SMOK E-Priv 230W TC Kit with TFV12 Prince Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Hi ECF members, In this review i take a look at the E-Priv 230W TC Kit with TFV12 Prince tank from smok. The E-Priv 230W TC Kit with TFV12 Prince tank was supplied for the purpose of this review by Ruby from Smok.

E-Priv Kit - SMOK® Innovation keeps changing the vaping experience!

Introduction

The E-Priv is a 230W max device that is paired with the very popular Prince tank. I know what your thinking "another high powered device from Smok!". The E-Priv though does see a revamp of there chip and interface but the menu system is just tweaked so it keeps the familiarity (smok interfaces i find very user friendly). Most of the revamp of the interface is cosmetic giving it a slightly different aesthetic look mainly to the main screen while the rest of the interface is almost identical. The aesthetics of the device it'self in my opinion is a departure from the usual Smok type design so lets give it a look.

In the Box

Contents:

Standard Edition

1x SMOK E-Priv Mod
1x TFV12 Prince Tank- 8ml
1x V12 Prince Dual Mesh Coil 0.2ohm (Pre-Installed)
1x V12 Prince Mesh Max 0.17ohm
1x Replacement Glass Tube
1x Anti-slip Ring
1x USB Cable
1x User Manual
Spare Parts

EU Edition

1x SMOK E-Priv Mod
1x TFV12 Prince Tank- 2ml
1x V12 Prince Dual Mesh Coil 0.2ohm (Pre-Installed)
1x V12 Prince Mesh Max 0.17ohm
1x Anti-slip Ring
1x USB Cable
1x User Manual
Spare Parts

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The E-Priv Kit comes in the usual Smok packaging and once opened i was met by an average sized dual 18650 device which has some reassuring weight to it. I received the Black Silver version that comes with a Black Prince tank, the kit is also available in Black Red, Black Gold, Black Blue and Black Green. The aesthetics are a bit of a departure from the usual Smok look in my opinion, after it was brought to my attention the design was based on a car engine i could see this but my first impression was it had more of a Modefined look about the device, when the device is on the main screen it makes me think Modefined even more. The fact is everyone has an opinion but personally i find the E-Priv to be the most aesthetically pleasing device from Smok to date. The centre of the front, back, top and battery hatch are Black (this is the same on all colour options) and the sides of the device in my case are Silver. The Front of the device has a high definition colour screen central, above this are 3 horizontal fixed bars off-set to one another, then right at the top we have a plaque with "SMOK" in Silver. Below the screen we have 4 more off-set horizontal bars, the top 2 are the navigational bars the bottom 2 are fixed, the higher of the 2 fixed bars houses the micro USB port. The back of the device reminds me of a chest of draws, central to each fixed draw we have a little grub screw tightened in place that looks like the handle of the draw, again at the top we have a plaque this time "E-PRIV" is in Silver. The sides of the device have an identical design with raised "V12" and grooves, within this design on one side is housed the fire bar. The bottom of the device is the battery hatch door which has a catch and safety stamps, moving to the top we have a central Gold plated, spring loaded 510. On the top the side panels are raised which will limit the size of tank that can be used, but for these sides to come into play you would need to be trying to fit a tank that would have overhang to the front and back of the device, but i personally don't think up to 1mm overhang looks too bad but you don't have the option of fitting bigger than 26mm tanks. The E-Priv feels and looks quality and the curved sides and fire bar make it very ergonomic.

TFV12 Prince Specs and Features:

Size: 63 x 28mm / 63 x 25.5mm (EU Edition)
Capacity: 8ml/ 2ml (EU Edition)
Material: Stainless steel and Pyrex glass
Cobra Drip Tip
Convex Glass Tube 8ml
Adjustable Bottom Airflow
Patented Locking Mechanism
Top refill system
Thread: 510
Colours: Countless, all kits come with Black Prince with o-rings matching the colour of the device.

Prince Overview

I have reviewed the Prince in a full review and a few times as part of a kit and despite i originally found overall it's more of a cloud producing tank than a flavour tank, since more coils have been released and with the right coil you can get decent flavour (excellent stock flavour with mesh coils). The coils provided are the new dual mesh 0.2ohm which is pre-installed and the coil i used with the kit, it has a rating of 50w - 80w. The other coil provided is the 0.17 max mesh coil which is a single mesh coil and rated much higher between 80w and 130w. There are plenty of other coils available, included some more suited to lower wattage as well as an RBA deck available. The Prince is top-fill and has a lock mechanism in the form of a button that needs pressing before the top slides side-wards on a hinge, with the bulge glass fitted the prince has a massive 8ml capacity but of course if you are in the EU then the capacity is somewhat reduced. The Prince's build quality is excellent and is Smok's attempt of taming the TFV12 Cloud Beast slightly to find good flavour and i would say it's a success. Because this is the fifth time i have received the Prince (four times with a kit) i only tried the new dual mesh coil and mainly used the E-Priv with different tanks.

E-Priv 230W Specs and Features:

Size: 85 x 47 x 31.88mm
Power Range: 1W-230W
Input Voltage: 6.4V-9.0V
Outpiut Voltage: 0.5V-9.5V
Charging Voltage: 5V
Charging Current: 1.3A
Resistance Range: 0.1 - 2.5ohm (VW) / 0.05 - 2ohm (TC)
Temperature Range: 200℉--600℉/100℃--315℃
Working Mode: VW/[align=justify]TC(Ti/Ni/SS)/Memory Mode
Micro-USB Port: Charging / Firmware Upgrades
Battery: 2x 18650 battery (not included)
Material: Zinc Alloy
Come with large fire key
Cool and fashion engine-like appearance
High definition TFT screen with multiple protections
Firmware upgradeable
Thread: 510
Colours: Black Red, Black Gold, Black Blue, Black Green, Black Silver

Fitting the Batteries

The E-Priv operates using dual 18650 batteries that are fitted via the bottom hatch door. The hatch has a physical catch that needs moving to the open or shut positions, i find the bottom doors that has a physical catch are far more secure. Once the batteries are fitted you do need to push the door down with a bit of force to get into position to close the catch but once done it's very secure and there is no rattle from the battery or door and the door has no movement whatsoever. Once again battery orientation although marked clearly inside the battery compartment is Black on Black on the door, please Smok can this be White in future?

The Main Display

To turn the device on is 5 clicks of the fire bar, but once on turning off the device needs to be done inside the menu system and 5 clicks locks and unlocks the device, when locked the device will not fire. The main screen display is a complete departure from previous Smok displays, we have top left the puffs, top right we have battery status bars for both batteries, bottom left is the resistance and bottom right the voltage. The centre of the screen has a steampunk background display, the colour of this and highlighted sections can be altered in the menu. Over the top of the design we have your wattage, to the right of this is your preset and W for watts, of course when in temp control rather than watts temperature will be displayed, finally underneath the displayed wattage (or temp) we have time vaped.

The Menu System

Navigating around the menu system is easy enough, 3 clicks of the fire bar takes you to the first screen which is your mode screen where you can scroll across the different options which are, W, Ti, Ni, SS and M. In the menu system to alter anything on the screen hold down the fire bar and it highlights what you can alter which is done using the + and - keys. If you can alter more than one thing on the screen then holding down the fire bar highlights the first thing you can alter then holding down the fire bar again will take you to the next thing you can alter and so on. On the mode screen on wattage you can set wattage (of course that can also be done as normal on the main screen) and set preheat, on a temp control wire you can alter wattage for temp control and enter a TCR value, on M (memory) you can select or alter one of the 23 memory slots. When in the menu system if you press the fire bar rather than holding it down it takes you to the next screen, the other screens are Puff (set puff limit or reset puffs), Screen colour (on this screen you can set the steampunk design on the main screen and highlighted information one of six different colours, also on this screen you can set screen timeout and auto lock), the final screen is your Power screen which is where you can turn the device off. There are some short cuts on the device + and - together locks and unlocks the device (quicker than the 5 clicks to do the same thing), + and fire together allows you to alter the preheat without going into the menu proper and - and fire together allows you to quickly switch modes without going into the menu system.

My Experience Using the E-Priv Kit

First thing as ever is to say i do not vape in temp control i also do not have equipment to get data so i simply review devices on how i found there performance as a personal experience. As with most modern devices the E-priv fired instantly with no delay and all wattage's i vaped at seemed very accurate. As for top wattage i have no way of knowing but Smok devices do fair well as power devices and i have heard the improvement in the chip is to do with wattage so i don't think the E-Priv will be a million miles away from the claimed wattage. I tried the device at low wattage and the device was impressively silent and with all tanks i tried it performed well. The fire bar is very nice and i found the device ideal for using a squeezing motion to fire, the ergonomics are spot on. Navigating around the device was familiar and easy but still no curves feature from Smok which is a feature i tend to use if available. Also you are limited to 26mm tanks due to the raised sides which might be an issue for some. Battery life is what i would expect from a dual 18650 and the E-priv is fully firmware upgradeable. I found the 0.2 mesh coil that i actually put into a previously used Prince tank gave very good flavour as i would expect from a mesh coil, i found it best at 65w.

Pros

Solid sturdy device
Best aesthetically pleasing smok device to date (just my opinion)
Revamped Chip and interface while staying familiar
User friendly interface
High definition colour screen
Ergonomic
Very nice fire bar
Sturdy battery door
Fires Instantly
Temp control (not tested)
Prince tank
Mesh coils
Good battery life
Firmware upgradeable

Cons

Limited to 26mm tanks max
Black on Black battery orientation on battery door
No Curves feature
I put receiving the Prince as a pro but would of been nice to of had the introduction of a brand new tank.

I would once again like to thank Ruby from Smok for supplying the E-Priv 230W TC Kit with TFV12 Prince Tank for the purpose of this review.

E-Priv Kit - SMOK® Innovation keeps changing the vaping experience!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread