Smok Procolor Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Hi ECF members, In this review i take a look at a kit i've had for a while now, the Procolor Kit from smok. The kit was kindly supplied for the purpose of this review by Ema from sourcemore.

https://www.sourcemore.com/smok-procolor...urple.html

In the Box

Contents:

1* ProColor Mod
1* TFV8 Big Baby tank
1* V8 Baby-Q2 0.4ohm Dual Coils(pre-installed)
1* V8 Baby-T8 0.15ohm Octuple Coils
1* Replacement Glass Tube
1* USB Cable
1* User Manual
2* Vape Bands
Spare parts
Battery Safety Card

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

On opening the typical Smok packaging you are met by a very slightly larger than normal duel battery device. The eyes are immediately drawn to a large shield shape which incorporates the screen in the center of the device. Aesthetically the device looks like a cross between the Alien and the Kaos by Sigelei. The shield shape does look kind of cool and the thick shield shaped band contain LED's if that's your thing. On turning the device over you have a carbon fiber matching shield on the back of the device. It has the side fire bar we have become accustomed to with Smok products and the opposite side is more rounded with non slip texturing. The glossy finish on the device has a quality look to it and Smok have used their updated coating which is more durable than previous so hopefully the finish will last. The Big Baby supplied with the kit fits nicely and comes in a matching colour to the mod, although my tank was a shade darker than the device but it is barely noticeable. Ergonomically the Procolor feels great in the hand and as usual being a Smok product the fire bar helps with this. From time to time in this review i will compare certain things to the Alien as the Procolor is supposed to be an upgrade device to it. On ergonomics due to being slightly smaller the Alien as the edge but the Procolor i would still describe as ergonomically friendly. The batteries fit via the bottom of the device exactly the same as the Alien and the battery orientation is clearly marked.

Big Baby Specs:

Stainless Steel
Size: 24.5mm x 56mm
Weight: 60g
Capacity: 5ml
Thread: 510
Adjustable AIrflow
Top Refill

The Big Baby Overview

The big baby is the Baby Beast just larger with a 5ml capacity. The only differences are a wider drip-tip and bigger airflow but essentially it's the same tank. Because i have used the Baby Beast that often with different kits i mainly used the Procolor with different tanks which i am testing ready for review but i still wanted to try the big baby to see how it compared to it's smaller sibling. It has the same top-fill system where it just slides opens sidewards on a hinge revealing a filling slot. It fastens back into place with a satisfying click. I used the pre-installed 0.4 coil on 50W with the airflow fully open and found the flavour identical to the Baby Beast but not quite as smooth. After altering the airflow to 2 thirds open i then matched the smoothness of the Baby Beast. Although i needed to alter the airflow to get the vape i liked, which means for my personal preference the Baby Beast matches the performance of the Big Baby some people will prefer the bigger airflow you get with the Big Baby and when you then factor in the larger capacity the Big Baby is the better tank.

Procolor Specs and Features:

Dimensions: 85mm x 46mm x 29.5mm
Weight: 151g
Case material: Mixed materials
Screw: 510 thread & sprung connector
Max tank diameter: 25mm
Style: Stylish, high-power mod with customisable LED light effects
Fire button: SMOK non-slip Fire bar
Battery type: 2 x matched 18650 batteries (not supplied)
Output power: 6 to 225 Watts
Output voltage: 0.5 to 9.0 Volts
Temperature adjustment: 100 to 315ºC
VW compatible resistance: 0.1 to 3.0 Ohms
TC compatible resistance: 0.06 to 3.0 Ohms
Multicolour OLED display with custom LED surround
Updated screen layout
Carbon fibre effect shield on back of mod
USB charging & software upgrade below screen
Features customisable LED lightshow
SMOK USB cable included
Multiple VW vape strength settings
Ni, Ti & SS control modes (TC)
TCR settings with memory
Initial TC coil resistance adjustment
Puff counter & vape timer displayed
2 battery level icons top-right
Click-lock battery cover on base
Comes full set of SMOK safety features
Fun mod with advanced high-power features
Compact size & light weight
Comfortable design for the hand & pocket
Comes in Multitude of colours

The Menu and Using the Procolor

As you have probably read above; the Procolor is packed with features and although i have always liked the Smok menu system the Procolor introduces a brand new user interface and it's a winner. The device has an HD colour screen which makes the display very sharp, bright and crystal clear. The menu system has a lot of options but it is as user friendly as previous interfaces from Smok. To get into the menu it's the same 3 clicks but from there it's entirely different. Each click of the fire bar takes you to the next menu screen. Each screen has plenty of options that can be scrolled through using the shield side keys. If a certain option has more choices to it a long fire button press takes you to that section to set. The device as all the normal stuff you would expect from any high powered device including temperature control, pre-heat, soft, normal, and hard settings. The screen can also be customized choosing the colour of the font. There are all sorts of options for lighting the shield up. There are 10 colours to choose from which you can set to permanently on, fade or flashing. You can set the shield to only light up while firing and also do this with flashing effect if you wish. Rather than choosing one of the 10 colours you can set the shield to go through the full colour spectrum to give a full light show (again fade or flash). If you are not into devices with LED's no worries they can be turned off and the Procolor isn't relying on them to be a nice looking device. It is really difficult to do the new interface justice in a text review, the only other thing to mention is the whole system is very pleasing to the eye and the layout is more in common to a touch screen device with loads of information on each screen without appearing cluttered.

Performance

The Procolor performs great with no noticeable delay and seems to do the chosen wattage comfortably, it's at least a match for the Alien. As expected there was no problems with the temperature control and i have really enjoyed using the device. I don't know whether the device as any hidden venting like around the fire button for example but although i didn't notice the device getting hot i would like to see visible venting. At the top end i would imagine 200w maximum like any other 200w and a few device i can't see how you would top 100w per battery. As well as having a better user interface, and far better screen than the Alien it also can fit slightly bigger tanks. 25.5mm are flush but even a 26mm only has approx 0.25 mm overhang on one side which is barely noticeable. The battery life compared to other dual battery devices is good despite the lighting so i really don't think the LED's use much power but i do only set them to light up while firing. The device is fully firmware upgradeable and has on-board charging.

Conclusion

At the beginning of the review i said the Procolor was a cross between the Alien and the Kaos. It matches the Alien on performance but boasts a lot better display and menu system as well as being able to accommodate larger tanks. The LED's also seem better on the Procolor than the Kaos and while liking the Kaos a lot, the Procolor is definitely the better device.

Great User Interface
Clear HD colour OLED Screen
Customizable menu colors
Temperature control with TCR customization
Can fit larger tanks than Alien
Customizable LED light panel
Buttons nice and clicky
Quality construction
Firmware upgradeable
Comes in multitude of colours

Dislikes

Would like to see more venting
Tank is not exact colour match to device (didn't bother me because it's very close)

I would like to thank Ema from Sourcemore once again for supplying the device.

https://www.sourcemore.com/smok-procolor...urple.html

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Just bought one today. I really like it so far. Easy to use settings, basically a fancy looking Alien imo. Same cost so I went with the Pro Color. Very nice display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes theres no improvement in performance the improvement is all in the display and menu system and the LED's are a bonus for people who like that sort of thing (i must admit i do).

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Yes theres no improvement in performance the improvement is all in the display and menu system and the LED's are a bonus for people who like that sort of thing (i must admit i do).
it did improve performance though. more watts, higher amp limit then an alien. TC is a little better too but still not a mod i'd recommend for TC usage or expect a good vape from

6ha1kQt.png

aorFzCJ.png

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
@Anthony_Vapes do you use different software than Djlsb vapes? his charts said in his words " temp control is very, very good" so i find it a bit confusing, the different findings. I had a dabble at it and found it fine as a vaping experience but in general i don't tend to use temp control so very much a novice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bayou14

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
@Anthony_Vapes do you use different software than Djlsb vapes? his charts said in his words " temp control is very, very good" so i find it a bit confusing, the different findings. I had a dabble at it and found it fine as a vaping experience but in general i don't tend to use temp control so very much a novice.
As much as I like djl, I find his opinion on temp control to be bogus. He also said the alien was good too lol.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread