So I use a 306 atty

Status
Not open for further replies.

vert1276

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2011
seattle
SO I have been using a 306 atty to do juice testing, instead of using a carto on something I might hate. The problem is sometimes its just hard to not get a flavor out of an atty(especially menthol). So I was thinking of de-bridging/wicking a 306 atty. You people out there who drip with a de-bridged/wicked atty do you find you have less flavor transfer? Can you just dry burn it to get a flavor out? I have de-bridged/wicked a 510 atty before for dripping but ended up never really using it much because the vapor was so dam hot....but I thinking I could deal with that for just trying out new juices. So in theory with no wick and no mesh it should not hold much of and old juice right? I should have much less flavor transfer with an atty with no wick or mesh right?

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
You may want to start with just de-wicking that 306 first and trying it like that, just my thoughts. As far as cleaning it menthol/cinnamon have to be the toughest ones to get out, maybe some mouthwash may help and some more cleaning after that with other techniques but in my experience it seems that an Atty is never the same as when newly used with a fresh new juice, broken in with it and vaped with that first and only juice, once you change juices or wash it I find its just never the same, again only my findings.

vert1276

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2011
seattle
ya I see what you guys are saying. And when I was a dripper I used to keep one atty dedicated for each juice I used so there would be no transfer. But for testing juices......I think I will just go back to testing them in a carto and throwing away the carto if I dont like the juice. A carto is like $1.25. And Atty is way more than that so If I still have to dedicate an atty to a juice its just not worth it to test a new juice that way IMO

crk0756

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2011
Hill Country, Texas
Just got my blondie in today from want2vape, loved the cigars, and decided to give their juice a try. With my order came a small sample of "atty" refresher... Gave it a whirl on a 306 atty that i vape Jersey Vapes absinthe on.... cleaned it up pretty good for just the few minutes that i soaked it.... Still a slight hint of the absinthe, but not a noticeable flavor when i tried some juicy peach on it....

want to quit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Germany/ Atlanta, GA
ok so now I am really confused and want to hear what in the world you guys are taking about.

So I love 306 attys but just started to use them recently. When they arrive in your mail they have this plastic tube over them which of course I ripped apart so now the atty looks like the avatar of chornbro.

View Profile: Chornbro - E-Cigarette Forum

Now my question is why would I de bridge or de wick the atty? would it increase the performance? should I do it with a new 306 atty? input would be great.

Secti0n31

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Shan B has a great video on how to de-bridge an atty. De-wicking is damn near impossible while the bridge is on there. The long and short of it is to use something flat and kinda sharp like a paint scraper or flat screwdriver to scrape the brillo type stuff off of the bridge, than grab some pliers or tweezers and (very very gently) rock the bridge back and forth until you can get it out. It also works on 510 and 901 attys, and if you don't use carts, you don't need a bridge or a wick.

want to quit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Germany/ Atlanta, GA
Ok so why would I want to de wick a 306 now? only to get old flavors out or does it also improve the performance if I de wick it? I am good on de bridging but the de wicking got me totally confused. I really hoped to never go "Mac giver" on my vaping stuff but this de wicking confuses me and I want to know why in the world I would want to take out the wick of my atty.

want to quit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Germany/ Atlanta, GA
Shan B has a great video on how to de-bridge an atty. De-wicking is damn near impossible while the bridge is on there. The long and short of it is to use something flat and kinda sharp like a paint scraper or flat screwdriver to scrape the brillo type stuff off of the bridge, than grab some pliers or tweezers and (very very gently) rock the bridge back and forth until you can get it out. It also works on 510 and 901 attys, and if you don't use carts, you don't need a bridge or a wick.

thanks man I think I found the de bridging video 5mins ago but I am still soooo confused on the de wicking. I thought the wicking is what produces the vapor in the first place but now since all of you talk about taking the wicking out then what is producing the vapor in the first place? Also performance wise why would I want to de wick my atty?

Secti0n31

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
The wick is used to hold juice while dripping or cart use so that you don't burn dry. If you change flavors on a regular basis though that wick will work against you. It will retain flavors like crazy, and hold a little bit of every flavor that you put into it. It takes a lot of effort to get the flavor out of it.

So if you use carts or a bottom feeder with only one main flavor, the wick is fine and won't really hurt you. If you're like me and put 2-3 flavors through an atty in one day, every day. The wick will turn into a cesspool of flavors and it's no fun.

Keep in mind the wick I'm talking about here is the little floss type deal under the bridge, and not the 3/16" deal that holds the atty's heating element.

want to quit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Germany/ Atlanta, GA
Alright thanks a lot for the detailed info. So if I use my reo I should be good but I also use a P-18 and run through a lot of different juices on the P-18 so I guess I need to go all Mac giver and give it a shot. Worst thing that could happen is that I break one but I guess its worth the risk. If the guy in the video does everything correct then I should be able to copy it. Once again thanks for taking your time and giving me a good answer that really helped. You would think after 3 month I understand it all but thats just a dream haha.

Secti0n31

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
I didnt know about it until a month ago, and I ALMOST broke an atty the first time. Trick is to be firm with the metal mesh and gentle with the bridge itself. Once you get the bridge out, the wick will come with it and you can use your needle nose or tweezers to gently pick off any leftover pieces of mesh. Then for good measure rinse the atty under hot water for a minute, shake it off, blow it out, let it dry and then you can drip it normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread