Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardV

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2012
The Golden Isles of Georgia, USA
In my opinion I don"t worry about spilling e-liquid on my hands, I will wash it off immediately but no panic. The nicotine in e-liquid is usually no more that 36mg/ml or 3.6% strength, I vape 18mg/ml or 1.8%. Pure nicotine (100%) is not available for sale to the general public.

Ratchet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I spill 18 and 24 mg liquid on my hands all the time (no, I don't wear gloves) but have never had any adverse effects. Now, if you are using high concentration nic such as 48 mg and above, I'd definitely be wearing gloves. I tend to be sloppy so I don't use that............ :)

The Soot King

Verified Member
Jun 11, 2012
High among the chimney tops
Unless you are dealing with very high concentrations of nicotine in your e-liquid (which most starters do not) you don't need to worry about a thing. The concentration of even "high" blends (such as 2.4) is not enough to harm you if you splash a small amount on your hands. Even if you do splash some, it can be rinsed off before it absorbs fully into your skin. Most nicquids are a mix of 70/30 Propylene Glycol and Vegetable Oil. These oils actually hamper the absorption of the liquid into your skin and again, unless you are dealing with very high concentrations, you will be just fine even if you don't rinse.

What is most important is for you to do what feels right to you. If you would enjoy your experience more if you wore gloves while filling because it makes you feel safer (and they do), then go right ahead. It's your vaping and what I'm comfortable with may not be comfortable for you.

Cheers!

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
I diy with 48 mg nic and I don't wear gloves. I'm careful and if I did get any on me, which I haven't yet, I would wash my hands. But from premixed eliquid, you don't have to worry about it :) I saw a live broadcast with a guy talking about this subject and he dripped 100 mg nic liquid on his hand and went and washed it off and was fine. I think there is alot of hype on it, but I still tend to avoid pure nic liquid higher than 48 mgs. just in case, when I DIY :)

wseyller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2012
Hendersonville NC
I do when I am diluting 100Mg nic. But only because I am extra cautious. At that strength I am more concern about not breathing in any fumes.

Even if one full drop fully absorbed into my body through my skin I wouldn't even know it. Just wash your hands. It will take a while to fully absorb into your skin and it won't be that high of a dose to cause worry.

Wear gloves if it gives you peice of mind, but just use common sense and you'll be fine. That is assuming you have common sense because not every one does.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

base234

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2011
Over the edge...
Yes! Gloves, goggles, rubber apron and rebreather mask! Just kidding, any premade juice you can buy is not dangerous unless you get it in your eye or ingest (drink) it. Of course, if you're using 100mg nic juice to DIY, you've gotta be very careful. I don't even mess with it anymore. 50mg max around here. You still didn't say what the nic level was in the juice you have...

Animeguy

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2011
Virginia
If e liquid would cause problems, then i'd def die... I had plenty of mouthfuls of juice. Diy I use 100mg no gloves but I never touch it. Like wseyller said, about the fumes. I tend to hold my breath when I pour the nic in the syringe. I pour it in from bottle cuz its 100%vg. I did spill it on my hand a year ago that was back when I was still trying out different ways. First thing I thought of was.."there better be no cuts on my hand or i am doomed." lol Now days I am not that paranoid.

Cloud Wizard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2012
Somewhere in PA on my Ultra Limited
There is 0.9mg nicotine in a single drop of 18mg/ml juice (using 20 drops/ml as a measure). Nicotine does absorb through the skin and is certainly listed as toxic (30-60 mg ingested can be fatal). So, little bit gets on my hands while filling - just wash off. High concentrations, use gloves...

Kristrin

Jun 16, 2012
USA
I had the same worry when i first started vaping and used gloves for a while, til I accidently spilled some juice just above one of the gloves I was wearing. Nothing bad happened at all. I searched around on a few forums and found I had nothing to really worry about, just needed to wash my hands. Ever since I haven't used gloves and just wash my hands after filling cartos or tanks.

Covert

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2012
Long Beach, California
My standard is 18mg premixed so I have no need to worry. But being new to the whole thing I was a bit concerned. My worries have been nixed thanks to the wonderful members of this board. I swear i'd be lost without you folks. Thank you to everyone that has given me all this wonderful information : )

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
Covert, better safe, than sorry! It doesn't hurt to use gloves at all. As most have said, all of this stuff is very water-soluble, wash your hands and you are usually being safe.

But? Familiarity breeds contempt. Treat it with respect, always. It's easy to get lazy. If you get a drop on the back of your hand, you very probably won't notice it. If you rinse your hands afterwards, you are fine. If you wipe your eyes with the back of your hands later, it may not be so good. It probably won't be an emergency room trip, but could be very uncomfortable.

In a past life, I was a licensed chemical applicator in my state for my family farm. 500 gallon tanks on a spray truck, I was handling some pretty hot stuff, before it was diluted. Part of the training was learning about the absorption rate of different parts of our bodies. Hands and feet? Some of the thickest skin we have. Our "lap"? Not a good place to have a spill.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor. Exercise caution. Have fun! Stop smoking.

Covert

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2012
Long Beach, California
Nanovapr I know exactly where you are coming from as I have dealt with a lot of not so savory substances throughout my life and have watched chemicals cause major harm to those not well versed with them. As I am not well versed with nicotine I had no idea it was not something to be take lightly.But upon further research I am informed enough now not to make dyer mistakes with this substance. I do thank everyone for their responses and information : )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread