Status
Not open for further replies.

SP013

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
Hiya,

The newest dual battery mod by smok the Rigel. It is a kit that comes with the TFV9 which I reviewed with the Scar-18 kit.

What makes this box special is its weight and size, it is both light and small for a dual battery mod.

Specifications:

SMOK RIGEL 230W Box Mod Features:
Dimensions - 88mm by 44mm by 28.8mm
Dual High-Amp 18650 Batteries - Not Included
Wattage Output Range: 1-230W
Voltage Output Range: 1-8V
Resistance Range: 0.1-2.5ohms
Firing Speed: 0.001s
Zinc-Alloy Chassis Construction
Soft-Rubberized Coating
Single Firing Button
0.96" TFT Display Screen
Two Adjustment Buttons
Magnetic Battery Back Cover
Intelligent Atomizer Recognition
Puff Monitoring System
8S Cut-Off Protection
Short-Circuit Protection
Over-Heating Protection
Low Battery Warning
Threaded 510 Connection
Type-C USB Port
Available in Black Red, Silver, Black Blue, Black, Black Green

SMOK TFV9 Sub-Ohm Tank Features:
28mm Diameter
6.5mL Tank Capacity
Pyrex Glass Reinforcement
Superior 304 Stainless Steel Chassis Construction
Sliding Top Fill System - Single Fill Port
SMOK TFV9 Coil Series
0.15ohm V9 Meshed Coil - rated for 40-90W
Press Fit Coil Installation
Dual Slotted Airflow Control Ring
510 Connection

Packaging:

1x RIGEL Mod
1x TFV9 Tank
2x 0.15ohm V9 Meshed Coil
1x Replacement Glass Tube
1x Type-C Cable
1x User Manual

Review:

Indeed it is small, the smallest dual battery mod I have ever owned. Also because of the box being made fully out of plastic it is extremely light. How light? With batteries (190g) inserted it was just 10g heavier than the Geekvape Aegis X without batteries. See below a comparison with the Aegis X.

Plastic sounds cheap, I know, but the technology used is key here. It has the same kind of pattern as the Vaporesso Gen (one of my favs) giving it a grippy, almost silicone like, and solid feel.

Like the looks of this device, the carbon panels on the front look cool. I would have preferred the black frame around the screen and panels to be of the exact same design as the rest of the device. The tank is as well silver but does not have the same kind of pattern as the mod which makes it not a perfect match.

Had to get used to the irregular shape of the device, in the beginning it did not feel very comfortable. I found a way of holding it and I got used to it. For me its a thumb fire device only, as index finger feels a bit akward. Everyone has their own way of holding devices, I guess that with this device everyone would find a way for a comfortable hold.

Pity the 510 connector is not centralized, which limits to 28mm without overhang. If it would be centralized it would nicely fit a 30mm tank, for example one of my favorite tanks the Aromamizer plus V2.

Battery door can be easily pulled with the slot on the bottom if the device. The door is held together strongly by magnets and there is no play to it, stays in place very well.

Bright and large enough screen that contains all relevant information. Like the fact here is battery indication in % for both batteries. You can switch between 6 themes (colors) by simultaneously holding fire and plus.

All buttons are very clicky and are not wiggling. Fire button is nice and large, hard to miss. The downside of these buttons is that there is not so much you can do with it.

Very limited in functionalities, it only supports VW. Other things you can do is reset puff counter, change theme, lock wattage and lock fire button, that's it. I do like that you can choose to either lock wattage or fire button. For me the limited functionalities are not a very big deal as I use VW in 99% of the cases anyway, but I can imagine it is a no for some vapers.

It fires up quick and the fire button is very reactive, always good. It has USB-C, which for me on an external battery mod is not very important as I charge my batteries outside of the mod.

TFV9 tank is what you get in the kit, and I really like this tank.

It has a quite unique fill system by pulling the top cap up and sliding the top cap to the side and away from the tank. It feels a bit fragile while opening and closing, I didn’t have any issues with it. Its child proof system is always a good thing as I have a kid.

Because of the system the rubber plug gets a bit deformed overtime, that is why SMOK included another one in case it needs replacement. Large enough fill hole for easy filling.

Coils are screwed into the base, a system which I overall am not a fan off, I am more a fan of plug systems, but then again, those systems don’t use large high wattage coils. Screwing coils on and off is smooth.

Airflow has one large sleeve, but the base of the tank has two sleeves, probably to make the base more solid. It is quite loud this airflow, no matter if its fully open or almost closed, it also whistles when the airflow is about 80% closed, pity.

If it’s about flavor and performance there is nothing to complain. These new Kanthal mesh coils deliver outstanding flavor and have a proper lifespan. Been using the initial coil for 2 weeks now and it still performs well. It says the coils are recommended from 40-90 Watts, but I have a feeling that above 80W they are having trouble keeping up and providing a dryer hit. I liked vaping these coils most at 75W, at which it has no issues with chain vaping.

Not sure about the coil options, on the SMOK website I can only find this one V9 Meshed coil that is compatible.

Conclusion

A very light-weight box mod with a well performing tank. It is a pleasure vaping on this kit, no trouble with it really. It feels nice in the hand and is small for a dual 18650 mod.

This kit is for those that are looking for a light-weight box-mod and don’t care about functionalities, such at TC, as this box is very limited. For wattage vaping it does the job well.

You have to be careful with the coil as I feel it can’t keep up with 80+ watts.

Its shape is something I had to get used to, but it gets comfortable overtime.

For 60$ you will be able to pick up this kit on various websites.

Special thanks to @SMOK_Sophia for sending me this kit.

Thank you,

Sjoerd

• Love
Reactions: ZuberVape8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread