Williamsport Md
Reactions: EscobaMOD

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
Anyone know where these VTCs are coming from these days? Sony has said that they stopped producing them awhile ago, is someone else manufacturing them to the same spec or are these old stock? Sony just making stuff up?

I got a pair in from eciggity and they look legit, lasting a long time in my SX mini and showing less voltage sag under load than both my Samsung 25Rs and Purple Efests.

I was honestly half expecting them to be fake or something, but I guess these little hulks are back from the dead!

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
2015 batteries.

Actually, someone said Sony Said and someone else Said Sony Said and even Sony made more that now comment in different directions.

Indication was, the battery was never intended for Retail.
Sony was relocating their Production Facility.

Very Few companies actually produce batteries.
The market is Ripe with high demand cordless performance products.
Does Sony really just want ditch their invvestment and hand another company the sales?

Anyway, with shelf life of batteries reaching 10yrs., exactly what is old stock?

Reactions: UncleChuck

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    @UncleChuck, the VTC5's that were donated to me for testing by Liion Wholesale were 2015 manufacture so somebody has to be chugging them out. :)

@crxess, lithium cells can last a while on the shelf but they do need to be topped off each year or so. Their capacity drops and internal resistance rises as time goes on too. Haven't seen any studies that indicate just how long you can store a cell before it's affected some amount or another. AA alkalines seem to have an eternal shelf life these days though!

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    @UncleChuck, the VTC5's that were donated to me for testing by Liion Wholesale were 2015 manufacture so somebody has to be chugging them out. :)

@crxess, lithium cells can last a while on the shelf but they do need to be topped off each year or so. Their capacity drops and internal resistance rises as time goes on too. Haven't seen any studies that indicate just how long you can store a cell before it's affected some amount or another. AA alkalines seem to have an eternal shelf life these days though!

Agreed. I believe this is why so many are well below storage charge when first received. Minimal initial test charge means lower internal activity.

Brand name batteries in retail packaging at least offer seller expiration dates. Just check Ebay for all the recently expired bargains.:lol:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    $20 + shipping for a pair? I think I'll stick to my LGs and Samsungs.

I have 6 Samsung 25R's. Great batteries - Not the same.
    Then again, it is all about purpose and perception.

This is why we have Mopeds, concept cars and everything in between.:D

Worth mentioning - Even our favorite China Connection is as expensive and the wait would be much longer.
    $10.38 US18650VTC5 3.6V "2600"mAh Rechargeable Li-ion Battery - actual capacity 2531.3mAh / 30A discharge current at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Last edited:
    Reactions: GrandSam

GrandSam

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 12, 2013
    Oceanside, CA, USA
    I have 6 Samsung 25R's. Great batteries - Not the same.
    Then again, it is all about purpose and perception.

This is why we have Mopeds, concept cars and everything in between.:D

Worth mentioning - Even our favorite China Connection is as expensive and the wait would be much longer.
    $10.38 US18650VTC5 3.6V "2600"mAh Rechargeable Li-ion Battery - actual capacity 2531.3mAh / 30A discharge current at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Very true! I still don't understand what all the hype is about. I probably get a few extra minutes worth of battery life from my VTC5s, compared to my HE2s and HE4s. Then again, I've been vaping exclusively on TC devices, so it doesn't affect me as much :thumbs:.

SleeZy

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 3, 2014
    Sweden
    Hmmm...that's tough...one battery for $11...

Cheap in my eyes. ^^
    In sweden 1 authentic vtc4 (or so they claim) cost 17.5$ ...

I'm abit thorn on where to buy batteries and which ones to get next. My 1 year old batteries still holds up fine, but looking to restock some more just incase.
    And i would love vtc4/5s but after all the talk about clones etc, i dunno...

Might give another brand a go this time around.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 19, 2010
    New York

There's good info at the link below, and a storage graph, but it's only for a 1 year storage.

BU-702: How to Store Batteries – Battery University

caboog78

ECF Veteran
    Apr 4, 2015
    Northwest, USA
    imrbatteries has them in stock. Listed as 20 A nominal/30 A max for some reason though. I'm guessing they are the same 30A VTC5 everybody raves about, but somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Sony VTC5 18650 2600mAh 20A Flat Top Battery - IMRbatteries.com

Edit: See Mooch's post from below about them, they are 20A batteries.

Last edited:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Reactions: caboog78

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    I'll stick with my Samsungs, but thank you sir.

I3ecHQu.gif

Reactions: caboog78
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread