Same wattage, difference resistance - battery usage/coil life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luc858585

Aug 19, 2020
If I have 2 different coils, say 0.3ohm and 0.45ohm.

Both coils perform well at 30w, which is my most common vaping wattage.

- Will one coil consume more power than the other despite the watts setting being the same?
- Will one coil last longer than the other?

Obviously a lower resistance generally requires more power, but both fire quickly and smoothly at 30W and are not exceeding the limits stated by the manufacturer.

I understand that if a coil is used at a lower wattage than recommended it will clog up faster and may shorten its life span, but the lower resistance coil doesn't appear to struggle.

0.3ohm - 30 - 35w recommended range
0.45ohm - 25 - 32w recommended range

Vape - Voopoo Drag X (awesome vape by the way).

Thanks for your help, its probably not a big deal, just keen to get my next coil order correct.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain

- Will one coil consume more power than the other despite the watts setting being the same?

Obviously a lower resistance generally requires more power, but both fire quickly and smoothly at 30W and are not exceeding the limits stated by the manufacturer.

I understand that if a coil is used at a lower wattage than recommended it will clog up faster and may shorten its life span, but the lower resistance coil doesn't appear to struggle.

Thanks for your help, its probably not a big deal, just keen to get my next coil order correct.
Hi an welcome,
IMO, order the coils that you enjoy using.
The .3Ω coil will draw more amps at 30W than the .45Ω coil.
Coil life is variable. It would be impossible to predict reliably.

HTH
I

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
f I have 2 different coils, say 0.3ohm and 0.45ohm.

Since the difference is resistance between the two coils is not big and 30W is within the recommended wattage range for both, go with the coil you prefer. Like Izan said above, it's impossible to predict which coil will be more durable.

Besides, those wattage recommendations are just that--recommendations, not a mandate. I often find that I prefer lower wattages than recommended and my coils perform just fine.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

What I have found that effects How Fast a coil will Clog Up (for the Same e-Liquid) the most is Wicking and Airflow.

So a given Coil might Theoretically or Mathematically supposedly clog less than another Coil with a Different Resistance. But if the Wicking is a Tad Better on the other Coil, and or if Better Air Flow is used, that can make Ohms and Watts Law take a Backseat in the Race to Clog.

The Long and the Short of it is Don't get too Hung Up on one set of Numbers. Because there is a Lot going on when you push the Fire Button to make Vapor come off a Coil.

And just Go with the Coil that gives You the Best Hit.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada

No. Your battery only knows that it's putting out 30 w. It neither knows nor cares that coils of different resistances are receiving those 30 watts.

Resistance is only one factor affecting the power you need for a certain coil. Other things, like air flow (as mentioned above) and coil mass also play a role, so there's nothing unusual about finding that power and resistance don't track closely.

As others have said, that's impossible to predict. One may well last longer than the other, but only experience will tell you which one.

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2020
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Will one coil last longer than the other?
Trial and error is the way to go, however you could do a bit of research and find reviews for the coils you want to use.
Like others mentioned- airflow and wicking system are important. Also quality control- sometimes you'll get a coil or a pack from a bad batch.
Also: if you want to do the comparison of life span of both coils, you should use the same juice for both. Some juices will kill your coil in 2-3 days, and some juices will help it last for a week or longer. Generally the darker the juice, the quicker it clogs the coil, but I've seen pretty light and transparent juices packed with sweeteners that were much worse for coils than my darker chocolate and tobacco mixes

• Agree
Reactions: HigherStateD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread