray. If you've ever been hooked on this crap you know what a problem it is to get off of it. If you have any trouble at all smellin' then yer not gonna taste yer juice very well. Same goes for allergies, colds, etc even if you don't know yer experiencing these symptoms. But fish? eewwww. Hey didn't we just go ver this awhile back? So many threads; so little time. Hey, it'll pass!

Briar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2009
...A sneak preview of post-carbon collapse perhaps? ...

More like quantum mechanics inexplicably manifesting in the macro world... :glare:

... That's why I at least try a juice for a few hours report my experience, vape it as I type it and leave it alone. ...

Yeah... I usually try to vape something for a week at least before I review it... You just never know. At least this way it averages out, mostly, I hope.

...And everything from China has a diet sweetener flavor. ...

LOL Yes, it does at that.

... But fish? eewwww. ...

Aha. The worst. My RY4 tastes like caramely fish. My Just Peachy tastes like peachy fish. God help me... :(

VegasVaporz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Las Vegas
Just make sure you drink alot of water. It cleans your pallet. I'm sure this isn't helpful but I drink wine before I do my reviews. Come to think about, I drink wine alot. So it could just be I do reviews when I'm drinking wine haha. I vape mostly fruit flavors, so for me, the wine makes them taste sweeter. Idk lol it works for me. >…<

VegasVaporz
Get your mouth off my driptip...
YouTube.com/VegasVaporz
Facebook.com/VegasVaporz

Briar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2009
I'm with Vegas.....wine helps everything.

Wine gives me a headache... :( Vodka, on the other hand... :party: But writing a review with vodka in me - I just don't know. Doesn't really sound like a good idea - vodka shuts down my taste buds to everything but herring, it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread