RSST First build. Ohms all over the place!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNarrator

Jul 27, 2014
Utah
Hello,

My RSST came in the mail this morning. I have built 2 micro-coils for it. Having an issue that is new to me. First coil was tested on my Tesla at 1.8 ohms. Installed SS mesh wick, and after a few hits it would not fire. Checked ohms, and they were 1.1 I built a second coil, with more wraps. Tested it before adding the wick, and it was 2.5 ohms. After wick installed, I have seen 1.5 ohms 1.6 ohms 1.8 ohms. Never the same. I was under the impression that because the wick hole is insulated, it didn't matter that my wick touched the sides. Is that true? What am I missing? Might it be my Tesla?

CRW78

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2013
San Antonio, TX, USA
It's shorted somewhere. I had this problem with my promethius when I got it. Meter would jump all over the place, .9, 1.5, 7.3, etc.. it was drunk! Turns out it after I took every piece apart, there were some burrs on the post. Anywho, sounds like you're shorting somewhere.

Edit: that's also why I opt not to use mesh. Lol

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Welcome to ECF Narrator...

Covering the basics...
1. Did you oxidize the mesh before use.. or use "pre-oxidized" mesh?
2. Assuming Kanthal wire, did you dry fire the coil a few times - before installing the mesh - to insure a proper development of aluminum oxide insulative layer?
3. Internal intermittent short, previously mentioned.
4. "Might it be my Tesla?" Sure... got another mod?​

TheNarrator

Jul 27, 2014
Utah
Yes I did oxidize the mesh with a torch. I did dry fire a few times, until the glow was even from the center out. I do not have another mod, but I do have a Sigelei ZMAX V5, and a Nemesis on the way. The only other way that I could think of to test was to put the first 1.8 ohm coil in my KFL with cotton, and try it out. Having just as many problems with that. Intermittent changing ohms, and the occasional no-fire with the "Short" message on the screen. I'm thinking that it must be the Tesla. This may sound horrific, but I removed the KFL and banged the Tesla on the desk a few times... Haven't had any issues since. Neither RBA is showing the same ohms as being the same as they were before installing the wick, but I'm vaping, hopefully until my new mods get here this week.

TheNarrator

Jul 27, 2014
Utah
Just an update for anyone who cares. The issue above was mainly on the Kayfun Lite +2.(EHPro) I found an issue on the deck. The block that the negative screw, screws into had turned just slightly, and was touching the block that the positive screw, screws into. I never thought to check that, as I thought that they were stationary. Under the negative block there is an insulating gasket. I noticed it sticking out slightly. Straightened it out with some pliers. Perfect now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread