Not open for further replies.

fatherdano

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2012
ohio
Hello Reofolk,

Picked up a Rogue of the classies and have yet to build on it.

For the past 2 years all my builds have been on the RM2's. I've watched Russ's video on the Rogue but was looking for some additional input on the different builds I can accomplish with this atty.

MTL preferably. What is a good drip tip for it? Guage of wire? Cotton still king?
Best builds for flavor? VG/PG blends make any difference with it?

My RM2's are right around 1.0 now if that helps.

May try to get back to unflavored but enjoy my 'boutique' juice also.

Thanks in advance,

dano

RuDawg7890

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
Sinking Spring, PA, USA
Hi Dano! Going from a RM2 to the Rogue is going to be a huge difference, I believe!

I've had both the authentic & clone Rogue, sold the clone but kept the authentic. The clone I had, the afc cap wasn't very tight, so even with the afc closed all the way down, still to airy for MTL. With the authentic, the fit is perfect, and could be set for MTL.

I prefer 26ga duals, 6 2mm wraps, comes to .37 ohms, might be too hot for your liking though, but this is a flavor machine build for me on the Rogue!

I used KGD cotton for a long time, but recently switched to Rayon.

LittleBird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
East Coast, USA
Hey, Dano. Don't have an RM2 to compare, but I do run a couple of Rogue authentics. Great flavor! I build dual coils, 26ga 7 wraps each (spaced) on a 2.5 rod. Comes to .49-.5. I wick with either KGD or Cotton Bacon. Not at all hot. My DTs are wood and Trustone, from DripTipDesignz - the 5/8 inch ones. Hope this is helpful. Enjoy the Rogue! (BTW, I also have a couple of Manta2's. They are my all time favs!)

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Wellll... intrisically, RM2 = night, Rogue = day.

The Rogue shines with a dual coil setup - I run mine in the net .4ish ohm range (2 x .8ohms). It's a bit of a beast compared to the RM2, but it's also quite versatile, so I'm sure you'll get a setup that suits you.

If you want MTL & flavour, I'd suggest...

* single coil with either 28g or 30g wire, maybe something in the .8ohm range.
* place the coil towards the outer edge of the deck and as high as you can without hitting the top cap.
* cotton (say, KGD) is cool, wicks just long enough to touch the deck.
* start with afc about 1/4 open (note that you cannot disengage the second air hole), place air hole over the coil.
* use a narrow dt - maybe start with the one from the RM2 since you know it so well.

I'd also suggest you play with the air (go ahead, try it a little more open) and a wider dt. Who knows, you just might like a bit of a wilder vape, and the Rogue has plenty of range beyond that to get your freak on.

It's also my personal opinion that it's not that much of a jump to try a "conservative" dual setup - maybe two 1.2ohm coils for a net of .6 (30g wire is prolly easiest for this). It's not radically different, just more ooomph. Try a little more air and a wider dt if you do try it.

fatherdano

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2012
ohio

The Rogue shines with a dual coil setup - I run mine in the net .4ish ohm range (2 x .8ohms). It's a bit of a beast compared to the RM2, but it's also quite versatile, so I'm sure you'll get a setup that suits you.

* place the coil towards the outer edge of the deck and as high as you can without hitting the top cap.
* start with afc about 1/4 open (note that you cannot disengage the second air hole), place air hole over the coil.
* use a narrow dt - maybe start with the one from the RM2 since you know it so well.

I'd also suggest you play with the air (go ahead, try it a little more open) and a wider dt. Who knows, you just might like a bit of a wilder vape, and the Rogue has plenty of range beyond that to get your freak on.

It's also my personal opinion that it's not that much of a jump to try a "conservative" dual setup - maybe two 1.2ohm coils for a net of .6 (30g wire is prolly easiest for this). It's not radically different, just more ooomph. Try a little more air and a wider dt if you do try it.

Thanks for the ideas.

I do seem to like a bit of oomph lol. compared to a sometimes passive draw I get from a fading battery on a rm2.
I've got a few reos so im setting one up for the more aggressive 'let me have it' vape.

Is twisted wire or braided wire something to consider?

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
A twisted coil would be a good way to get more oomph and is built (once twisted) just like a single coil. It's essentially a parallel coil, so would have a lot of the same characteristics of a dual setup. However, because the Rogue has two air holes (and no way around that), I'm thinking that a "straight" dual setup would play more to its strengths.

You could go 'all in' and do a dual twisted build, but that, my friend, is a LOT different than your familiar RM2 setup :)

'Let me have it', indeed.

fatherdano

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2012
ohio
A twisted coil would be a good way to get more oomph and is built (once twisted) just like a single coil. It's essentially a parallel coil, so would have a lot of the same characteristics of a dual setup. However, because the Rogue has two air holes (and no way around that), I'm thinking that a "straight" dual setup would play more to its strengths.

You could go 'all in' and do a dual twisted build, but that, my friend, is a LOT different than your familiar RM2 setup :)

'Let me have it', indeed.
What will that do to the flavor im used to though?
any suggestions for what kind of wire to get?

Reactions: RuDawg7890

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
For the wire, I'd say round kanthal A1 from either Temco or Lightning Vapes. Prolly gauges in the 26, 28, and 30 range would suit you. Maybe some 32 if you want to stick to higher resistances.

What will it do the flavour? Why, it would take it to the next level, knock it out of the park, and change the paradigm, I should expect. Seriously, it should improve (although, the RM2 ain't no slouch) if anything.

fatherdano

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2012
ohio

Ahhh yeah.. night and day is correct. I definitely am not a lung hitter.
Don't know what I was thinking. I never smoked that way so im not sure why I thought it would be my cup of tea...

Rogue for sale lol ...

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
Ahhh yeah.. night and day is correct. I definitely am not a lung hitter.
Don't know what I was thinking. I never smoked that way so im not sure why I thought it would be my cup of tea...

Rogue for sale lol ...
lol been there buddy still running my rm2 every once and a while I will give the large atomizers a try its doesn't take long and I am back to the rm2 . They just don't work for mouth to lung guys as far as I can tell .

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Wow, six kids - fatherdano, indeed.

Well, ya tried and now ya know. Good for you for being willing to experiment.

Those RM2's might just do it for you for good - great little atties. Maybe do try a build just like you like it in the RM2 on the Rogue, tho, just for shiggles (if you haven't already). I swear you can get the Rogue down to MTL levels.

Reactions: fatherdano

Ian444

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2013
QLD, Australia
I'm waiting for Rob to commission a stainless RM2. Not because I don't like brass, but because the air hole position would be rock solid with stainless. Don't really need the ceramic deck, dished stainless would work fine. Then the perfect atty would be born RM2 Mark II. I'm sure SuperX wouldn't mind drawing it up in CAD.

Reactions: resqx

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
I'm waiting for Rob to commission a stainless RM2. Not because I don't like brass, but because the air hole position would be rock solid with stainless. Don't really need the ceramic deck, dished stainless would work fine. Then the perfect atty would be born RM2 Mark II. I'm sure SuperX wouldn't mind drawing it up in CAD.

The 2013 Cyclones and Divos are just like that with the exception of narrower posts. What you are describing would almost be complete duplication of these. If you watch the classies close, sooner or later they will turn up. :)

Reactions: rudy4653

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
He'd be glad to draw it up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread