Safety guidelines for ego/kgo type battery charging and use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugarnspice

ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2011
Pacific,MO
Recently I stunbled across a couple of threads on this forum regarding EGO type batteries that exploded and or caught fire while charging.
I am really concerned as I was not even aware this was possible. I have been vaping about a year and a half and have tried to educate myself on the proper use and care of the equipment- mainly through this forum and any info that came in the package (which to be honest was minimal).
My understanding prior to seeing these threads was that the devices that exploded were mods with stacked batts ONLY. I gave my ego/kgo batts no more safety consideration than I do the AA batts I put in my flashlight. I am really lucky I haven't had an accident as I have regularly broken many of the following rules and was completely unaware of the risks.
Forgive my naivete but I stay really busy and don't have a great deal of time to be on here. I love my ecig and have not touched an analog since I got my first EGO :)

One of the threads that detailed this issue was very long and I didn't have time to read it all. I tried to read a sticky that was referenced which was very thorough and well done but it was also long and technical and for a plug n play person like me, somewhat confusing.
:confused: I wasn't sure if it referred to all batts or mods only. I am hoping someone out there could help me put together a simple list of safety rules specifically and only for all ego/kgo type batteries and if possible maybe one of the moderators could place a sticky in a prominent place on the forum- not just in the new members area. If something like this already exists I could not find it.
So many people are using these batt types and I am certain they would be as appreciative as I would.

I hope all the vendors will take notice of these incidents and assume more responsibility in educating their customers regarding safe use and charging. With so many folks using these type of batts being noobs or non tech types like myself it could really help prevent any more accidents. The e-cig industry is already dealing with a ton of misinformation and propoganda put out by the tobacco and big pharma industries and facing potential bans and restrictions -more incidents of this nature will only serve as ammo for the other side and I certainly don't want to see anyone hurt while trying to improve their health.

Someone mentioned making a flyer with this info available on the forum that vendors could print and include in packaging- I think that is a GREAT idea. Tips to prolong batt life would be helpful as well.

Here is what I got so far along with some questions that came up- If any of these are these are incorrect or unnecessary please feel free to correct or eliminate and add any that I missed. Specific answers are helpful but please try to keep it as simple as possible.
Again I am hoping to keep these guidelines and instructions specific to EGO type batts only. (NON-MODS)

Thanks for your help and ROCK THE VAPE!!!
:vapor:

EGO/KGO/RIVA/GOGO TYPE BATT SAFETY GUIDELINES

Never leave a charging batt unattended or charge while sleeping

ALWAYS AND ONLY use the charger made specifically for the batt-just because a charger has 510 threads does not mean it is compatible with your batt

Turn off batt prior to charging if the batt has the 5 click off button?

Charge on non-flamable surface only (in a lipo bag? or other suggestions?)

Do not overcharge-remove batt from charger as soon as light turns green (what are appropriate charge times? my instructions indicated very long charge times)

If batt becomes hot remove from charger immediately (how hot? and what about getting warm during use?)

Do not over discharge? (how can you do this if batt dies when fully discharged?)

Do not use usb port on computer to charge

Do not use counterfeit batts (how do we recognize these?)

Do not fully discharge batt (how do you know if there is no indicator of charge level?)

Clean any e-liquid off battery terminal prior to charge

Rest batts after charging or discharge slightly? (How long rest? How to and how much discharge?)

Plug in ac charger first -then attach batt?

Use protected batts only-(are smoktech ego and kgo batts protected?)

Always unplug chargers when not in use

Never charge or use damaged batts

Additional Questions

If I drop my batt how will I know if it has been damaged?

How can I tell if my batt has a short-reversed polarity etc...?

Can e -liquid get inside a batt and cause a short? How can I tell if this has occurred?

Is a multimeter necessary? if so could someone post proper use and readings info-many of us never used one

I have an ego batt that came with a usb charger only -it is either a 900 or 1100 mah (not sure as it was comped by vendor to replace a defect and was different than the original)-Can I use a universal ac adaptor and if so what amperage should I get?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread