Sore tongue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracy68

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2011
Australia
Hi, I've been vaping now for ten days and all of a sudden my tongue is protesting. I've had this in the past - it's a weird thing called geographic tongue. Anyone else ever had it? To be honest my tongue looks awful! I'm guessing that this might be a stress reaction to quitting smoking? I hope it's just that and not a reaction to vaping :( I did read though that getting a 'sore tongue" can be a withdrawal symptom of quitting smoking. This confuses me though....I have quit smoking but not really.......I mean I'm still using nicotine.
Has anyone had a reaction like this? I'm trying to drink more water and vape a little less in the hopes that this is just a temporary thing and will settle down after a few more days.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Hi and welcome to ecf. Yes, I think it is possible and due to withdrawl...even tho you are not withdrawling from the nic, there are 4000 other chemicals that your body was used to.....and for all intents and purposes you have quit smoking....smoking is defined as 'burning tobacco'. ecigs do not burn.
We put our bodies thru a lot when we smoked....it just needs time to heal.
good luck
:)

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
I am a sore tongue survivor. What strength nicotine are you vaping and is it 100% PG juice (or prefilled carts are usually 100% PG)? I used to get a bad sore numb tongue from 18mg in 100% PG. It would feel similar to after I've scalded my tongue on way-too-hot cocoa.

Nicotine is a skin irritant. Medium or high nicotine in 100% PG can make your tongue, throat or even lungs sore. If you are using extra high nicotine (like over 24mg) then I suggest using less, and if you are using 100% PG juice then buy some decent US juices and I recommend at least 30% VG in the base (i.e. 70pg/30vg)

Last edited:

Tracy68

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2011
Australia
Hi, I'm using 18 mg of nic with 80 vg /20 pg being the percentage roughly.... I'm waiting on some 24 mg nic juice to come in because I feel like I'm almost chain vaping to try and keep the cravings under control. Don't know whether I'm vaping too much (and this is affecting my tongue) or if I use a higher percentage of nicotine if that will help me to vape less or whether the increased nicotine will just aggravate my tongue more. But, it could just be my whole system chucking a fit because all those OTHER nasties in cigarettes have been suddenly withdrawn from my system. Who knows?

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
What kind of ecig? If you are using EGo or Riva and LR atty or LR cartos, try standard resistance atty or cartos.

So your current juice is mostly VG? Is it Avejuice by chance? I think they have something spicy hot in at least one of those to get the good TH with VG. Whatever is in Boba's Bounty would leave a lasting burn for me. Other than that I am clueless because 30% VG plus sipping at liquids frequently was enough for my tongue to stop getting sore.

Re cravings - first 2 months I could not vape foody/fruity juices alone because I could not stop. It had to be a good tobacco jucie with an aroma that left me feeling satisfied like I had smoked. And are you smelling the vapor? You need to smell it.

The first juice to fully satisfy me was Backwoods Brew Casablanca, a complex Turkish blend. And I also enjoyed FreedomSMokeUSA Desert Ship, a stronger Turkish Blend. Turkish blends are a bit nutty and a bit pungent and remind many of the smell of a freshly opened pack. I also add FreedomSMokeUSA Cocoa to many tobaccos in the cart or carto because every cig brand I have ever liked has cocoa in it (Marlboros, Parliaments, Capris etc)

Last edited:

Tracy68

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2011
Australia
I'm using the ego T and I presume it's a standard atomizer? (Still learning about all the bits :) ) The juice we get is from here in Australia. It's not Avejuice. I was a menthol smoker so at first I was vaping menthol but it was TOO menthol for me....seemed to dry my throat out too much so I switched to strawberry. My husband has a tobacco flavour here but neither of us like it. I'm not really fussed about the actual flavour itself. I just want the nicotine, lol!
When we moved interstate a few years ago I had a similar thing happen to my tongue and I'm positive it was a stress reaction to the whole move (I got really depressed) Now whether or not I was smoking myself silly and drinking too much alcohol at the time (given that up now too) and THOSE things were an irritant to my tongue or whether it was just simply being so stressed I don't know. My body seems to react and things come out physically very easily whenever I'm anxious or stressed so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what's happening now. Funny thing is I feel very positive. I'm so glad to not be feeling the guilt of being a "smoker". That in itself I'm sure was making me sick! I really really want this to work for me!

betawind

Apr 26, 2011
Apartment
Hi and welcome to ecf. Yes, I think it is possible and due to withdrawl...even tho you are not withdrawling from the nic, there are 4000 other chemicals that your body was used to.....and for all intents and purposes you have quit smoking....smoking is defined as 'burning tobacco'. ecigs do not burn.
We put our bodies thru a lot when we smoked....it just needs time to heal.
good luck
:)

I had never thought of the other chemicals when it came to the addiction...but it makes perfect sense. Thanks for sharing/clarifying this :)

Tracy68

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2011
Australia
Hi, yes I'm trying to drink a lot more than I have been as I know vaping can dry you out but perhaps I need even MORE fluids. I've been drinking lemon juice and honey in warm water too. In the past this seemed to help with the geographic tongue for some reason.
I just read a whole thread about people having problems with VG. Read something about it irritating the lungs (I do feel a little tight/heavy in my chest at times) I wonder if it could be the VG perhaps irritating both my mouth and chest ? Maybe I need to experiment a little and see what happens.

Tracy68

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2011
Australia
Yeah, that's what I thought, until I started reading the thread about shortness of breath and was surprised to see quite a few people who were convinced that it was the VG causing them problems.
I honestly don't know. Clutching at straws here and doing a lot of guessing :) .
It can't be the nicotine irritating my mouth and tongue because I'm only vaping 18 mg and from what I understand you get far less nicotine than you do through cigarettes. It's either got to be my body having a stress attack or something irritating that's causing this flare up. Oh well.....I'm hoping that all this extra water I'm drinking will do something to relieve it. Maybe I'll buy some sort of mouth gargle stuff tomorrow and try that.

Tracy68

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2011
Australia
Just a quick update - hope it helps with anyone experiencing sore tongue issues.
All is much better now due to drinking a whole lot more water and to rinsing my tongue with olive oil a few times. Sounds gross but I found a thread here on this site about oil pulling? Thought I'd give it a go just for my tongues sake and it was almost like instant relief! So, I think the trick is to really keep hydrated and avoid juices, like orange juice. Plain old water is the secret!

zizzlak

May 23, 2010
TX
I've had that happen to me too a couple times. Usually it was when the blue foam I was using needed to be replaced or was running dry. I've also had it happen using Everclear to cut my DIY juice. The most recent time is when I used a cartomizer that had a rubber tip. That seemed to concentrate the vapor directly on my tongue which it didn't like apparently lol. All those situations were easily remedied though, thankfully. Hope it clears up for you. I am sure it will because like you and others mentioned, a change in routine sometimes causes the body to react in odd ways.

Tracy68

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2011
Australia
Strangely enough most of those symptoms you mentioned Dormouse are all things I experienced whilst smoking cigarettes - especially on days I smoked too much. I've been a bit paranoid about the nicotine because obviously my body is very sensitive to it. So far so good on 18 mgs. Don't think I'll attempt to go any higher than this even though I do still have the odd craving feeling. Hopefully my body will just adjust to the new levels which I'm positive are WAY lower than what I was used to.

evilfrog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
portland OR
It might seem lower now, but it can be tricky with these PV's. I upped mine at the start from 16 to 18 to 24, and then had to back down to 15 a month later. The higher nic can get you over the hump of the cravings, but after those die down you may want to lower it.
I had a bunch of minor health issues with the PV in the first two weeks (sore throat, lip damage from nic juice), but they all went away fairly quickly. I hope you are just as fortunate!

Tracy68

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2011
Australia
I hope so too Evilfrog. If all I get is this tongue thing I reckon I'll be doing well. It's still a huge physical adjustment thing I'm sure, even though we're still getting nicotine.
I don't really understand exactly everything that is in cigarettes or how exactly they work on the body but I'm sure there must be other things in them that are if not addictive, at least were what our bodies were accustomed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread