Something nutty

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloudMutilator

Oct 1, 2016
I can't place it... toasted almonds? Cashew? I dunno.. another accident but I like how this one tastes.

30ml..
85% base (28 ml)
8.5 % strawberry (9 or 10 drops)
1.5 % Vanilla Berry Custard (2 drops)
2% Cotton Candy (4 drops)
3% Milk (6 drops)
drops are approximate, adjust to taste as always; should taste smooth and light like some fine quality nuts.

Heat soak for an hour.

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    30ml..
    85% base (28 ml)
    8.5 % strawberry (9 or 10 drops)
    1.5 % Vanilla Berry Custard (2 drops)
    2% Cotton Candy (4 drops)
    3% Milk (6 drops)
    drops are approximate, adjust to taste as always; should taste smooth and light like some fine quality nuts.
    Heat soak for an hour.

With all due respect, I think you need a new drop converter, although in this day an age I can't believe people would still use this method. Your last 2 ingredients you're using 2 drops for each %'s (which IMHO is super low, or you've got some massive drops). Your 1st ingredient is just over 1 drop per %, and your second is .75% per drop.

85% base in a 30ml container is 25.5ml, not 28ml.

I just checked over at Capella's.

No plain Strawberry, but either Sweet Strawberry, or Strawberry Taffy
    There's v1 or v2 Custard, and certainly no berry.
    And no Cotton Candy but there is a Blue Raspberry Cotton Candy.
    There's no milk, only a Milk Chocolate

If you want others to mix recipes the way you intend, you must give us proper names, or it's essentially useless to us.

You need a whole new electronic juice calculator, as these numbers now appear you just made them up out of your head.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    If you want others to mix recipes the way you intend, you must give us proper names, or it's essentially useless to us.
    That's not gonna happen. Re-read the OP's comment in post #4 again.
    i blended pre-mixed standalone flavors for this one and then converted it to a drop recipe.
    They just blended several "house" ready-to-vape blends together, assumed they were single flavors, and is calling these the "flavors." No way anyone would have a prayer of duplicating this recipe.

To @CloudMutilator: I don't mean to discourage your effort to share something, that you found enjoyable, with the rest of us. I actually appreciate you taking the time to do so. And I certainly don't want to dissuade you from developing your own personal style of DIY. There is no real right or wrong way as long as it works for you. But, it will only work if the other person, sitting behind another computer screen understands what you are actually doing.

As Big-vape says; it is important to communicate clearly and completely. First, because it's the polite thing to do, and second, because folks are going to get quickly tired of having to ask for clarification, or ending up with completely unvapable juice because the did what you said to do, and not what you actually did, and then they simply begin to ignore what you have to say.

It is perfectly fine to mix in a "little of this and a little of that" way if that is what works for you. There are lots of DIYers that do exactly that every day and are perfectly happy with their results. This is the right way for them. Just watch a good bartender free-pour the same amount time after time after time... it is truly amazing! But most of us can't do that. We need known measurable quantities of known ingredients if we are going to have a chance at being successful. And I assume you desire us to be successful or you wouldn't be wasting your time sharing it in the first place.

The last thing I want to suggest, if your goal is to create a recipe for sharing, is to not use "ready-to-vape" mixes as your "flavors." Using another cocktail comparison: it is much easier to communicate a recipe if I say "Use .75oz liquor A Brand1, .50oz liquor B Brand2, and 3oz. of mixer C Brand3. Shake w/ice and serve in a rocks glass." Instead of saying "take 1oz. of margarita, 1/2oz. tom collins, and 3/4oz. old fashioned, combine and top with cola." There has got to be at least 100 ways to mix each one of those individual cocktails so that only gives you a 1 in 1,000,000 chance of ending up with the same thing I did. It is a little easier if you are doing it with a national brand like say Halo that everyone has access to; but there is no chance when you are using a local brick and mortar's "home brew" unless they, then you, share each of those individual recipes first so we are all working with the same "ingredients" to begin with.

Best wishes on your DIY journey! :toast:

Reactions: ShamrockPat

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    They just blended several "house" ready-to-vape blends together, assumed they were single flavors, and is calling these the "flavors." No way anyone would have a prayer of duplicating this recipe.
    Internally I debated this in my head for quite a while. But assumed it was a super cool place where they had actual concentrates and a mix your own flavor bar. If you are correct (and probably are), then those single flavor mixes are already diluted with concentrate/pg/vg and probably no nic (around here anything to sample is always zero nic), so then it would make more sense that he actually started with drops and converted to %. I just can't see a person taking in an empty bottle with pipettes or a scale and an empty bottle to do any sort of a proper mix.

Like I've seen you post many times before, whatever works for a person, more power to them if it helps to keep them from smoking.

@CloudMutilator I do appreciate your imagination and creativity, 2 areas where I could certainly use more of each. My wife refuses to let me cook for her if she's not watching cuz she's scared of what I might throw in, and I have made some epic bad decisions according to her.

Reactions: IDJoel

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    But assumed it was a super cool place where they had actual concentrates and a mix your own flavor bar.
    I didn't even think about that possibility; we have nothing that cool around here. All "tasting bars" are just cartos prefilled with whatever juice lines are sold at the local B&M.
    then those single flavor mixes are already diluted with concentrate/pg/vg
    AND potentially other flavors. Almost certainly the "vanilla berry custard" was. I also question whether the "Milk" was actually Capella based; the only manufacturer I could find with milk flavor concentrates was Flavor West.
    whatever works for a person, more power to them if it helps to keep them from smoking.
    For me... that will always be the bottom line. Everything else is negotiable.
    I have made some epic bad decisions according to her.
    I howled out loud when I read this! I commiserate my friend!! ;)

CloudMutilator

Oct 1, 2016
    With all due respect, I think you need a new drop converter, although in this day an age I can't believe people would still use this method. Your last 2 ingredients you're using 2 drops for each %'s (which IMHO is super low, or you've got some massive drops). Your 1st ingredient is just over 1 drop per %, and your second is .75% per drop.

85% base in a 30ml container is 25.5ml, not 28ml.

I just checked over at Capella's.

No plain Strawberry, but either Sweet Strawberry, or Strawberry Taffy
    There's v1 or v2 Custard, and certainly no berry.
    And no Cotton Candy but there is a Blue Raspberry Cotton Candy.
    There's no milk, only a Milk Chocolate

You need a whole new electronic juice calculator, as these numbers now appear you just made them up out of your head.
    So, first of all, I'm not a juice recipe nazi and second of all, I'm REALLY good at math, so, YES, those numbers were right out of my head because if I put drops then someone whines and wants percents.. when I put percents, someone whines and wants drops, now I've gone to using both, but since I said these were APPROXIMATE measurements and that this recipe was an ACCIDENT, I'm not really sure exactly to the .0001% for you so that you can create it in it's exact perfectness, lol.. lighten up. we're experimenting here. I can't believe you would be so rude as to make demands of people who are sharing information.. You seem to have a good math head about you.. instead of trying to make people feel small, just use that enormous brain power of yours and correct it for your perfect notebook. It'll be wrong anyway. ;) As for the flavors, it seems that the vanilla berry custard is a combination of vanilla custard (a capella flavor) and harvest berries (another capella flavor) in equal proportions. The strawberry used was capella sweet strawberry and as for the milk, I'm not really sure.. probably TFA or maybe Flavor Art.. I'll ask. As for the cotton candy, upon closer inspection of my (kind of worn) bottle it does say blue raspberry cotton candy, but that's what I've been using for 'cotton candy' in all my recipes as I didn't notice the fine print.. darn my eyes. I hope that helps.. In the future, try to understand that some of us are newbs in here, although we may not all sound like it... We'll get there.. By the way, my juice calculator is in my head, and it's the only one I'm going to use, because it's the system I'm accustomed to. :) If I see a recipe and they call for so many mls of this and that, and they're making a 30 mil bottle, maybe I don't want that much for a sample.. maybe I hate it and I don't want to waste 25 mils of juice so I want to break it down and convert it to a 10 or even a 5ml recipe and I have to go leavening the ingredients in a reasonable, culinary fashion, so the measurements get exponentially out of whack otherwise the ingredients I know to be strong will overpower the others and give a bad example of the recipe. I am a chef, but not an expert e-liquid maker.. but I'll get there too. :)

CloudMutilator

Oct 1, 2016
    That's not gonna happen. Re-read the OP's comment in post #4 again.

To @CloudMutilator: I don't mean to discourage your effort to share something, that you found enjoyable, with the rest of us. I actually appreciate you taking the time to do so. And I certainly don't want to dissuade you from developing your own personal style of DIY. There is no real right or wrong way as long as it works for you. But, it will only work if the other person, sitting behind another computer screen understands what you are actually doing.

to mix each one of those individual cocktails so that only gives you a 1 in 1,000,000 chance of ending up with the same thing I did. It is a little easier if you are doing it with a national brand like say Halo that everyone has access to; but there is no chance when you are using a local brick and mortar's "home brew" unless they, then you, share each of those individual recipes first so we are all working with the same "ingredients" to begin with.

Best wishes on your DIY journey! :toast:
    Right.. I know that.. but I mean.. all these recipes say they taste like this and they taste like that but I mix them EXACTLY how the recipe says, using the EXACT ingredients in the EXACT same amounts and most of it's crap.. no offense to those out there who have worked long and hard to make an original flavor or to try to clone a good one already out there... I know it's hard... and nothing I've tried works. However, when I go outside the box, look at their recipe, think about the flavors and how they mingle and try to imagine what's wrong or what's missing and I make it again using this instead of that and it turns out better to my tastes. One of the only ones that I've seen that is really really close is the Space Jam Andromeda clone.. that one's pretty close. Too bad I don't like Andromeda.. I made it to see if it would work and it did but meh.. I like astro much better.. that's green apple, strawberry and peach.. not sure on the amounts of each tho yet. The Heisenberg recipe floating around is crap too.. I've made one that I like, but I've never tried Heisenberg so I don't know how close I've come.. Everyone says it's supposed to taste like a blue raspberry slushie.. mine tastes like that, with a hint of blue heisenberg .... in it.. Stellar!. Look for the recipe in the recipe list.. I'm posting it now.

As for my 'experiments' I'm just putting them out here with a description of how they taste, so that if someone's taste buds are piqued then they might try to copy the recipe and get something close. If I've got something exacting, I'll list it as exactly this many drops in this much vg/pg with exactly how much steep time and all that... and exact flavor names and brands so that it can be duplicated exactingly.. these others, if the measurements don't look right, they're not.. just wing it. :)

CloudMutilator

Oct 1, 2016
    Internally I debated this in my head for quite a while. But assumed it was a super cool place where they had actual concentrates and a mix your own flavor bar. If you are correct (and probably are), then those single flavor mixes are already diluted with concentrate/pg/vg and probably no nic (around here anything to sample is always zero nic), so then it would make more sense that he actually started with drops and converted to %. I just can't see a person taking in an empty bottle with pipettes or a scale and an empty bottle to do any sort of a proper mix.

Like I've seen you post many times before, whatever works for a person, more power to them if it helps to keep them from smoking.

@CloudMutilator I do appreciate your imagination and creativity, 2 areas where I could certainly use more of each. My wife refuses to let me cook for her if she's not watching cuz she's scared of what I might throw in, and I have made some epic bad decisions according to her.
    Lol.. I love the cooking comments.. that's priceless.. I do all the cooking in the house.. the wife refuses.. so I have a good taste for blending flavors as it is.. this e-juice thing tho.. whole different ballpark because of the different chemical makeups of the flavors themselves.. One flavor is good at one drop per 10ml and another takes 10 drops per 10ml so it can get frustrating to be sure.

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    Glad you got that off your chest. Whatever method(s) you use, so long as it works for you, more power to you. Vape on!! :)

There are some really excellent blogs here that you/we can all learn from. I certainly have. I've been mixing for just over a year and still consider myself a noob.
    These user-id's I could swear have blogs, but could only find one, anyway, they're very respected. :banana:
    "Bill's Magic Vapor", "Hoosier", and a few others but their ID's escape me at the moment.

.... so the measurements get exponentially out of whack
    If you use the e-liquid-recipes site, it will allow you to change up the quanity and bring all the measurements down appropriately. The best part, it show DROPS, mil's, and %'s.
    astro much better.. that's green apple, strawberry and peach
    Now this sounds amazing.

Hopefully we'll all get there ;)

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    Found it. This user @dannyv45 is also very helpful and usually posts this info. This is a copy of one of his posts.

Here is some light reading for ya on DYI.

My blogs will give insight into all aspects of DYI, from steeping to what supplies to have on hand to a basic walk through mixing your first E-juice.

E-Cigarette Forum - dannyv45 - Blogs

Then read hoosier's blogs. These blogs concentrate on fine tuning your mix and give insight on additives.

E-Cigarette Forum - Hoosier - Blogs

Then read Boletus's blog's. These blogs concentrate on formulation of nicotine bases regarding proper calculations methods for figuring Nicotine concentration as well as safety.

E-Cigarette Forum - Boletus - Blogs

Then read Ginger's book "E-Cigarettes 102: DIY E-Liquid". It is a book which I've contributed to that delivers an in depth easy to follow guide in the art of DYI.

E-Cigarettes 102: DIY E-Liquid

I recommend viewing VPLive Vape Team Episode #82: DIY Safety and bookmark it for future reference. It explains safety in all aspects of DYI.

VPLive Vape Team Episode #82: DIY Safety

then read the stickies at the top of the page.

this will explain a lot of the how's and why's.

Reactions: IDJoel

CloudMutilator

Oct 1, 2016
    Why? It's unrepeatable
    It's not unrepeatable if you have the same flavors and you mix it the way I did.. use drops instead of percentages. Use a standard syringe for 8.5 mils or whatever and you'll have it close enough to count. Don't be a douche and demand exacting.. even if I gave you exacting measurements there's a 10 percent chance you'll get it wrong anyway and it'll only be 98%.. is that 'unrepeatable'? Then NOTHING in here is repeatable.. stop trolling, please.

Reactions: Kenna
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread