• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Screwing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

BorisTheSpider

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2010
Carroll County, Ohio
Hey guys, I just want to throw myself a bit of a pity party, so feel free to skip this thread if you're not interested.

I've been getting way too distracted this semester. My grades are slipping. The end of the semester is fast-approaching, and I'm lucky enough to have professors who are willing to cut me some slack and make up some assignments.

Really, though, it won't help unless I can get past this. I'm in some kind of trance. It's like writer's block. I know what I need to do and why, and I'm more than capable. I still just can't bring myself to do it. I have several programs to write and probably hundreds of math problems to solve. I don't know how I got here and I certainly don't know how to get out of it. This same thing happened all through high school and was pretty disastrous.

Anyone else get like this? Is there a trick for putting your .... in gear?

Ronda

May 21, 2011
Pa
Hi Boris,

This might be too late for this semester, but maybe it'll help you next semester or someone else...

I wasn't able to get through college, and I tried three different times, oh so many years ago, so first off realize there's life without college. For me, that's been a much better life, suited to my personality and way of working.

I've found for myself - I put a lot of pressure on myself to "make" myself do something I don't really want to do. Eventually the pain of the pressure will overcome the pain of doing something boring, miserable, tedious. BUT in every case, I'm then pretty miserable. Sucky day to day life...

NOW - I "have" to prepare a tax form for my business - as an example... I don't enjoy doing it, it's tedious, but very important. I focus on why I love my business, how wonderful it is to have the freedom I've created in my life, and how blessed I am that the most tedious thing I "have" to do is this tax form. I look at why I WANT to get this done, and start building a case for how good it'll feel to have this out of my hair, challenge myself to figure out how fast I can do it, think of a reward to give myself when it's done, and when possible enlist others to give me a pat on the back for getting it done too. Sometimes I have to break things down: OK, I'll do ten minutes of this boring thing, then I'll give myself permission to do ten minutes of something I love. I use a timer for both, by the way, and find that I often don't want to stop doing the unpleasant thing once I'm into it - the blessing of hyperfocus.

I look for ways to get fascinated by the process of what I "have" to do, and look for ways to do it either better, faster, or easier, or to get someone else to do it for me while I do something they hate - this is never ending has helped me in about a thousand ways in life. Sometimes I trade money, sometimes time, sometimes I figure out something so easy I get a kick out of doing it the new easy way. Sometimes, I just need someone to do it with - I enjoy one-on-one social interactions, and get many unpleasant tasks completed while working with someone else.

When all of these things fail, and with some projects they do, I go back to the core of "What do I really want here, and why am I doing x, if what I want is y?" So many times in my life I've tried to make myself want what everyone else says I'm supposed to want. The truth is, I'm always doing what I want to do. If I'm NOT completing a project, it's because I don't want to. I've never had to figure out a way to make myself wipe my ...., even though the task is tedious, boring, repetitive, and unpleasant. I want to be clean much more than I want to avoid the tediousness of that particular repetitive task. When you list life as a series of wants, you'll start to find ease and clarity in the what's-next-ever-changing menu of possibilities of life.

And I've become an admitter: I recognize early on what isn't going to happen, and I don't try to pretend I'll be able to figure out a way to make myself do it. I've become very kind to myself, and very respectful of what I love to do, and what I don't love to do. If someone tries to pressure me to say yes to something I know in my heart I won't do, I laugh and let them know - "I spent many decades of my life trying to be the person you seem to want me to be right now, and I can tell you it just won't work for me. I'd rather be honest with you now, and give you and me the opportunity to figure out something that will work." This alone has spared me and those in my life a TON of grief. I don't cut myself SOME slack, I cut myself ALL THE SLACK IN THE WORLD... and I encourage others to do the same. The less we judge ourselves and others, the clearer we get with what we want, and the clearer we can see how to get there from here. And there's the added benefit of our day to day and moment to moment experience of life is much happier. One guaranteed result of judging is misery.

Hope something in here is useful for you!

Warmest,
Ronda

I agree with both replies, and I was often in a very similar situation. For me, and YMMV, I found something (someone) that made me want to push myself. She happens to be my wife now. When I made the decision that I wanted to marry her, I took a good hard look at myself and decided that I was a good and decent person with a good heart, but that I as I was would not be able to give her the life I felt she deserved. So I pushed myself. HARD. If I slipped up, I forgave myself, then I went back to push push push.

Before I made this decision, I failed out of 4 colleges. I just could not motivate myself to go to class or do anything. After I met her, I actually had to spend 2 YEARS taking boring useless core classes just to boost my cumulative GPA up high enough to get admitted into a nursing program.

The end of the story: I graduated with a cumulative 3.26 gpa, I'm now an RN, I'm married to the woman of my dreams, I'm back on a carefully monitored medication routine, and life is getting better every day.

You are worth it. There's no easy path in life, but the payoff to the hard road is more hard work and most importantly, happiness. Fulfillment. A sense of meaning and purpose. You deserve to feel this way. You have to believe that first.

BorisTheSpider

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2010
Carroll County, Ohio
You have to believe that first.

That is the challenge. I am constantly down on myself and feel like I have to hide my inadequacies. Yet, when other people screw up, I just look at it as normal. I hold myself to a higher standard that I rarely live up to.

For an update, the semester I wrote that and the following were both rough. I actually failed the same class twice, and for no good reason. I know the material, I just wasn't turning stuff in. The fall semester, though (last semester), I only took a couple classes and even got on the part time president's list again. This semester, I'm down to one class but that's largely a scheduling conflict. It is working out though, especially since I just picked up a second job. I still push my deadlines to the last few minutes and get sidetracked, but so far, my head is above water.

All that said, I'm considering not going any further in this degree program. I'm just not sure I can do this much longer, especially if I have to do it one class at a time just to pass. Besides that, I'll have most of the classes I really need out of the way after this semester. I don't know. It seems like my mind changes every couple days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread