SS Mesh Ideal Build Reo Grand

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullet

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2011
Philippines
Hey Guys,

Been hopelessly trying to build a SS Mesh setup on my Reo Grand to no avail.
I have had experiences using SS Mesh on some other mods but with my Reo ---
it's quite a challenge.

recent builds made my reo very warm and sometimes it shorts out.
I do know that proper oxidation is required, like I said, I built several setups
already with no issues.

Any thoughts like size, length, wire gauge, number of turns I may need to consider
for a modest build?

Or ss mesh is not for reos?

Thanks!

cigzag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2013
Northern Indiana
SS Mesh works well in gennys because it's always immersed in the eliquid and I tip it up when taking a drag. With the Reo the ss mesh is not in the eliquid and when squonking it will only permit about 2 drags and it's dry. Unfortunately I find that the ss mesh and the squonking method are not ideal.

I thought about making a "hybrid" combo wick using ss mesh and cotton but I really see no advantage to this since my cotton wick already works so well.

Freckle

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Mississippi
I use mesh in all my rbas. Take your silica as you would build just a normal regular silica build. Then take enough mesh that it will fit on the silica, but in between the post. Make sure the mesh is not touching the post or the walls of the rba. Wrap your coil, but only add your coils where the mesh is. With this set up you get the wicking of the silica, but flavor as of mesh.

Silica should be sticking out of the mesh like legs. It also shouldn't matter what type of kanthal to use, this should work with all types. I more so change up my kanthal depending on what ohm I am shooting for. In regards to the silica, I get better results from a small silica with this build, still great wicking from it.

boilednuts

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2009
ALOHA STATE
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/409222-why-ss-mesh-wicks-getting-populars-4.html. You may want to check out this thread. SS mesh has been my wick of choice prior to using Nextel Ceramic Rope (1/32"). There was just too many steps to building a coil that met my standards, but when it worked, it worked well for me. If you have a specific question, ask and I'll try and answer as best I can.

I like Freckle's idea of inserting a core within the ss mesh (which supertrunker used w/ cotton) and was about to try that but at the time my smallest size silica was 2.5mm and wanted to try maybe 1.5mm. The only possible concern I have about this is, if the silica after extended use would affect the flavor. Using a multi layer (maybe 2 or 3) skin of mesh may be better to insulate the silica from getting singed by the coil wires.

Freckle

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Mississippi
I hate re-building my coils. I keep the same build for months on end. Flavor for me improves. I try to do dry burns, but sometimes I forget to do that also. One time I had a build going for so long without any dry burns that when I finally decided to dry burn it, I couldn't even see the coils. I had to actually chip the gunk off, it was gunked that bad.

How I do my dry burns, when I do them, rinse under water, then burn it dry, then while you are firing your atty, rinse it again and dry burn it, add juice and vape.

It is usually vapor that gets poor before the flavor gets poor, a dry burn solves that.

bullet

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2011
Philippines
I use mesh in all my rbas. Take your silica as you would build just a normal regular silica build. Then take enough mesh that it will fit on the silica, but in between the post. Make sure the mesh is not touching the post or the walls of the rba. Wrap your coil, but only add your coils where the mesh is. With this set up you get the wicking of the silica, but flavor as of mesh.

Silica should be sticking out of the mesh like legs. It also shouldn't matter what type of kanthal to use, this should work with all types. I more so change up my kanthal depending on what ohm I am shooting for. In regards to the silica, I get better results from a small silica with this build, still great wicking from it.

Got to try this --- thanks!

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/409222-why-ss-mesh-wicks-getting-populars-4.html. You may want to check out this thread. SS mesh has been my wick of choice prior to using Nextel Ceramic Rope (1/32"). There was just too many steps to building a coil that met my standards, but when it worked, it worked well for me. If you have a specific question, ask and I'll try and answer as best I can.

I like Freckle's idea of inserting a core within the ss mesh (which supertrunker used w/ cotton) and was about to try that but at the time my smallest size silica was 2.5mm and wanted to try maybe 1.5mm. The only possible concern I have about this is, if the silica after extended use would affect the flavor. Using a multi layer (maybe 2 or 3) skin of mesh may be better to insulate the silica from getting singed by the coil wires.

Thanks for the link.
Will try your suggestion as well.

I hate re-building my coils. I keep the same build for months on end. Flavor for me improves. I try to do dry burns, but sometimes I forget to do that also. One time I had a build going for so long without any dry burns that when I finally decided to dry burn it, I couldn't even see the coils. I had to actually chip the gunk off, it was gunked that bad.

How I do my dry burns, when I do them, rinse under water, then burn it dry, then while you are firing your atty, rinse it again and dry burn it, add juice and vape.

It is usually vapor that gets poor before the flavor gets poor, a dry burn solves that.

Same reason why I'm considering using ss mesh.
Same thing I do for dry burning when my setup is on my mortar tube mod.

Awesome suggestions, guys!
Thanks a lot.
Will post update soon.

bullet

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2011
Philippines

this works amazingly!
I was thinking I should have several builds in case of shorts or collapsed spring but tried it first using 3mm silica wrapped by the SS mesh and wound over 4 loops with 0.32 kanthal.

1 build and bam!
no shorts, great flavor and tons of vapor!

I was aiming for a decent build but this was just perfect I finished off a 6ml bottle in 2 hours - like a thirsty camel I am.

Thanks everyone!

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
It's a hybrid wick - you can do the same with cotton and all the rest too in the middle of the SS 'saddle' depending on what you think wicks best - i have found them to be very effective but thirsty! Who cares right?

I rate ceramic silica wick - and then you can just ditch the SS and get the same longevity and wicking from that.

I use often fat 3mm (it really is thicker than that) silica and a 3/4 wrap of kanthal 32g - 2 Ohms. I use 400 ss mesh when i make mine and that gauge wire for no other reason than i got a good deal on them!

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread