Smok X Cube II voltage issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kindwick

Verified Member
Jul 18, 2015
Rochester, MN
soundcloud.com
I couldn't find a more relevant thread on this topic so i figured I would start one. I have been noticing recently that my X Cube II will not fire any higher than 6.6 volts. The device is rated up to 8 volts. I am running the most recent firmware update v1.093 and I have tried multiple atomizers with different resistances. Lower resistances are fine, since I am firing them around the 4-5 volt mark, but once I get into the .5-.6 ohm range, I can't get the device to fire higher than around 6.6 volts...is there something I am missing here?...or is this a more widespread issue that smok has not addressed yet? Any tips or advice would be much appreciated. I have enjoyed this device for the last 2 months, but I just noticed this issue today and it would be nice to get the full power this thing has to offer...especially since they just raised the max voltage to 180 watts.

Kindwick

Verified Member
Jul 18, 2015
Rochester, MN
soundcloud.com
Don't have this issue on mine so not widespread but try downgrading firmware just to rule that out if it is still present arrange a replacement.
Does anyone know where I can get a previous version of the X Cube II firmware? I couldn't find any previous versions on the smoktech website...

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Previous firmware versions did nothing. Someone mentioned to me that it might be my batteries? I use the IMREN 3.7v @3000mah x 2 for the X Cube II. I thought mod firmware would push the voltage, but it seems like there's a voltage drop like a mech mod would have...I am stumped...:(

You are aware Imren is a re-wrap (factory seconds) right?
You want to Test the waters - BUY Sony VTC4 if you can find them.

Darkest what coil are you trying to use?.
I've got a dual twisted 26ga kanthal build clicking on at .36ohms. It fires great on my Sig 150 but my x cube 2 won't go over 120(at max battery) . I use Samsung 25rs and sony vtc4s(authentic) all in married pairs.

In all my time vaping I haven't run into such an odd issue as this before. It's almost acting like it's a mech mod.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Certain wattages are only possible with certain builds so the mod may be limiting you as a safety measure I did see a chart somewhere and have looked but cannot find it now when I need it. I'll keep looking and if I do come across it I'll post it back here.

Mod range | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators
Current limit 20 A vs. 160 W
Voltage 8 V
Hits limit 8 V
Resistance 0.4 Ω
Hits lower R limit 0.01 Ω
Hits upper R limit 3 Ω
Voltage limit 8 V vs. 160 W
Current 20 A
Hits limit 20 A
Resistance 0.4 Ω
Hits lower R limit 0.01 Ω
Hits upper R limit 3 Ω
Optimal resistance
Resistance range for maximum power 160 W 0.4 – 0.4 Ω
Median resistance 0.4 Ω
Sweet spot 0.4 Ω
No range for max power. Consider decreasing the power (wattage), increasing the current or voltage, or widen the resistance range.

according to steam engine sweet spot is 0.4 ohms

amp limit 20 amps.

20amps x 20amps x 0.36ohms = 144 watts

Mod range | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

according to steam engine sweet spot is 0.4 ohms

amp limit 20 amps.

20amps x 20amps x 0.36ohms = 144 watts
Can't get it anywhere near 144W. The most I have had it actually running at was 120W. Then the same coil After vaping it a bit I couldnt get it over 100W. Its almost as if its acting like a mech. Very irritating issue. I think Im gonna try to RMA it with Elev8.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Can't get it anywhere near 144W. The most I have had it actually running at was 120W. Then the same coil After vaping it a bit I couldnt get it over 100W. Its almost as if its acting like a mech. Very irritating issue. I think Im gonna try to RMA it with Elev8.

If you read the comment at steam engine you might notice it mentions:
"No range for max power"
In order to get the max power you have to hit the ohms on the button at 0.40 ohms.
There is no *range* available for the sweet spot
0.39 or 0.41 is going to have a lower wattage available- about 4 watts per 0.01 ohm difference from 0.40 ohms
(you can see it on the graph: 160 watts over 0.4 ohm is a gradient of 400 watts per ohm which is equal to 4 watts per 0.01 ohms)
so that works out for 0.36 ohms being 0.04 ohms short of 0.40 ohms which means your max wattage for that ohms is 120 ohms.

If you read the comment at steam engine you might notice it mentions:
"No range for max power"
In order to get the max power you have to hit the ohms on the button at 0.40 ohms.
There is no *range* available for the sweet spot
0.39 or 0.41 is going to have a lower wattage available- about 4 watts per 0.01 ohm difference from 0.40 ohms
(you can see it on the graph: 160 watts over 0.4 ohm is a gradient of 400 watts per ohm which is equal to 4 watts per 0.01 ohms)
so that works out for 0.36 ohms being 0.04 ohms short of 0.40 ohms which means your max wattage for that ohms is 120 ohms.
That would make sense if it had a consistent output which it doesn't. If i set it to 140W it sometimes hits at 120 and other times hits at 98. Also, according to Steam Engine it would be impossible to EVER hit the max wattage on the device (180W) in which case it would make no sense at all to release a firmware upgrade allowing it. Thus I do not think that the Smok X Cube 2 adheres to a 20A limit(8V, 180W = 22.5A, .355Ohm coil).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread