Single or Duel Coil for VV. Specifically iStick 30W.

Status
Not open for further replies.

B I L

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
Hemet, CA
I've been using my istick 30 for about 3 weeks now. I bought it with a Kanger subtank mini using the 1.2 ohms on it at about 4.5v 17w and it's perfect.
I just bought a Kanger Protank 2 mini using the 2.2 ohm at about 3.7v 6.3w (which is what the protank booklet says to use). Any higher than that and I get a burnt taste. I'm not quite 'fulfilled' with the protank compared to my subtank. With the subtank I seem to get more vapor, perfect warmth, just a better overall experience. I really like the airflow on the subtank. The protank is a little too airy.

My question is, is the subtank better because it's dual coil? Or just because it's a better tank? Or maybe because it's the lower ohms? Am I using the iStick 30w to the fullest potential by using single coils? What ohms should I be using with the iStick? Thanks.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm sure it will be pretty simple with a little time. I came from a Volt Spinner so this kind of new to me.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
My question is, is the subtank better because it's dual coil?
You've figured at least one aspect of your issue out. As you've discovered, there's more to sort out what would be the appropriate wattage to apply than just the net resistance. The wire gauge and type used and the number of coils in parallel can effect the coil(s) radiant heat values... sometimes dramatically.

As we do not know the actual wire gauge, I can't calculate accurately the coil heat value for direct comparison, but... as an example, IF the wire gauge used on the dual parallel coiled Subtank was 31, when 17 watts is applied, the radiant heat value ("heat flux") is a modestly warm +/- 178 mW/mm².

Using the same wire gauge reference (and I doubt it is the same) for your Protank... at the same wattage, applied to a single 2.2Ω coil, the heat flux is a very warm to hot +/- 389 mW/mm².

The latter, if the above is even close to true, would likely consume juice at a higher rate... and if wicking can't keep up, then what you're tasting is, in fact a dry and burning wick.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
The Kanger Subtank OCCs are all single coils.

I use my subtanks with stock coils and also the RDA with a single coil at around .6 ohms and they work fantastic on an iStick set to 12-15w. If that works for you then stick with it - no need to worry about anything else.

Dual coils have their place and I do use them in some of my RDAs, but for my subohm tanks and RTAs I stick with the simplicity of the single coil, and get a very satisfying vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread