Status
Not open for further replies.

Xaria

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2011
Back in the Holler-VA
I have had my SB since July and I love it very much. Lately it seems sluggish and I notice when I unscrew the body from switch a turn, it hits like a champ. Is there something up with my precious? or is this the norm and is it ok to leave it a little unscrewed to get a better hit? I have only run it at 3.7v and the spring seems normal.

matrixxu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2011
Timisoara, Romania
Perhaps it's time to clean it a bit. Unscrew top, and use something to clean the contact.. i use cape cod polishing cloth, rub it a bit, then use a cotton towel/buffing cloth. Next, take out the spring, if its the new one and its not shiney , do the same like with the top contact. I clean my spring every week, and it should look similar to gold. If not, its oxidized a bit, and you lose as much as 0,2v under load. Next, clean the threads on the main body and on the top. If you have noalox, re-aply it to the main body threads, but do not overdo it. If you use too much, you will lose voltage under load. Noalox does help a bit with conductivity but only when applied in small ammounts... you only need enough to keep the threads easy to screw/unscrew.

If these steps do not help, re-check the spring, if it's too compressed.. look at the photos with the hot-spring on vendor sites and compare it. You can bring it to the proper size, i even shorted one several times and cleaned it , brought it back to shape and works like a new one.

Also, with mechanical mods the battery you use makes a lot of difference. A cheap *whatever*fire 18650 will lose up to 0.5v under load with a LR atty, compared to 0,09-0,16 loss from an AW High Drain or 0,25v with 2900mah AW.

Hope this helps !

cddz

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2009
Newark, Ohio
Just to follow up some what, I did look at it more carefully and it seem that the black part that the connector is on, seemed like it was being pressed in and out, I took a little paper clip and jiggled it a little and for now it seems more stable and not being pushed back.
That pin floats in the derlin washer, in fact the whole washer is floating :) vibration to a solid connection can cause issues with wire breaks. That is why I use at least 7/30 stranded appliance wire and never ever ever solid wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread