Sony Warns: Using the Sony Li-ion battery in eCigarettes and Vape Pens is not advisable

Status
Not open for further replies.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
I just received an email from Amazon stating some Kaster 18650's I ordered should not be used for e-cigs.

IMG_20180914_091322.jpg

Basically they are what show up in searches listed as Panasonic or Sony.
20 amp steady with 35amp capable pulses.

At first my thought was "what are you talking about I haven't ordered any.... wait they must mean those cells I bought in 2016"....

A Maglite mod back in the day used free flowing strips of metal and a high current switch for a light bulb from a seriously bright, super tough light bulb from a Pelican brand fireman's light. The project was named "Roar of the Pelican" as depending on battery used it could put out as many as 3000 lumens from a 2C cell Maglite. Mine is a 1300 lumen version.

Anyway, it was worth noting here not to use your Kaster batteries in an e-cig.

Btw: Mooch rules!!

Last edited:

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
I watched the Mooch video and learned my Kasters are "re-wraps" and that "re-wrap" makers often exagerated ratings. Kinda makes me not even want to use them in that flashlight now.

Anyway, I also learned that there are 4 battery makers and my purple cells are re-wraps too.

Now the vape shops I haunt advise and educate. But the online places.... well if you hit the 'pay now' button and everything works out.... and you have some batteries you'd been using already, potentially not up to the challenge of your new toodle puffer or cloud beast....

This thread opened my eyes. No way I'm going to be puffing on a non regulated mech.... not unless it plugs to a wall outlet.

Reactions: AstroTurf

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
This thread opened my eyes. No way I'm going to be puffing on a non regulated mech....
I feel pretty much the same way. I started serious vaping with a couple of mech mods in 2012, and had a battery explode in one of them because of a careless user error. The prominent fire button got continuously compressed to overdischarge the battery and it went into thermal runaway. That incident prompted me to educate myself on the batteries that we use when vaping.

For the next few years I continued to use both mechanicals and regulated mods, but for the last couple of years I have shelved my mechs in favor of using my regulated mods exclusively. Partly because of the protected circuitry that a regulated mod offers, but also because a regulated mod allows me to adjust my vaping experience "on the fly", which I frequently do.

Last edited:

V8Maverick

Apr 19, 2018
I don't trust regulated mods either, I had both an iJoy captain and a Smok Treebox plus fail by way of going into meltdown. Neither were being used at the time. The iJoy was in another room and the smell of the cotton turning to carbon and the drip tip melting and falling down into the rda itself alerted me. Thankfully the circuitry failed before the batteries went into thermal runaway. The treebox was on my person, so when it suddenly fired of its own accord, I was able to react quick and whip the batteries out.

V8Maverick

Apr 19, 2018
I don't trust iJoy or Smok mods either, but I do trust regulated DNA mods. :)
One year Smok free. Mass-produced cheap crap and the tank piss juice out at every opportunity as well. I must've lost hundreds of ml of juice. There's a reason Smok turn out a new device every three months. So you keep 'upgrading' before your mod dies a sudden and horrible death due to its' cheap ....ty construction.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
I don't trust regulated mods either, I had both an iJoy captain and a Smok Treebox plus fail by way of going into meltdown. Neither were being used at the time. The iJoy was in another room and the smell of the cotton turning to carbon and the drip tip melting and falling down into the rda itself alerted me. Thankfully the circuitry failed before the batteries went into thermal runaway. The treebox was on my person, so when it suddenly fired of its own accord, I was able to react quick and whip the batteries out.
I prefer regulated mods or unregulated mechs, but honestly, I don't leave unused mods sitting with batteries in them.

I don't have a ton of mods in rotation at the same time, usually just a few. I don't leave anything sitting around with batteries in it unless I'm actively using it. It doesn't take long to pop a battery in/out.

I had an IPV Mini go south on me one night while sleeping. The RTA leaked and shorted something out on the board while I was sleeping. I woke up to it firing and quickly removed the battery.

I do leave batteries in my night mod still in case I need a vape when I wake up during the night, but anything with batteries in it are either on my person or with me at night.

I'm pretty anti internal battery mods these days too. The only one I currently have is my Simple Ex. Of course, that excludes the few pods systems I own.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I hate Ijoy stuff, probably more than Smok stuff. I have never seen worse construction to be honest. I won TWO of them and gifted them immediately and never entered a Ijoy competition again. I won a smok stick which I ALSO ultimately gifted but like, I found the construction to be about 200% better which says a lot about my "love" for Ijoy.

Anna

Robin Becker

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2018
Berlin
I hate Ijoy stuff, probably more than Smok stuff. I have never seen worse construction to be honest. I won TWO of them and gifted them immediately and never entered a Ijoy competition again. I won a smok stick which I ALSO ultimately gifted but like, I found the construction to be about 200% better which says a lot about my "love" for Ijoy.

Anna

Maybe they should think about a new name for the company: NoJoy :w00t:

Reactions: AstroTurf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread