SS Mesh Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodInk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2013
Whiteman AFB, MO
OK, this is my problem, I keep getting a short and a hot spot after refilling my tank on the top coil everytime. Setting it up I have no shorts or hot spots, vape the tank dry, refill and everything goes to crap. I've tried many coils, and 2 wicks. I'm using an AGT, .28awg micro coil coming out to 1.6 ohms on a Provari. I have doubled up the Pos lead to keep from getting a hot leg. I keep poking, proding, dry burning, but it just keeps crapping out. If I get it going, a couple vapes later and it's started all over again. I drop the voltage and the ohms keep going lower and lower.

Looking at this pic, the top coil, dead center is the problem spot.
goodink-albums-my-gear-picture241681-agt.jpg

As you can see here it works great when its first setup.
goodink-albums-my-gear-picture241684-agt.jpg

goodink-albums-my-gear-picture241685-agt.jpg

GoodInk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2013
Whiteman AFB, MO
Did you do a dry burn to watch the distribution of the glow in the coil?

Yep, it lights up all even when setting it up. I start at 2.9V and work up until I hit the amp limit on my Provari. It works flawlessly until I refill the tank, then a couple puffs and E1/E2/E8 errors. Then I drain it, get it working, fill it back up, couple puffs, and errors out. The only fix I have found it rebuilding the coil. I've tried pulling the wick and dry burning the coil, but no luck. Everytime it's that top coil just 2-3mm's after it touches the wick.

DSC00778%20(1280x960).jpg

Last edited:

GoodInk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2013
Whiteman AFB, MO
With my Z-Atty, and my Cobra, if I'm not careful putting the top cap back on, the top coil will short.

Sent care of the guys that made Star Trek low tech.

I've thought about that and have been really carefull, plus it will do this with out putting the cap on. I also thought maybe I was turning the the deck when filling it too. I know I did that the first couple times before I realized I didn't have the deck very tight, now it's very tight.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I used to have a thing with my AGA-T where the whole center post (right down to the pos. head that contacts the atty 510) would turn. That whole center column turns a bit (especially if you remove the atty and screw it back in after refilling), and . . .. the wire up there gets snugged just a bit tighter. Tight enough to create too much tension on that exact spot you are referencing.

GoodInk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2013
Whiteman AFB, MO
Yep, I had that problem with this too, but I'm very carefull not to move it, lol. I've even checked to see if screwing it on the provari is turning it, but it's not. IDK if it's worth the effort, as I have a RSST on the way, but I love the way this thing vapes when it's working. Hmmm, just had a thought, I'm using the drill bit method only with an allen wrench. I wonder if I pull the wick and put the allen wrench in a give it a couple spins to try to round it back out. I'll report back in a few hours.

GoodInk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2013
Whiteman AFB, MO
Hey, now, is that your ss mesh crease I see? right smack dab on your problem spot? hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Yes and no, the crease isn't in a straight line, this wick is rolled insanely tight. The bottom of the coil it's right there, but at the top its on the backside. But I think you nailed it with the center post is spinning, I checked to see again to see if it from screwing it on the PV and it is moving just the slightest. How did you get your AGA-T to stop moving?

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Oh wow! So this is a common problem? I was just about to attempt to set up my AGA-T. I set my RSST up the other night with little to no problems. I just popped the wire a couple of times trying to get my coils right using the pulse method. Ill be keeping an eye open to see how you resolve this.

Have you looked into the Russian 91%? It's the kayfun lite clone & is supposed to be super easy to build. Bucky is running a coop for them. If you haven't ordered an rsst yet he has a coop for those as well but it looks like its going to be a long wait for it to fill. In the meantime I found them for $25 at sunnyvaping.com

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
I replaced the center screw on mine with a 4-40 stainless machine screw and the appropriate nuts. 3mm works too. You need to grind the nuts down tho. Their outside dimension is too big.

Or you could buy a MINI DID clone from China (~$10) and steal it's center post parts. (they are better quality). If you get the right one, you get a ~$7 steel drip tip with it for free.

Or there's my solution on the previous page. Skip the hassle, go to heaven.

GoodInk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2013
Whiteman AFB, MO
Oh wow! So this is a common problem? I was just about to attempt to set up my AGA-T. I set my RSST up the other night with little to no problems. I just popped the wire a couple of times trying to get my coils right using the pulse method. Ill be keeping an eye open to see how you resolve this.

Have you looked into the Russian 91%? It's the kayfun lite clone & is supposed to be super easy to build. Bucky is running a coop for them. If you haven't ordered an rsst yet he has a coop for those as well but it looks like its going to be a long wait for it to fill. In the meantime I found them for $25 at sunnyvaping.com
i have a RSST and Terminator V2 on the way. Great price on the RSST, and if the RSST doesn't work out for me, the Kayfun Lite or 91% might be next.

I replaced the center screw on mine with a 4-40 stainless machine screw and the appropriate nuts. 3mm works too. You need to grind the nuts down tho. Their outside dimension is too big.

Or you could buy a MINI DID clone from China (~$10) and steal it's center post parts. (they are better quality). If you get the right one, you get a ~$7 steel drip tip with it for free.

Or there's my solution on the previous page. Skip the hassle, go to heaven.

First thanks for the help.
Second, I think I might be skipping to option 2 or would that be option 1, :blink: Here is to hoping I can get this type of flavor on something that is easy to build on. Dripping is a no go for me, but those bottom feeders are something to think about. They just don't look natural to hold, but look very pocket friendly, nice and short. The #1 reason I went with Provari Mini, shortest tube VV I know of.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
The same reason why they (REOs specifically) seem unnatural to hold is why they turn out to feel better in the hand than anything else. Deck of cards, pack of smokes . . .. vs. dildo. I struggled with tube mod setups for a long time, so I know about the joys and frustrations of that. The REO does everything you want a mod to do . . .. better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread