Sigelei Kaos watt / volt runaway

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyboy66

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2015
Maryland
I have a Sigelei kaos spectrum and for the first 6 months I used it I had no issues.
But recently it hits incredibly hot and harsh, as if the wattage is way higher than I typically vape at, yet the watt readout is in the 50's/low 60's
I'm a light to moderate vaper and have been vaping for the better part of 3 years. I'm currently using the smok Big Baby tank.
I've been having to lower the wattage to low 40's to not tear my throat up.
What gives?
Is there a way to hard reset the mod?
Could it be a battery issue?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Reactions: Vaperer

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
This thread mentions the preheat wattage, might you have accidentally turned that up and that's what's causing the issue?

I'm not familiar with that particular device; some devices have "buck/boost" converters where they can ramp the voltage up or down, while others only have the "boost" feature -- they can increase the voltage beyond the battery's voltage, but can't drop it any lower that what the batteries are putting out, no matter what wattage it says on the screen. If that is the case, and if you recently started using a lower resistance coil, then that same minimum voltage would suddenly be a much higher wattage, and you might now be hitting the floor when previously you were still above battery voltage at the lower wattage levels. I'm not sure if this is something applicable to your situation or not, but it might be something to consider.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Are you sure you are using the same type of coils you were using before you noticed the issue? Same tank?
Same type of juice? Pg vg ratio? You're probably familiar with most of the things I would point out, but flavor and type of juice can make a big difference...
I don't think the batteries would be the problem, more likely a regulator in mod. Don't think there would be a reset like you are looking for.
But.... maybe it's time to UPGRADE!
I know that was no help. Good luck.

tommyboy66

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2015
Maryland
Are you sure you are using the same type of coils you were using before you noticed the issue? Same tank?
Same type of juice? Pg vg ratio? You're probably familiar with most of the things I would point out, but flavor and type of juice can make a big difference...
I don't think the batteries would be the problem, more likely a regulator in mod. Don't think there would be a reset like you are looking for.
But.... maybe it's time to UPGRADE!
I know that was no help. Good luck.
Same coils, same tank, same juice w/same ratio.
Sucks to think that a mod I just got right after Thanksgiving weekend already is a paper weight....
Vaping has kept me off the stinky sticks for more than 3 years. So I already ordered the Smok G-Priv 2 with the Prince tank. I've had good luck with Smok mods in the past, but thought I was stepping up with Sigelei. Always heard it was top of line product... What a disappointment!
I was hoping to figure this issue out so I can gift this mod to a friend.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Same coils, same tank, same juice w/same ratio.
Sucks to think that a mod I just got right after Thanksgiving weekend already is a paper weight....
Vaping has kept me off the stinky sticks for more than 3 years. So I already ordered the Smok G-Priv 2 with the Prince tank. I've had good luck with Smok mods in the past, but thought I was stepping up with Sigelei. Always heard it was top of line product... What a disappointment!
I was hoping to figure this issue out so I can gift this mod to a friend.
Sadly after the old solid as a tank sig 150 they really went downhill, more for looks than reliability.

tommyboy66

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2015
Maryland
I used to love Sigelei mods, but the last one I bought that was worth it was the original Fuchai 200 Watt +TC. Since then they have been making flashy disposable junk.
And to think, when the Fuchai first came out, I was debating whether to get one or not.
Any suggestions on a solid, regulated, no frills, dual 18650 mod.
I have a Smok G-Priv 2 on the way, but I'm not holding my breath on this one either. Seems like everything is bells & whistles... no substance

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I have two of the Fuchai minis. One has been a every day at work in the pocket beater and has held up great. The other is a back up. Other than those two I've pretty much stayed away from Sigelei stuff. Of course a DNA mod would be nice if you have deep pockets but I've had good luck with the vaporesso revenger mods. I've had two of them for a long time and use them every day. I just ordered the Polar by them and am looking forward to trying it. On the other side, I bought an IPV eclipse a month ago and it quit working the week I got it. It took a month of going back and forth with the vendor but got a store credit. With the way that mods are mass produced, there are going to be some bad ones. You could check with the vendor and see what the warranty is on the kaos. Depending on where you got it, they might replace it.

tommyboy66

ECF Veteran
    Feb 2, 2015
    Maryland
    I have two of the Fuchai minis. One has been a every day at work in the pocket beater and has held up great. The other is a back up. Other than those two I've pretty much stayed away from Sigelei stuff. Of course a DNA mod would be nice if you have deep pockets but I've had good luck with the vaporesso revenger mods. I've had two of them for a long time and use them every day. I just ordered the Polar by them and am looking forward to trying it. On the other side, I bought an IPV eclipse a month ago and it quit working the week I got it. It took a month of going back and forth with the vendor but got a store credit. With the way that mods are mass produced, there are going to be some bad ones. You could check with the vendor and see what the warranty is on the kaos. Depending on where you got it, they might replace it.
    I actually already had it replaced about 3 weeks after I got it.... this is the second one to go bad on me! Only difference is this one lasted 6 good months.
    It sad that these products are hit and miss these days. Makes you wonder if it's by design. Don't even get me started on t h.g e packaged coils....no consistency whatsoever!

badwaterbill

Jun 1, 2016
    My Sigelei 50w box mod, had a problem with the ohm's jumping, burning coils due to the fact that it gives the 2.1 ohm coils too much power, set at 10W would read, what was actually a 2 ohm coil, as a 4 ohm coil and hit that coil with over 6 volts, burning the coil instantly, I have heard that it may be a loose negative wire to the 510, that will cause the mod to misread the resistance, can this be your issue? Anyone else have knowledge of this? I used this mod for good, and missed the warranted time period, even though it was less than 30 days use, I can not recommend Sigelei based on my experience.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    That's too bad. After two of them failing, I'd ask for a store credit if they are willing to take it back so you could pick something else. Are you looking for a dual unit you can carry in your pocket or just for around the house? Some of the dual battery mods get pretty bulky. I love my geekvape aegis legend but it's kinda big and heavy for a pocket carry. I've also been liking the aspire speeder mod. It's been very reliable so far. I think I've had that one for around six months. I don't use prebuilt coils any more since there are often inconsistencies and making your own in an rta or rda costs pennies each and you can tailor the coil to your liking.

listopencil

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2017
    In Partibus Infidelium
    And to think, when the Fuchai first came out, I was debating whether to get one or not.
    Any suggestions on a solid, regulated, no frills, dual 18650 mod.
    I have a Smok G-Priv 2 on the way, but I'm not holding my breath on this one either. Seems like everything is bells & whistles... no substance

I kind of gave up on the dual 18650 mods. Just too much junk out there and even the 'good' companies seem to be hit and miss now. I do MTL exclusively so I settled on a Geekvape Aegis (original) with a good 26650 in it. I am liking it so far. It came with an adapter so I can slap a single 18650 in there if i want. There is also a battery cap that you can buy for about $8 that will let you use the 20700's and the 21700's. I paid $42 for mine including shipping from China. I don't know if I should recommend the new dual 18650 version because I haven't used it, but Geekvape seems to have done well by me with the original. The Aegis Legend is really the only dual battery mod that comes to mind that I would even feel at all good about recommending though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread