Sony VTC5 with a small tear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svet

Mar 17, 2016
Berlin
Hi everyone,

I just got a Sony VTC5 battery from a vendor in Germany called Dampfplanet.de.
Now this is the second VTC5 I've bought from them and the first seems to be performing fine, but this one has a very small tear of the green cover right at the very top (unfortunately cannot be seen from the picture due to focus issues).

I'm a bit concerned about using it and about buying VTC5 in general, because most websites show them as sold out for a while and as far as I know they've stopped production for normal consumers.

Could you please advise if I can still use it and if not which battery can I use for my vaporesso Target 75 VTC? It says the suggested battery is 30A and above, but I vape with the kanthal coil only (0.8 ohms) so I'm not really going to vape anything under 0.5 Ohm.

P.S: I also have a LG HG2 that came with the Sony VTC5 from the same vendor. It seems to be undamaged.

Attachments

• Sony vtc tear.jpg
    Sony vtc tear.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Sony vtc 5 2.jpg
    Sony vtc 5 2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 71

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The insulator wrap that is torn can be re-wrapped. Kits can be found online. It's best not to use a battery with a torn insulating wrap, as this could hard short the battery (a bad thing). Rewrapping a battery

Any of the below 18650 batteries are recommended by our resident battery expert, Mooch. I personally use the LG HG2 3000mah 20 amps in my regulated mod.

battery-chart-jpg.536518

18650 Battery Safety Grades -- Picking a Safe Cell to Vape With

Last edited:

Svet

Mar 17, 2016
Berlin
Thank you, Baditude! :)

I've read quite a few of his threads and his battery safety guides which is why I won't be using the ripped VTC5.

I was actually aiming for the 20A batteries since they have a greater charge and I don't do 0.15 Ohm so it shouldn't overheat it. I'll stick to my LG HG2 for now and look into some Samsung ones. :)

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Please note that the vtc5 is a 20 amp battery, not 30 amp. Also, on a regulated mod resistance doesn't affect amp draw, watts do. The formula is:

Watts (+10% to account for device inefficiency) / device cutoff voltage (because the amp drain is highest then) = amps

So, on a single-battery mod around 58w is the maximum.

64 / 3.2 = 19.93 amps

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Svet

Mar 17, 2016
Berlin
Please note that the vtc5 is a 20 amp battery, not 30 amp. Also, on a regulated mod resistance doesn't affect amp draw, watts do. The formula is:

Watts (+10% to account for device inefficiency) / device cutoff voltage (because the amp drain is highest then) = amps

So, on a single-battery mod around 58w is the maximum.

64 / 3.2 = 19.93 amps

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Thanks, KenD! My mistake :p

However I usually vape around 20-35 watts so the 20 amp batteries should do fine even if I get a little edgy and bump it up to 40w.

After sleeping on it, I decided I won't be using the ripped Sony VTC5 and I'll need to do some research on the vendors in Germany / Europe.

Reactions: Kenna

sig-cmt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2015
HoustΩn, TX
If the VTC5 is performing fine, why not just rewrap it? I always rewrap my cells before actual use, with possibly the future exception of the LG HD2 as my set of four (Ilumn) were wrapped with heavier PET/PVC stock around a noticeably thicker insulator.

HG2 | 30Q | HD2 | HB4 | HB6 | 25R5 | VTC4 | VTC5 - Not Including Cells Currently In Use
rewrapped_18650_batteries.jpg

Last edited:

Svet

Mar 17, 2016
Berlin
@sig-cmt Your picture looks incredibly satisfying... :D I will contact the vendor first and see if they will send me a replacement, because it is bought brand new. I just saw a video on youtube about rewrapping batteries and it does seems fairly straightforward so I'll give it a go in the near future.

@USMCotaku I think the LG HG2 might be better suited as well. I don't vape over 35 watts so I don't really need a battery that can sustain a 30A current. In any case I'll probably stock up on both and maybe a couple of 30A batteries just in case I change my mind about the wattage. :)

Reactions: Kenna

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com

sig-cmt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2015
HoustΩn, TX
...do you think a heat gun like this one will work to re-wrap the batteries?
That will work just fine. I have rewrapped hundreds of cells over the years. Yes, hundreds. 0.08mm wraps should be shrinked at ~80°C. Deviate too high and you risk thinning the wrapper. Deviate too low and you risk a loose fit. Manipulate the cell and not the heat gun. One smooth, continuous motion. Done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread