Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortstuff116

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Bellingham, MA
After reading another post, I put some baking soda inside my atty then poured in a little white vinegar. It foams up and does seem to clean the atty and the baking soda does neutralize the vinegar. After pouring in more vinegar (a few drops at a time) until the baking soda was gone I put in a few drops of lemon juice to help remove any residual flavors. Rinsed the atty under a steady stream of hot water, blew it out well, put in a few drops of juice and there was no aftertaste of either vinegar or lemon juice, just e-juice.

Can't hurt to try.

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Rubbing alcohol? Is that the same as hydrogen peroxide or is that something else? That was another one I was considering trying - hydrogen peroxide...

Rubbing alcohol is, obviously, an alcohol, but not the kind you can drink. There are two "flavors" of rubbing alcohol, both suitable for cleaning attys and such.

"Isopropyl alcohol" is poisonous to drink, since it metabolizes into acetone. There are warnings to use it only in well-ventilated places, but I've never had a problem with the fumes. When it dries, it leaves no residue. But make sure whatever you cleaned with it is totally dry!

"Denatured alcohol" is regular booze-alcohol (ethanol) that has had various other things added to it to make it undrinkable. Because of the denaturants, it carries the same warnings as isopropyl alcohol.

In my experience, both are equally effective. It seems that the 91% formulations work better than 70%, so take a look at the label before you purchase.

Hydrogen peroxide is H2O2, which is basically water with an extra oxygen atom. It's somewhat unstable, as it wants to shed that extra oxygen atom. You'll find it at the pharmacy usually in a 4% solution. It isn't very effective at cleaning really caked-on gradoo, but it's an oxidant and disinfectant. In high concentrations it's a rocket fuel. I don't find much use for it in vaping equipment maintenance.

Hope this helps.

Loveridden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
Schaumburg, IL
I have considered that.....it would have to be pretty cheap though, for one, if that's what I am using it for, and two, since I just don't have much money at the moment lol. Was hoping there was something I already had in the house I could use. Gonna give the vinegar a shot...

It's not that I don't drink, period, it's just, I really don't drink that often. I CAN drink, I don't have a problem with alcohol or anything like that.....though I know many people that do, I myself just choose not to drink as often as others do...

pyro13g

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2011
NE Ohio
So I'm in to overkill but I use hot water, then I mix some vinegar with hot water and soak the attys/cartos for a few hours. Then I rinse and soak them in Everclear overnight, I guess cheap vodka would do as well.

I've never had any issues with this combo and it seems to be a nice 1-2 punch.

But at least you started with hot water. The rest is probably overkill.

DrOckW

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2010
Colorado
Boiling led to some serious issues for me.

#1 I got weird flavors with boiling, no matter how filtered it just made my water react and I got bad results.

When I microwaved I scalded my face because the water superheated... a mistake you make once, I then proceeded to intentionally scratch the inside of my measuring cups.

I like soaking better, some would disagree. It's going to come down to personal preference. Be warned some of the plastic parts of an atty can leech a smell when overheated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread