SB Switch Amp Limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cddz

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2009
Newark, Ohio
I'm sure it's been asked a thousand times, and I probably even overlooked it somewhere, but I'm wondering what the amp limit is on the switch for the SB.

I don't think that I'll ever hit it, but it's mostly for curiosity...and to make my math complete. :)

it is rated 2A@48VDC

occultangle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
2 amps? I probably am not understanding this correctly as I'm only used to hearing about amp limits on mods that are more on the electronic side. What happens when you go over 2 amps? I was thinking about getting a SB for some rebuilable atomizers, but I would build really low resistance coils that would most definitely go over 2 amps. Even most dual coils would draw more than 2 amps.

But I'm also not sure what the @48VDC means.

Xaiver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Clearwater, MN
If my understanding is correct, it says that it can handle 2 amps at 48 volts (VDC means Voltage Direct Current). Direct current is what we're dealing with, batteries and things provide it.

(I'm not 100% on my math here, so correct me if I'm wrong, please.)

If you convert 2 amps by 48 volts into Watts, you get 96 watts. If you convert that back to amps at 5 volts, it's something like 19 amps.

Assuming that my math is correct, the SB switch is the last thing that should go out on it. That is to say, through an over-load method. There's always wear-and-tear, but the bullet is built like a tank anyhow.

cddz

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2009
Newark, Ohio
If my understanding is correct, it says that it can handle 2 amps at 48 volts (VDC means Voltage Direct Current). Direct current is what we're dealing with, batteries and things provide it.

(I'm not 100% on my math here, so correct me if I'm wrong, please.)

If you convert 2 amps by 48 volts into Watts, you get 96 watts. If you convert that back to amps at 5 volts, it's something like 19 amps.

Assuming that my math is correct, the SB switch is the last thing that should go out on it. That is to say, through an over-load method. There's always wear-and-tear, but the bullet is built like a tank anyhow.

You are correct :). The spring colapses around 7 Amps and, the wire insulation would melt off before the switch would go. I can not remember the math, but DC and AC amps are two different ratings there is a more technical formula.... meh. It is a beast of a switch :)

Xaiver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Clearwater, MN
Thanks for the answers.

So basically, the real limit on amps would be the spring collapsing at seven, which is more than enough.

Depending on what you're vaping, your coils should pop way before that.

I was reading about amp limits the other day, and I stumbled across a Varicool boxmod that someone made with a 6 amp limit. There was a guy with a super long post about how he was going to test it for extreme vaping, to see how it held up...and by the math, it should do great..but the biggest thing out there in the VV world is rated for like 3.5 amps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread