Status
Not open for further replies.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Does the material of the switch spring matter in a mech mod. I mean, the actual connection is made through the pin and the spring is just a spring, or am I wrong. I'm asking because I just got some 24 AWG kanthal that I realized is too thick to build functional coils of and thought I could instead use it to make an assortment of springs. Just worried that the resistance might increase the voltage drop, or something. If the spring material matters, what should I be using when making springs?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Richard75

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Pennsylvania
Does the material of the switch spring matter in a mech mod. I mean, the actual connection is made through the pin and the spring is just a spring, or am I wrong. I'm asking because I just got some 24 AWG kanthal that I realized is too thick to build functional coils of and thought I could instead use it to make an assortment of springs. Just worried that the resistance might increase the voltage drop, or something. If the spring material matters, what should I be using when making springs?

Making a spring out of Kanthal is totally possible, but a big no no! The spring on most mechs technically connects the button itself to the body of the mod, so it is part of the circuit. If you stick a Kanthal spring in there, electricity is going to flow through it... and heat it up just like it would on your atomizer.

If you want to make a spring, stick with brass, copper, or steel.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
Have you been torching it before using? That will take a decent amount of the springiness out of it.

All torching isn't created equal too. What you want is a long, slow cool down of the wire to make it as soft as possible. Starting at one end with a proper torch, very slowly "drag" the glowing portion down the length of the wire. Slow enough it takes a full minute or so to torch your wire.

With thinner stuff how you torch isn't quite as important, but with stuff as thick as 24 it greatly benefits from a long slow torching. Takes a huge part of the spring away.

Although I'd still be a bit worried about using 24g simply due to how low the resistance would be.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I torch everything (mostly kanthal, not everything else in my vicinity). I pretty much only do micro coils, and I thought that 24 awg would let me do more wraps at the ohms I'm aiming for. No lower than 0.8, but I still wanted to do 9/8 wraps. I'll be sticking to 26 and 28 awg from now on (perhaps use the 24 for the next generation tin foil hat I've been working on).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread