So bottom line what is the best in your opinion? Cotton ball, yarn, candle wick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butters78

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Or maybe bamboo.

I'll be using it on my vivi nova rebuilds and phoenix maybe. Only thing that makes me a bit nervous is burning it unintentionally. I'm looking for the best for wicking, flavor, and vapor production.

Links and specifics would be awesome. Size, manufacturer etc.

IMWylde

ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2010
USA
I like Cotton Ball but it gunks up after about 4 days use. However i do just rinse it clean let it dry and re use so far I've had the same two coil wick's for about 3 months. Candle wick is good for lighter juices, (higher in pg) however it tends to not get quite as much juice to the coil as the cotton ball. I tried hemp. It Sucked.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
...... However i do just rinse it clean let it dry and re use so far I've had the same two coil wick's for about 3 months. ......

That's good to hear. So far, I've just been recoiling, but mostly because I've been trying different size wicks and different ohms. I've pretty well settled in on how I wrap them now so I'm going to try cleaning them in the future.

BuzzKilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2010
Etobicoke, Ontario
www.graindeep.etsy.com
for about $1.50... i just replace the head.
I'm in no way hating on the people that choose to rebuild, but i really don't see a point.

My opinion:
Get a cheapy rebuildable tank, and work on that. Leave the Vivi as a spare/back-up, for no-tinker use.
The rebuildable is purposely designed to be tinkered, and you get more room to have fun and experiment.

My honest :2c:

eHuman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
San Diego
My opinion:
Get a cheapy rebuildable tank, and work on that. Leave the Vivi as a spare/back-up, for no-tinker use.
The rebuildable is purposely designed to be tinkered, and you get more room to have fun and experiment.
The only benefit that a nova has over a real RBA (Correct me if i'm wrong) is that you can lay your PV/nova down and it will not leak.
Are there any (non break-the-bank) RBA's that you can lay down while atteached to your PV and not leak? If so i'm interested.

BuzzKilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2010
Etobicoke, Ontario
www.graindeep.etsy.com
never had a leak with my Mini DID Clone... and i think it cost me $20.
Browse around, many vendors have it.

Plus you get the bonus of having some air control... more tinkering ;)

and there is a metal tank option, to prevent pesky juices from cracking tanks... one of my Vivi's have failed for that reason.

i never tried it, but many have used it with bamboo and loved the performance of them with that setup... meh

shardina

Jul 24, 2012
Sioux City, IA
I'm still using silica on my A7, but it's vastly improved by laying a liiiitle bit of cotton ball over the top of the coil and down into the drip well (just tuck the ends between the posts and the air hole). Gunks up in a few days like cotton ball tends to do, but it's not threaded through the coil so it's a cinch to replace and it keeps the outside of the coil wet while the regular wick keeps the inside wet so it adds to the surface area covered in juice being vaporized. Killed my metallic taste issue dead and really amped up the flavor and amount of vapor. Just make sure it's a really thin layer of cotton ball - you need less than you initially think. The one down side is that I go through juice noticeably faster now.

cedric212

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
I use cotton batten or cotton ball (some prefer cheesecloth for better taste), don't worry about burning it as long as you keep it wet (1-2 dry hits before burnt taste). Here's how I do mine with cotton batten/cottonball:

To clean between fills:
Take out the head>wash and pull the wick out>dry with tissue>dry burn>take a pinch of cotton and roll into wick>slide wick into coil>done in ~30sec

To recoil:
Pull out the old wick/coil>wash>dry with tissue>wrap 4/5 coils of kanthal a1 #32 around 2mm screwdriver>place coil/screwdriver into the slits of VVN head>insert the grommet and pin>snip off the extra wires>slide a cotton wick into coil>done in ~1min

Instead of $1.50 to replace the head, you can do it for :2c:.

rem700

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2011
Mn
for about $1.50... i just replace the head.
I'm in no way hating on the people that choose to rebuild, but i really don't see a point.

My opinion:

Where can I get the heads for $1.50?

jazzbo

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2011
Orlando, Fl
I've been using Peaches and Creme Ecru 100% cotton (unbleached and un-dyed) medium yarn for T3s and my RBAs for awhile. No issues, wicks awesome and the juice flavors taste great. They seem to wick great in the T3 for about 4 days or so, which is when i'd typically dry-burn the coils anyway with silica wick. I made up a boatload of coils one night and just swap 'em out...pull the old cotton out of the old coil, clean the coil and thread a new piece of yarn in. Back in bidniz in a couple minutes.:toast:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread