Sony 18650 VTC4 2000mAh 30A Battery life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamie0516

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2014
United States
I'm sure this has been asked but I can't find it. How long should the Sony 18650 VTC4 2000mAh 30A Battery last vaping dual coil at .7 ohms? I haven't found the ohms I prefer yet so I'm definitely up to trying different ohms to get a longer battery life. My battery last 3-4 hours max and I've read somewhere these batteries typically last most of the day. How can I get a longer battery life out of this batt? Also I was Wondering if anyone charges their batteries unsupervised? I haven't yet but it would be nice to be able to. I have the intellicharger i2

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
1. My battery last 3-4 hours max and I've read somewhere these batteries typically last most of the day. How can I get a longer battery life out of this batt?

2. Also I was Wondering if anyone charges their batteries unsupervised? I haven't yet but it would be nice to be able to. I have the intellicharger i2
1. Because use is subjective, one must have a 'constant' to work with... and that constant is "continuous run time", expressed in minutes.
The Sony 2000mAh / 30A VTC4 (with a calculated 15 'C' rate) will have an 18 minute approximate continuous run time - calculated using your stated 0.7Ω 'net' resistance (two 1.4Ω coils fit in parallel) current drain.

Now, unless you are a seriously bizarre individual, you don't vape for 18 continuous minutes... so lets break it down into the number of draws. A bit over 200 five second draws, or 100 ten second draws.
If you want to express that a different way... 3 hours = 180 minutes. If you were taking 5 second draws, that'd be a draw frequency of more than one for every minute of your 3 hours.

2. I do... but I use only two brands of batteries, both if which, based on discharge/charge voltage testing, I've good familiarity with, sufficient that I don't fell the need to hover over them, anticipating a worst case scenario.
The Nitecore Intellicharger, although modestly priced, is a very popular and good quality charger. If you're paranoid... buy one of the battery charging safety bags on the market.

Cheers

dirty_luck

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2014
somewhere in the south
. If you're paranoid... buy one of the battery charging safety bags on the market.

Cheers

wouldn't using a charger bag with an i2 or an i4 very possibly lead to an overheating situation of the charger due to cutting off the air circulation through and around the vents on the unit leading to build up of heat in the bag and more potential problems than it's worth?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
wouldn't using a charger bag with an i2 or an i4 very possibly lead to an overheating situation of the charger due to cutting off the air circulation through and around the vents on the unit leading to build up of heat in the bag and more potential problems than it's worth?
Good point. And that is exactly why it is controversial whether to use these bags for e-cig external battery chargers.

The bags were originally designed for use with LiPo batteries, used in remote control cars, etc. These chargers for these batteries are used outside of the bag while the batteries themselves are placed inside the bag to contain any potential fire. Our application is different than theirs.

I personally charge my batteries on a flame-resistant surface. Stove top, marble countertop, metal pan, or pyrex dish.

Last edited:

Kevio

Feb 24, 2013
Waco, TX
....How can I get a longer battery life out of this batt? Also I was Wondering if anyone charges their batteries unsupervised? I haven't yet but it would be nice to be able to. I have the intellicharger i2.

Well the most obvious way to get more time out of your batteries is to up your resistance from the 0.7 Ohms. Everyone is different, so finding your personal sweet spot takes a little bit of time. Personally, all of my builds fluctuate around 0.22 - 0.35 Ohms. (Parallel Coils).

You're never supposed to leave batteries charging unattended or overnight, but as it was already said, with a Nitecore charger and quality batteries, you definitely shouldn't have to hover over your batts the entire time they charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread