• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Skin care products............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sexi

ECF Veteran
I see plastic surgery questions, so I know most of us think about good skin care. Wondered what your holy grail was for skin care? Do you have one you could not go without?

Well I can't see it in the rules if we can post outside links, as it might be considered advertisement. BUT for a link to just one of my favorite places for skincare goodies, go look at my first blog entry I just made. Additionally, I forgot to put this in the blog entry. They do a sale once a month, usually it is 20% off anything for one weekend. This month they had their sale already, but are having one until midnight tonight for mother's day gifts also. I like the peels, but not brave enough yet until summer & work is over to do a light TCA one yet. Anyone ever done one on yourself?

I only use a few things from the place I talked about above, but can't do without the Lancome moisturizers, Revitalash, (Google it, it works!) & MAC for foundation. Love MAC for other things to, but Sephora sure gets alot of business to for odd's & ends.

Anyone ever hang out at makeupalley?

bmacva

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
I don't have any one thing, myself. I've been through the skin care gamut of Merle Norman (years ago, anyone remember them?), Mary Kay, Clinique, Estee Lauder and I'm tired of paying the prices of dept store makeup. I'm now using Olay Moisturizer, a Johnson & Johnson brand cleanser, and Almay foundation, then I skip around and use a lot of Avon stuff too.

Revitalash....$150???? How long would it take to go through a container of that? I used to have long, thick curly lashes....now I can't even find Mascara that will make them show up well.

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
I only use makeup once in a while, I live in the country and I really don't care what the chickens and dogs think..lol. I want to try the mineral powder face stuff, have any of you used it? Due to medications I "glow" very easily. I would like something that doesn't look like I appiled spackle!
Mary
meant to add, I use a mild soap and water with oil of olay in the winter. Seems to work for me, no wrinkles yet. Of course I will probably get them all in one night and look like a prune!

Last edited:

Avid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I want to try the mineral powder face stuff, have any of you used it?

I have and it's great! It covers better than loose powder, doesn't leave an unnatural shine and doesn't have the residue mask feeling of a liquid.

And, unlike just about every other makeup I've tried, it doesn't make my face itch!

Siobhan

ECF Veteran
I've tried several brands and try to stay clear of any of them with parabens in them (bad for ya!)

Physicians Formula is currently my fave of the drugstore brands. The Neutrogena compressed one is ok too for light coverage.

Not sure on the effect with large pores, but I've found a good primer helps me in areas where I've tended to get the powder hung up.

Seriously, I can't recommend Color Science's Line Tamer enough....sometimes I even use it by itself.

Last edited:

ShimmyPrincess

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2009
The Windy City
I use baking soda mixed with water as an exfoliant, and use a 50/50 mix of apple cider vingear and water as a toner. Having hyper-senstive skin, it works great and you can't beat the price!

I love make-up from Sephora, but again, have to be careful about my foundation

mineral make-up didn't work for me, got blotchy and I have a friend that became ill while using it. She went in for blood work and it was an elevated mess. Her DR. determined that using the minerals made her levels go up.

Sexi

ECF Veteran
I like Physician's Formula for a drugstore brand to. If you like the loose powder mineral make up, but appear to be allergic, it might be due to one ingredient......... bismouth (something), it is on the labels. I tried it all, but the ones with this in it made me itch like mad, more like my face was on fire & I constantly wanted to rub it to make it quit, HORRIBLE FEELING!

I didn't use it any of the loose powder mineral foundations, they just seemd to make a big darn mess.

I used to sell Avon & one of their problems was the foundation turning orange, no idea why, but lot of people complain about it.

I have fairly sensitive skin, but found the MAC studio finish line doesn't cause me any problems at all. However you get it in either cool or warm colors & none fit me just right. Warm turned orange, cool was pasty looking. We only have a very small MAC counter at Dillards anywhere close, but the women there are the best their is. For once in my life, we mixed equal parts of cool & warm in the correct tone to make a neutral............. no more turning orange, it looks the same after 10 hours as when it was put on, even in hot weather.

I can go cheap everything except the foundation (MAC) & Mascara. I have got addicted to the new Bare Esssentials Buxon Lash, NOW this is mascara. Not wore it yet in hot weather as it only came out around Christmas, but I don't like waterproof mascara anyway, it is bad for your lashes & eyes.

Big pores, now don't laugh ladies ok......... promise, but this is a good one, even for sensitive skin. We have heard of Smashbox primer, as being one of the better ones right? To expensive to isn't it? It does work miracles for a primer, but hey, we need to save money for our e-cig habits. Grab a tube of "Monistat Anti-Chaffing powder gel", right by the yeast infection stuff at the store, but has no med in it. It has to be this exactly....... compare the ingredients to Smashbox Photo Primer, you will be amazed. Only 1 ingredient is different the best I remember. Their is a mention of this in several spots on either makeupalley or "theshespace.com" also. Heather at theshespace has wonderful foundation also in mineral powder, as far as reviews go. I have used her's as a finishing powder very lightly with a duo-fiber brush, but never as foundation.

OK now your laughing about where I told you to put your Monistat powder gel, I am going to take a nap.

Hugs,
Teresa

QueenInNC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2009
Charlotte, NC USA
I like Physician's Formula for a drugstore brand to. If you like the loose powder mineral make up, but appear to be allergic, it might be due to one ingredient......... bismouth (something), it is on the labels. I tried it all, but the ones with this in it made me itch like mad, more like my face was on fire & I constantly wanted to rub it to make it quit, HORRIBLE FEELING!

I didn't use it any of the loose powder mineral foundations, they just seemd to make a big darn mess.

I used to sell Avon & one of their problems was the foundation turning orange, no idea why, but lot of people complain about it.

I have fairly sensitive skin, but found the MAC studio finish line doesn't cause me any problems at all. However you get it in either cool or warm colors & none fit me just right. Warm turned orange, cool was pasty looking. We only have a very small MAC counter at Dillards anywhere close, but the women there are the best their is. For once in my life, we mixed equal parts of cool & warm in the correct tone to make a neutral............. no more turning orange, it looks the same after 10 hours as when it was put on, even in hot weather.

I can go cheap everything except the foundation (MAC) & Mascara. I have got addicted to the new Bare Esssentials Buxon Lash, NOW this is mascara. Not wore it yet in hot weather as it only came out around Christmas, but I don't like waterproof mascara anyway, it is bad for your lashes & eyes.

Big pores, now don't laugh ladies ok......... promise, but this is a good one, even for sensitive skin. We have heard of Smashbox primer, as being one of the better ones right? To expensive to isn't it? It does work miracles for a primer, but hey, we need to save money for our e-cig habits. Grab a tube of "Monistat Anti-Chaffing powder gel", right by the yeast infection stuff at the store, but has no med in it. It has to be this exactly....... compare the ingredients to Smashbox Photo Primer, you will be amazed. Only 1 ingredient is different the best I remember. Their is a mention of this in several spots on either makeupalley or "theshespace.com" also. Heather at theshespace has wonderful foundation also in mineral powder, as far as reviews go. I have used her's as a finishing powder very lightly with a duo-fiber brush, but never as foundation.

OK now your laughing about where I told you to put your Monistat powder gel, I am going to take a nap.

Hugs,
Teresa

I have used this and you are 100% right! I use Bare Essentials primer mostly, but if I run out, Monistat works jut as well!

Clinique's mineral foundation is pressed, not loose. That is why I use it. I can carry it in my purse.

I am not a fan of the BE mineral veil. So many people love it but I am just not a fan!:confused:

AnglVapin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2009
Cajunland - Louisiana
e
I only use a few things from the place I talked about above, but can't do without the Lancome moisturizers, Revitalash, (Google it, it works!) & MAC for foundation. Love MAC for other things to, but Sephora sure gets alot of business to for odd's & ends.

Anyone ever hang out at makeupalley?

Sexi... I went to buy some Revitalash and stumbled across all sorts of negative blogs about eye discoloration, etc.

Have you noticed any discolorations at all?

Sexi

ECF Veteran
Sexi... I went to buy some Revitalash and stumbled across all sorts of negative blogs about eye discoloration, etc.

Have you noticed any discolorations at all?

No I havn't personally. NOW if I remember correctly, this use to be the case because it has, "something in it, can't remember off the top of my head, that is a med used in glaucoma" that would possible make your eye dark. They have taken the old version of this off the market, oh probably a year ago.

They revised the formula & released it again with "safer" ingredients. The warning still stays there & I don't know why since the med is not in it anymore.

Allergan, Alcon or one of the contact lens companies have made or are making a version also I read on boards somewhere that will be by RX of course.

You really use so little of this stuff only once a day, it has never caused me any problems & they caution you to not over use it, just a small line right at the last line at bedtime is it.......

One container lasted me about 7 months & it started to run dry. I got another one probably to early because it has been open 7 months.

ShimmyPrincess

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2009
The Windy City

Hugs,
Teresa

WOW, I've been spending a small fortune on Smashbox Photo Primer, gotta try that, great tip, thanks!:D

AnglVapin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2009
Cajunland - Louisiana
No I havn't personally. NOW if I remember correctly, this use to be the case because it has, "something in it, can't remember off the top of my head, that is a med used in glaucoma" that would possible make your eye dark. They have taken the old version of this off the market, oh probably a year ago.

They revised the formula & released it again with "safer" ingredients. The warning still stays there & I don't know why since the med is not in it anymore.

Allergan, Alcon or one of the contact lens companies have made or are making a version also I read on boards somewhere that will be by RX of course.

You really use so little of this stuff only once a day, it has never caused me any problems & they caution you to not over use it, just a small line right at the last line at bedtime is it.......

One container lasted me about 7 months & it started to run dry. I got another one probably to early because it has been open 7 months.

Thanks Sexi!

Yes, I remember reading something about the old version versus the new. It was just so mixed that I was unsure.... Then, of course in the middle of the blog, they had all "other" competitors driving people to take a look.. and I did ! LOL I really should stay off of the internet for at least a week. I end up researching the darndest things!

I think I am going to go for it. :D

Oh...loved the info about the "other face stuff" too! 8-o lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread