Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
The problem comes down to how many batteries are really unsafe for us, while some have melted down this is what? 10 out of 10 million?
and battery life - while the imr's are starting to cross the 3000mah thresh-hold on some of them, the batteries in the links are 1200mah, and im not really willing to go back to ego like battery life in my APV's to remove the less then 1% chance my battery may have a problem.

but wow 18Amp discharge.............................

Jim532

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
Nottingham UK
The problem comes down to how many batteries are really unsafe for us, while some have melted down this is what? 10 out of 10 million?
and battery life - while the imr's are starting to cross the 3000mah thresh-hold on some of them, the batteries in the links are 1200mah, and im not really willing to go back to ego like battery life in my APV's to remove the less then 1% chance my battery may have a problem.

but wow 18Amp discharge.............................

The problem is not 10 out of 10 million going on fire. If "ANY" lithium battery is damaged (punctured) in transportation it is guaranteed to go on fire. Since it is likely that the package contains several batteries (or battery packs) it could be a very big fire when it ignites the rest of the shipment in the cargo hold/ van ect. This has no doubt happened, which has caused the concern & change of international regulations. Therefore we should be looking at the safer technology which exists (regardless of the cost) as like everything else, the cost will come down when they are mass produced by every company.

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
The problem is not 10 out of 10 million going on fire. If "ANY" lithium battery is damaged (punctured) in transportation it is guaranteed to go on fire. Since it is likely that the package contains several batteries (or battery packs) it could be a very big fire when it ignites the rest of the shipment in the cargo hold/ van ect. This has no doubt happened, which has caused the concern & change of international regulations. Therefore we should be looking at the safer technology which exists (regardless of the cost) as like everything else, the cost will come down when they are mass produced by every company.

A punctured battery does not automatically start a fire !! it will leak might the insides down onto the freight causing the possibility of fire only !!

Jim532

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
Nottingham UK
Last edited:

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
yea and not to be smart you do realize how many other things are inside a ups truck that could explode or start fires or burst into flames right?

we used to buy nitro for model airplanes, and if you wanted the gallon they had to ship it in a fire approved container with extra handling fees and a warning and all this other crap that cost a lot extra.. but if you bought 4 qt's they sent it in a plain cardboard box with peanuts lol
i do not know of problems with international shipments but here i buy batteries and they come inside a sealed bag, wrapped inside bubblewrap inside a box full of peanuts. and no one seems worried about it. i have seem more videos of exploded phones and laptops and flashlights then i have ever seen of the batteries we use.

sometimes worrying for the sake of worrying is just worrying too much.

Jim532

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
Nottingham UK
They will continue to be sent regardless of the rules. In UK they have decided that lithium batteries can only be sent with, or inside a device. Can an LED be considered a device? So why not just say that loose lithium cells must be sent in a Lipo bag. They are already cheap enough to buy retail. The vendors can buy them for cents in bulk & that price would come down even further as the demand increased. The other plus to that is everyone who buys lithium cells (most of us) would have plenty lipo bags to store & charge lithium's in which would make homes & company premises much safer. I can't understand how the idiots at the top who make the stupid rules that will only be exploited can justify their big salaries & crazy bonuses. lipo bag in RC Engines, Parts & Accs | eBay

But we must also be aware that many of those Lipo bags going for 99c on ebay are fake. Check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEkewCjiDs0

No doubt that many already have those fake bags & will never know unless they fail. Then it is ofcourse too late.
If the vendors were forced to buy the bags in bulk to ship loose lithium cells or packs there is no doubt that they would test those bags. Then we could be sure that we were getting a genuine bag tested by a local company. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWKNAc79AZg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread