Smoant Charon TC 218 dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizeris

Sep 27, 2018
I bought a Smoant Charon TC 218 mod, the previous owner said that the mod had a pop up "Check Battery" so he sold it to me and now im trying to fix it. I tried one set of batteries didnt work, usb didnt work either, tried to dissasemble it to check if anything was bad or burned but i didnt really see anything wrong. Any tips or help would be appreciated.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
If the batteries are 100% ok and fully charged:
likely either something wrong on the (-) side (battery contacts, 510 contact, contact point inbetween batteries or contacts to board) or the board doesn't work properly. Check the solder points in those areas (a meter can come in handy). Here's a vid of how it gets assembled, it'll help with disassembling

VapePro

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2018
I bought a Smoant Charon TC 218 mod, the previous owner said that the mod had a pop up "Check Battery" so he sold it to me and now im trying to fix it. I tried one set of batteries didnt work, usb didnt work either, tried to dissasemble it to check if anything was bad or burned but i didnt really see anything wrong. Any tips or help would be appreciated.

Did You pay a lot? I think a new one is like 45 dollars now. I probably wouldn't even bother to take it apart. But if you do manage to get it apart. And if its not a loose wire. You could trying blow drying the circuit board on cool or sticking it in a bag of rice for 24 hours.

My guess is that the battery is fine, in which case means that the circuit board cant read the voltage inside the battery.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
"Check Battery" in my mod means there is a short somewhere in the system. I vape RDA's and normally the short is between the 510 spring pin and the RDA positive pin. You might try different atomizers and see if you get the same "Check Battery" notice. If you do and both atomizers work properly in another mod, you can cross off this cause.
If the cause is within the device, and you checked everything within your capability (wires, solder joints, new/know good batteries, firmware update etc.) might be worth having a B & M vape shop quote cost of repair (might have to call around locally to see if this service is provided). Its all about cost of repair vs cost of new mod.
Could fill in your location, it may help you in obtaining location specific information to your question(s) like above.
On the top right hand corner of this post you will find --"your name" next to "Inbox and Alerts"
Place the mouse pointer on your name. You will get a drop down and on the left hand side of this drop down you will find "Personal Details". Click Personal Details.
In Personal Details, in middle of screen in gray, you will find "Location" Could fill that box line in.
re: New users - Put your location in your Profile...

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Wait, he sold it to you stating he had a "check battery" status do you have a way to get ahold of this person. Give it back and buy new.

Because, I am fairly certain that unless you have a very naiive SELLER that person probably tried to fix the check battery status already, and failed. You can certainly poke around in there (be careful) to a degree and see if you have better luck than said person, and if you are someone who habitually buys and refurbishes broken mods, (which is not the sense I'm getting) your chances of success are very low.

Maybe take it to a competent vape shop, see if they can aid you? But if it were me, I would be finding that person for a "refund" with perhaps a few choice words and etc.

I also would not be inclined to go poking around in the guts of a mod that someone sold me with the status "broken" disguised by "check battery" which... I don't even know there is so much wrong here. Just be careful with it and be prepared to buy your next mod new.

I really... Good luck,

Anna

Reactions: VapePro

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Does the screen display even light up? If not, the board is probably toast.

If it does light up and has the "check battery" error, and you've cleaned the battery contacts with alcohol, and still nothing...probably still toast.

Unless you are particularly an electronics whiz, its not worth trying to fix a bad board. The circuit board is the brains, heart, and soul of the mod. If it isn't working, the mod is dead. I hope you didn't spend much for this.

Last edited:
  • Agree

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Even if you were a electronics whiz, sourcing the components will be near impossible without a schematic that specifies the proper ratings of the parts used. These are micro components, most are too small to be labeled.

I understand everyone wants to save a buck or 2, but can’t understand why someone would knowingly purchase a defective mod. No disrespect to the OP

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yes, I'm still of the opinion that unless you can get the person to return your funds, you are still kind of hosed on this. If you bought it on ebay or something you can use paypal hopefully to address the issue.

I did want to mention, most vapers are not like this. If you can't recoup your funds and that is what money you had to vape, PM me. I may have a kit or something that is unused or that I won that might suit you. I'd hate to see you put off from vaping over something like this, I have something that you can probably vape and enjoy while it's not going to be a Charon mod.

Oh, you can't PM I guess since you are new. I will pm you but if you don't want to give out your private information well I totally understand, but I would be more than willing to send you something. If you are more comfortable just buying a new vape, ignore my message.

Anna

Reactions: ExtremeDooty

VapePro

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2018
Might try contacting Smoant for trouble shooting tips.
Sorry to be negative, but I think that's a waste of time.

There site doesn't list anything about warranties but the do list a support email : wecare@smoant.com

But i think most manufacturers are going to ask for a receipt. and he bought it off someone else who prob doesnt have it.

Anyway, who knows...? maybe the'll be like hear you go son: A blueprint schematic of the Charon TC 218. "We sure would like you to fix that mod so you don't have to spend money on a new one"

O yea, i make a lot of dumb comments.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Sorry to be negative, but I think that's a waste of time.

There site doesn't list anything about warranties but the do list a support email : wecare@smoant.com

But i think most manufacturers are going to ask for a receipt. and he bought it off someone else who prob doesnt have it.

Anyway, who knows...? maybe the'll be like hear you go son: A blueprint schematic of the Charon TC 218. "We sure would like you to fix that mod so you don't have to spend money on a new one"

O yea, i make a lot of dumb comments.
There is no way for him to activate a warranty at this point but it takes less than a minute to ask for help. I do not think of that as a waste of time.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Hi everyone and thanks for all the reply's i cant respond to them now, hard to get free time, but as soon as i will be free i will try all your advices and tips.
Good luck with the mod. Please let us know if you find a fix. If not we'll happily help you spend your money on a new mod.

lizeris

Sep 27, 2018
Okay so i put the charon in rice just now, is there any other methods i could try? I had dissasembeld it a couple days ago but not fully. Monday ill buy a small scewdriver to open it fully, and i paid for it only 10 euro, but still i thought it worked and only said check battery, but now im too embarassed to ask the seller for a refund...

• Optimistic

VapePro

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2018
Okay so i put the charon in rice just now, is there any other methods i could try? I had dissasembeld it a couple days ago but not fully. Monday ill buy a small scewdriver to open it fully, and i paid for it only 10 euro, but still i thought it worked and only said check battery, but now im too embarassed to ask the seller for a refund...
A RECENT DISCOVERY !

When you take apart the mod. Look for the switch button. It has a little red pin sticking out from a 3-4mm square Metal plate cover. Once you locate it :
  1. Pry of the side snap to release the plate cover. and take of the plate and little pin press button.
  2. Behind it is a 4mm metal circle. take this out and clean of the wet eliquid. Remember the concave circle points out.
  3. Clean off the connections behind the metal circle.
  4. put it back together.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
i put the charon in rice
FailFish.png

Rice never, NEVER, does any good to electronics. The myth on the net that you should put electronics in rice to "dry them" is wrong and can even cause additional damage. So for whatever reason you put it in there take it out.
Rice doesn't dry anything (in fact just letting something sit in a warm dry place is much more effective) and you don't want to let water sit and dry on electronics anyways. You want to wipe and/or displace it (like after a toilet session you wipe your .... and don't let it dry, right?).

Next: why did you put it in there, what problem did you try to fix? Did you drop it in water? Is there eliquid on the board?

• Love
Reactions: Letitia
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread