Smok x cube II issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdrabun

Jun 27, 2015
OK so I originally loved my x cube 2 but today it started acting crazy. The display started doing this whole static thing like white noise on a TV. Took the batteries out, put new ones in just in case, display came back. However, I noticed it dimming and getting brighter randomly. Then it went completely dark. I let it sit for a while and it went back to working properly only to start doing the white noise screen and then repeating the whole deal. Now my screen is gone, the thing still fires but I can't adjust it. And the Bluetooth app only works half the time so i can't really use that. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm thinking my rda might have dripped through the connector or screw holes and juice is shorting it out. Any advice or help would be great. Still waiting to hear from the manufacturer.

If you believe you had juice enter the logic board section and the screen is futzing you might have juice on the display part of the board / connector. I have an xcube II, the screen is sealed but the +/- buttons are not. Check the top of the battery sled for juice.

Also the firmware tool wipes the onboard ROM before you let it upload the new firmware, be carful with it if you try. Mine came as 1.06 and I brought it up to 1.08.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Sounds like a user failure if you kept letting juice get all over the top.
They have a warranty for self destructive behavior, but that may not help here.

Options include:
Return and hope they fix.
Disassemble and attempt self-repair.
Replace.

Good luck with it.
:)

Alcohol, then rice

FringeChief68

Kingsguard
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
OK so I originally loved my x cube 2 but today it started acting crazy. The display started doing this whole static thing like white noise on a TV. Took the batteries out, put new ones in just in case, display came back. However, I noticed it dimming and getting brighter randomly. Then it went completely dark. I let it sit for a while and it went back to working properly only to start doing the white noise screen and then repeating the whole deal. Now my screen is gone, the thing still fires but I can't adjust it. And the Bluetooth app only works half the time so i can't really use that. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm thinking my rda might have dripped through the connector or screw holes and juice is shorting it out. Any advice or help would be great. Still waiting to hear from the manufacturer.
If you check out their FB page SMOK Technology Co.,Ltd | Facebook and read the comments under the contest post, you will see your not alone.
But SMOK has not replied to any of the problems people are having with their X Cube II :(

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA

The Company has their head up their you know what and they are putting out their mods with defective firmware... You need to get the proper update software and update the firmware. The problem is acting very much like the chip is malfunctioning but it's not. However, you have to get the correct update or it's not going to solve the problem.

Reactions: FringeChief68

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2015
    Cleveland TN
    crikey - i guess i just have to count my blessings here... had read some initial concerns about screen placement and leaking, so have been pretty careful with the one I pre-ordered and to date, have just used the tfv4 tank on (but since the tank kind of rocks, really have no complaints there - and have other devices I use for rdas)... used beta tool for update, only got it to 1.00090, re-did update with old tool, got it to 1.00091 with no issues thus far... really hope Smok steps up and sorts this out - they took a huge hit with the bunk TC on the M80 plus (which I have and is a great mod in wattage mode, again, no issues with it thus far) and if they screw the pooch on this, they may have a REALLY tough time recovering

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    crikey - i guess i just have to count my blessings here... had read some initial concerns about screen placement and leaking, so have been pretty careful with the one I pre-ordered and to date, have just used the tfv4 tank on (but since the tank kind of rocks, really have no complaints there - and have other devices I use for rdas)... used beta tool for update, only got it to 1.00090, re-did update with old tool, got it to 1.00091 with no issues thus far... really hope Smok steps up and sorts this out - they took a huge hit with the bunk TC on the M80 plus (which I have and is a great mod in wattage mode, again, no issues with it thus far) and if they screw the pooch on this, they may have a REALLY tough time recovering

yeah time will tell brother... I am glad you are not having any probs though. After checking around a bit last night after the other fella got his update to finally work, I noticed that lots of folks are starting to have similar problems and it's all to to a bit of code in the firmware. I can't understand how a Company could miss something that blatantly obvious.

bluecat

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 22, 2012
    Cincy
    It is a little late at this point, but SMOK should be one of the mod makers on your "avoid" list, next to Cloupor.

I like my little Smok M50. No issues with it. I also don't allow liquid to leak or slam it on the ground. I did sand the film off the negative plate not sure if I needed to but it took maybe 30 seconds which included walking down to my workbench and finding some sandpaper.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    Comedy of assertions sand assumptions going on everywhere.

Response to many facebook complaints:
    And 99% of those are still - User error

Tanks need people that can look and make sure they are set up properly.
    Ripping the Glass from a silicone gasket is not smart. Hot water or vodka soak. Glass is not polished and will bite to seal. Most Glass tanks are NOT polished.

Error Code issue is a non issue and steps are explained on Smok's site.

X CUBE II V1.091 firmware upgrade guide--SMOK® Being with you for all great vaping time!
    Practically every time something goes wrong, people blame the maker and take NO Responsibility of their own.

It is a little late at this point, but SMOK should be one of the mod makers on your "avoid" list, next to Cloupor.

2 Cloupor Mini's and a D2 that allow me to counter that claim ;)

Last edited:

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Comedy of assertions sand assumptions going on everywhere.

Response to many facebook complaints:

X CUBE II V1.091 firmware upgrade guide--SMOK® Being with you for all great vaping time!
    Practically every time something goes wrong, people blame the maker and take NO Responsibility of their own.

2 Cloupor Mini's and a D2 that allow me to counter that claim ;)

You have a point ...But I don't think a Company should be shipping out products with faulty firmware that needs upgraded. That is ridiculous... I have never dealt with this problem with any of my other mod brands. Most of the time, the other mods I have gotten were already upgraded from the factory and the ones that were not upgraded did not have confusing and varied versions of upgrades to have to deal with.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    You have a point ...But I don't think a Company should be shipping out products with faulty firmware that needs upgraded. That is ridiculous... I have never dealt with this problem with any of my other mod brands. Most of the time, the other mods I have gotten were already upgraded from the factory and the ones that were not upgraded did not have confusing and varied versions of upgrades to have to deal with.

Understand what you are attempting to say, but it is a Tiny bit difficult to Already include a just released Upgrade on an already shipped/ tested and working device.

MS/Apple update issues non-stop
    Yihi and others bring out Upgrades to correct previously unknown issues.

I think people are not thinking about updates(upgrades) in proper perspective.
    The Companies that at least are able to offer unit corrections are a step ahead and save us money over and over as opposed to buying the next(corrected) edition.
    (Ahmmm.....DNA:sneaky:)

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Understand what you are attempting to say, but it is a Tiny bit difficult to Already include a just released Upgrade on an already shipped/ tested and working device.

MS/Apple update issues non-stop
    Yihi and others bring out Upgrades to correct previously unknown issues.

I think people are not thinking about updates(upgrades) in proper perspective.
    The Companies that at least are able to offer unit corrections are a step ahead and save us money over and over as opposed to buying the next(corrected) edition.
    (Ahmmm.....DNA:sneaky:)

Yeah I know what you are saying brother but any Company worth their ho ho's would already have factored into the equation that people may be attaching all types of strange tanks and such to their mods and had code created and installed into their firmware to deal with said situations. In other words, it is a lack of foresight on their part. A consumer should not be responsible for their lack of foresight.... I mean we are dealing with a very simple board in these mods.... It is not anywhere like a PC/Apple computer which is far more complex. I could understand a few bugs here and there in that situation but with a simple mod it is not excusable. It appears they were in a big rush to push the product ($$$) but lacked in foresight.

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2015
    Cleveland TN
    RIP dripper says about xcube 2 not able to fit into some tanks... anyone have this problem?
    um... not quite sure what you are asking here... i have a number of tanks and the x cube would not fit INTO any of them... is he saying it won't work with some tanks because of connection?

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    From an ECF member, user
    jseah - I am pretty amazed at the battery life of this mod. My first set of fully charged batteries lasted me 42 hours. Just swapped out batteries again. This time the second set of fully charged batteries last me just under two full days (47 hours). And I have been vaping on this mod pretty much exclusively the entire time, except for maybe a couple of hours of vaping on my dripper on a different mod.

The XCube 2. And through the two days, that would be 4 tanks of juice on the Freemax Starre Pro (4 ml each tank), so that would be about 15-16 ml's of juice. Since I'm using temp control, I pretty much vape the tank dry before I refill it.

Some opinions seem to differ

jseah

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 16, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY, USA

And yet this happens all of the time with smartphones. I know both Samsung and Apple had released smartphone that needed a patch fix released the same day.

Last edited:
    Reactions: dcfluegel

jseah

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 16, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY, USA
    From an ECF member, user

Some opinions seem to differ
    Honestly, the only "buggy" thing that happened to me with this mod is that I upgraded the firmware to 1.08. A day later, 1.09 came out and then 1.091 came out on the same day. 1.091 added stainless steel TC profile, and the option appeared in the smartphone app, but I couldn't push it to my mod (because it was still on 1.08). I would "upgrade", it showed upgrade was completed, but then exit out of the page and then re-enter it and it would show the upgrade as not done. It wasn't until I actually updated my firmware to 1.091 then the upgrade to add stainless steel actually "took".

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    And yet this happens all of the time with smartphones. I know both Samsung and Apple had released smartphone that needed a patch fix released the same day.

exactly my point .... this should not happen and can EASILY be avoided....... The rush to make $$$ is the main cause of it. I am not bashing Smok... I don't own any of their products.......They probably make fine products... But what I do know from being in electronics and programming for many years is these types of problems can totally be avoided by the manufacturer provided there is enough fault and beta testing performed and provided there is enough time in the development cycles. Problems creep in when the employers force programmers to create code in a certain allotted time. This can cause bugs and other overlooked things to get into the software. It's a shame that some companies do this.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread