Richmond, VA Hospital System will no longer hire nicotine users, including vapers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fb305

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
Kentucky
That's ridiculous, last time I checked nicotine, and tobacco too for that matter are not illegal in this country. I can understand banning smoking and vaping on the premises but they want to control what their employees do on their own time. What's the difference in that and not hiring people who are over weight or drink alcohol on their own time? It's a shame that the job market is so bad in this country that they can even get away with that!

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
I would hire a smoker over a alcoholic any day . Seriously cigs are legal . It should be against the law for anyone to not hire you for smoking at least until smoking is illegal . Whats next ,overweight people wont get hired cuz that could be more unhealthy then cigs . I think every doctor iv been to has been overweight . Should they all be fired too and further increase our countries unemployment rate .

DigiTechDude

Apr 22, 2010
USA
These hospitols have every right to hire (or not hire) whoever they want, for any reason. Be it, smokers, vapers, alcoholics, blacks, people without degrees, people without previous medical experience, etc. It's a business and can be run however the owners and investors see fit. This is free market economics. Creating laws to restrict how they can run their businesses, like the MANY they already have to obey or be shut down, fined (taxed), etc. will only increase the cost of medical services and cause them to be even more "exclusive".

Jaguar G

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Just west of Cool, Texas
These hospitols have every right to hire (or not hire) whoever they want, for any reason. Be it, smokers, vapers, alcoholics, blacks, people without degrees, people without previous medical experience, etc. It's a business and can be run however the owners and investors see fit. This is free market economics. Creating laws to restrict how they can run their businesses, like the MANY they already have to obey or be shut down, fined (taxed), etc. will only increase the cost of medical services and cause them to be even more "exclusive".

That is true, but I would prefer the best person for the job be hired, especially when when my life may be at stake. I am not from this location, but Baylor here in TX recently did the same thing, and I disagree with it. I would rather have a doctor who is excellent and smokes than one who is a screw up, but hey, he doesn't smoke.

As a patient I would prefer the best person for the job over extraneous BS like this.

Just my $0.02.

Jag :vapor:

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ

Explain to me again how a hospital is allowed to discriminate (your words-not hire blacks) because it somehow keeps the costs of medical services down.

This ought to be good.

ambientech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
somewhere
It's all good because they are already talking about adding sin taxes to soda and fast food. Next will be booze then cholesterol then weight then a dna test looking for markers of diseases you may develop later in life. All of those people who wanted to discriminate against legal activities will regret the door they opened

DigiTechDude

Apr 22, 2010
USA
That is true, but I would prefer the best person for the job be hired, especially when when my life may be at stake. I am not from this location, but Baylor here in TX recently did the same thing, and I disagree with it. I would rather have a doctor who is excellent and smokes than one who is a screw up, but hey, he doesn't smoke.

As a patient I would prefer the best person for the job over extraneous BS like this.

I absolutely agree. The thing is, it's not necessarily a matter of either a smoker who is the best, or a non smoker who is a screw up. So long as there are enough very capable, competent, and skilled non-nicotine using doctors there will be no reason for the power that be at that organization to set aside their prejudice against nicotine users. That's fine though, it is what it is. In my area there are several hospitols I can use. They are not all run by the same people or group and they each have certain areas of expertise. Competition and the free market win in the end.

DigiTechDude

Apr 22, 2010
USA
Explain to me again how a hospital is allowed to discriminate (your words-not hire blacks) because it somehow keeps the costs of medical services down.

This ought to be good.

They are not allowed to discriminate because it keeps costs down (discriminating against minorities does not). They are have the right, as businesses owned and run by individuals, to run their business as they see fit, to hire those they choose to based upon any criteria, and to serve customers as they see fit. These are individual liberties, natural rights, which are protected in this country. Laws restricting how an individual can run his business are violations of that individual's Constitutional rights, and are detrimental to the business and to customers. Costs increase for many reasons, among them less choice to the owner for how to run the business efficiently and cost effectively, less choice to market the business as the owner sees fit, among other reasons.

Taniger1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2011
Pasco, Washington
Actually this is going to be pretty funny. Strangly enough, most respiratory therapists smoke. Nurses, and support staff. I know a few Doc's who smoke but I'll grant you not many Doc's. With healthcare folk more and more in demand, well, we'll see how well they do. I bet this ends up being what they call a "black law" meaning it's on the books but not enforced. It will end up getting used to fire or let someone go whom "somebody" has a beef against.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread