Simple coils for new to temperature control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fog n Vape

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2014
Vancouver Island Canada
Would like to try t.c. when my new rig arrives, Steampunk Nano and O.B.S. Engine Nano but have no idea what wire to order.
In my Kanger Subtank I build with 28g kanthal 1.2 ohms. and on my Velocity rda duals between. 5 to. 7 ohms both 2.5 diameter, vape the Subtank about 7 watts and the rda 17.5 to 22.5, also have a Pico resin, a Hadaly and a Narda on the way. 3 years more or less with the Kanger, subox and Velocity so with the black Friday deals it's time for an upgrade.
I don't like hot vaper so wondering what wire to order for simple t.c. coil building, so many choices it's confusing!!! ty

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I use both, 26 and 28 g SS 316L (UD is a good brand, very inexpensive at Fasttech. I prefer 28 g, I'm an MTL vaper. If you're familiar with 28 g Kanthal, you'll find ss very easy to use. Just don't dry burn it at high wattage. SS is a lower res wire, use Steam Engine | free vaping calculators to help you calculate resistance.

I usually build 2.5 mm coil, a little under 1Ω--works both in TC and in power mode.

Fog n Vape

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2014
Vancouver Island Canada
I use both, 26 and 28 g SS 316L (UD is a good brand, very inexpensive at Fasttech. I prefer 28 g, I'm an MTL vaper. If you're familiar with 28 g Kanthal, you'll find ss very easy to use. Just don't dry burn it at high wattage. SS is a lower res wire, use Steam Engine | free vaping calculators to help you calculate resistance.

I usually build 2.5 mm coil, a little under 1Ω--works both in TC and in power mode.
Ty I use the UD brand for Kanthal and will add your suggestions to my order since there seems to be a concencus. I do use Steamengine though I wrap old school on mini jeweler screwdriver.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I actually find spaced coils easier to wind, if I'm making a contact coil I will make a spaced one on the coil jig then squish it together. Ivan is correct about type of wire and spaced coils do work better in TC coils from what most folks are saying... Good luck!

Anna

Fog n Vape

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2014
Vancouver Island Canada
Big thank you to Izan, Katya and stols001 for steering me in the right direction.
My first attempt was a complete failure but gave it a go again tonight with a .53 stainless steel 28g and it is working well in both my Subtank on the Pico, 370 @25watts and the Engine on the Tesla 120, 375@25watts.
With the spaced coils taste more top notes and the vape is staying cool rather then heating up which was the aim as my throat is very temperature sensitive since the radiation treatments for throat cancer and I was having trouble getting a full toke with the Kanthal coils.
Tomorrow will put some spaced coils in my drippers and hopefully get some full lung hits which I've been missing also.
Again ty guys n ladies

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread