Smok Stick X8 Flooding-Like Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan Tran

Dec 22, 2017
I recently bought a Smok Stick X8 and I'm having a few issues here.

First off, it seems like when I draw from my vape, it feels like there is liquid inside the tube. I am almost certain that I haven't accedentally dropped e-juice in there. But on the topic of juice in the tube, it looks like you can see the wick holes through the cotten. You can see it in the picture. Is this normal? Is this what was causing the e-juice to leak inside?

Also, it seems as though as the vaper is also hot. What should I do about that? The coil is the .13 ohm coil in the kit.

Attachments

• IMG_1070.JPG
    IMG_1070.JPG
    236.3 KB · Views: 463

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Sometimes getting a little flooding on refill is normal. If it's bottom airflow, you can blow gently through the air holes to clear it. Seeing wicking material is not uncommon with coils. You may want to make sure it's fully seated in its coil housing. If top air, you can turn your tank upside down for a bit, and the extra liquid should just drip out, leaving you with a non flooded coil.

I don't know a TON about tank coils as I don't own any smok tanks, but I'm sure others will be along to help. Is this your first use of the tank? If not, did it start happening over time or has it been this way from the start?

It's just really not unusual to get a bit of flooding on refill sometimes but if you have a continuing problem, that would be helpful to know, as the solution may be something a bit different.

Good luck,

Anna

Reactions: Vaperer

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
When your filling your tank be sure to close or block the airflow as to not lose much pressure. Also, if it's to hot for you, you may need a higher ohm coil to get the vape you want. Your using a sub ohm coil that will produce a lot of heat on a fresh battery. You can't adjust the wattage on that device so perhaps getting a regulated mod and tank that will give you more options to find your perfect vape.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

Vaperer

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2017
Just turn it upside down in a glass at night that's what I do and it works perfect. I forgot who told me that but it was in this forum.
I thought it was crazy but it works.
If you got good eyesight and can do it change all your O-rings out as well.
I did both of these things so I don't know which one actually fixed it but I do believe putting it upside down is works the best.

Ethan Tran

Dec 22, 2017
Thanks for all of the replies. I've tried the "put it upside down and let it sit" technique and it worked for me.

Also, Anna, it's not the first time I've used this tank. I've had this device for maybe around two weeks. The problems, if you can call it that anymore, started to happen a few days ago. But after all the solutions and facts that I just found out, it's pretty much solved.

I may sound a bit paranoid but I want to lastly know if inhaling on the vape and it feels a bit hard to pull in, compared to the other coil I had in there, is normal.

Thanks again for the tips and stuff!

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I recently bought a Smok Stick X8 and I'm having a few issues here.
Welcome and glad you joined.
You are not the first to have this problem, won't be the last by the look of it.
Might like to read:
New and need some advice
It's a shame some manufacturers do not throughly test their products before they distribute.
Could see CoastalCowboy's comments regarding your problem.I could not say it better.
Re: https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/smok-qbox.831267/#post-20080501

• Informative

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome. A little flooding on low ohm, direct lung coils is pretty normal. They're made for fast and free juice transport to avoid dry hits. Moving up the ohms scale for a coil will probably fix, or at least attenuate, both problems. Try a .5ish ohm coil and see what that does.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, I think you are going to get facts, and alternative facts, as it were as there is some disagreement with this issue. I used to clean my (very small) nautilus coils by washing in very hot water then soaking overnight, and then rinsing again the next day which would usually give me a few more days from the coil... With that said, there are some that feel that reusing that cotton is not a good idea. I've pulled one apart to check for "burnt-ness" and it didn't look too bad at all to me. Their coil life will be reduced, and I found that I wasn't sure it was really worth it in my case, given the cost of the coils.

I do save my spent coils for "that day" when they're unobtainable in case it ever happens as I hear (and have found but not watched) a video in which they can be recoiled and re-wicked, but now that I'm not using them exclusively, it's not so much a problem so I don't do it as much. In my opinion it's fairly safe, although different folks have different methods, such as using everclear and then rinsing and etc. Some folks boil their coils briefly.

Some coils are much more easily rebuilt than others, such as the Joytech CLR coil, which is really an easier rebuild, although they aren't all easy and I'd say the coils you have might be difficult to rebuild (I don't have any I don't sub0hm).

So that's kind of the deal... Coil life can be slightly extended (in my opinion) although you may be given different information by others and such is vaping and coils.

Best of luck and if you don't get into RTAs (where rewicking and recoiling really is cheap) you're probably going to have to find a way to afford the coils you like, even if that means buying from Fasttech or another Chinese site. Best of luck,

Anna

Reactions: Vaperer

Paul999

Feb 1, 2018
Hi, I work in a vape shop and own many different Smok tanks including the X-8 baby beast. Nice vape, nice flavour but I have put it away as it floods. Likewise, many of my customers have experienced the same problem and I have analysed the cause. It is all to do with maintaining vacuum in the tank and unfortunately, this tank has a problem with remaining sealed. The lid loosens itself due to lack of sufficient tension on it. Compare how easily the lid swivels on the x-baby beast tank to the baby beast. The fit on the baby beast is tight and maintains vacuum while the x-baby lid swivels loosely. Way too loose to hold vacuum. This is not easy to fix. I believe that Smok needs to address this problem urgently. We have stopped selling them until this is fixed.

A tank gurgles and sometimes spits for two reasons: flooding of the coil and running the coil below its recommended minimum wattage limit which causes the liquid to boil but not vaporize. Slow filling is the major cause of flooding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread