Status
Not open for further replies.

SP013

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
Hello fellow vapers,

Hadron 220 is todays focus of this review. It is a dual 21700 battery mod created by Steamcrave. Also I received the squonk backpack for this mod which allows to turn it into a squonk mod. Interesting thing about this mod is that it runs on the YiHi X490 chipset, a chipset that overall is well known under vapers and well known for its accuracy, especially in TC mode.

Specifications:

Size: 99.2* 48* 38mm
Battery: dual 18650/21700 batteries(not included)
Output: max 220W
Voltage: max 8.4V
Chip: Yihi SX490 chipset
Modes: Power/TC/TCR/Soft/Standard/powerful/powerful+ modes
Charging current: 2A

Input Current: 35A
Output Current: 40A
Backpack capacity: 16ml

Features:

Powered by dual 21700/18650 batteries with max 220W output
Advanced Yihi SX490 chipset
Colorful Screen
Compatible with the tanks with diameter from 25mm to 35mm

Packaging:

Hadron 220 mod:

• 1x HADRON 220 MOD
  • 1x Micro USB Cable
  • 1x Silicon 18650 adapter
  • 1x Steam Crave sticker
  • 1x User Manual
  • 1x 21700 battery instructions
  • 1x Spare O-ring and gasket bag
Squonk Backpack:

· 1x Steam Crave Hadron 220 Squonk Backpack 16ml
· Screws to attach the backpack
· 1x User Manual
· 1x Spare O-ring bag

What I am missing in the backpack packaging is additional screws, because you only get two screws, one to attach the top part and one to attach the bottom part. If you lose one, then you might get in trouble finding replacement. Especially the bottom screw is not a standard screw.

Hadron 220 thoughts and experience:

This mod is big, that is what stood out to me firs taking it out of the box, but Steamcrave is known for its massive atomizers so it fits their product line. It does feel very solid with its metal built, not sure what material it is made from, but I expect stainless steel or zinc alloy. Obviously, it is heavy, especially with dual 18650’s inserted weighing around 305g.

Probably the main reason why people would buy this mod is the fact you can put a 36mm tank on here without any overhang. This mod does not have a regular 510 pin, but instead it is already equipped with a squonk pin, which is not spring loaded. I also received the Ragnar RDTA for review (to come) and it just fits well with this mod. Like the overall looks of the mod, there is branding on the sides of the mod, but it is not disturbing at all. No fancy colors, just simple black or gunmetal.

Battery door can be a bit hard to open, but it also locks and stays in place well. In the packaging they included 21700 battery instructions and O-rings, they did that because 21700 can slightly differ in size due to wrapping. Some 21700 batteries might rattle a lot inside the mod and that is where the O-rings come into place. You just simply put the O-rings around the rattling 21700 battery and plug it in, the rattling should be solved. Did not have two 21700 at the time of reviewing so couldn’t test this (shame on me). Well thought off by Steamcrave to already inform their customers on this and provide a solution, it is not the mod its fault with 21700 batteries. The included 18650 adapter is a proper one and is easy to use.

Buttons sit nice and flush, do not hear any rattling. All buttons are nice and clicky and react well, the device fires up very fast. Apart from the fire-button there is three buttons on the bottom. The top one functions as plus, the middle one as ‘select’ and the bottom one as minus.

Screen is large and bright; it is easy to see all details. What I am missing is dual battery indication, it only has one main indicator. YiHi chip it is, simplistic look but functions how you would expect it to. It takes a bit of time to get used to getting through this device, something that often is the case with YiHi chipsets. Turning on and off the device is no rocket-science with its 5 clicks to turn on and 5 clicks and select power off.

What I needed to get used to is the three bottom buttons, each button has a function. With the top button you can scroll through the 5 flash memory setting. With the middle button you activate change mode, whatever shows red on the screen is OK to be changed with the up and down button. Also, the middle button functions to scroll through the different functions such as wattage and TC. With the bottom button you can scroll through the different ‘flavor modes’, soft, standard, powerful and powerful +. These flavor modes basically allow the user to decrease or increase ramp up time and you really do feel the difference. Using Powerful + mode you really get a very hard hit right from the start.

Good news for those that just like to vape on power mode and not be too busy with the menu, there is novice mode. This mode can be activated by holding the up and down button for about 2 seconds. This changes the device in the most standard wattage device with no additional functions, not even the flavor modes. I generally am a wattage vaper and really like this function making the mod a lot simpler to use. But for those that are into TC modes it takes some learning to get used to the system. Another thing that surprised me is that in TC modes it does not show ‘wattage’ but ‘Joules’, in general not an issue as the values are the same.

One weird thing about this device is that the puff-counter resets every time you take out the batteries. Not sure if an update already exists to fix this issue.

Squonk Backpack thoughts and experience:

What makes the mod quite unique is that it is convertible into a squonk mod. The Squonk Backpack is sold seperatly. First thing to say about this backpack is that it makes the mod really giant, this for me is not the type of mod to take on a trip, but only really for home use.

Attaching the squonk backpack to the mod is a piece of cake. It falls right into place and by mounting the two included screws it sits very firmly on the mod. What I am missing in the backpack packaging is additional scews in case you lose or break one. Filling up the backpack is simple, just screw of the fill cap and it reveals a large fill-hole. Filling up the backpack takes some time as it holds a massive 16ml. With its large open windows on the side you can easily see the amount of liquid in the backpack.

Cleaning it is simple, just fill it with warm water and start pumping it out. Leave it open and it allow it to dry for some time.

It does not have the regular squonk system where you squish the bottle, but it has a pump system. The black button on the backpack is the pump activator. It works very well, but you need to get to know the system a little. Pumping too fast will result in liquid jumping out of your RDA, I had it splash right onto my face once, it’s like a watergun. But once you get the hang of it and by pumping slowly it really works very well. Steamcrave told me one pump is about 0.4ml of liquid, so one or two pumps on general is more than enough to saturate your cotton properly. Another thing to keep in mind is that the system does not suck back liquid as regular squonk bottles do, so oversquonking is a risk.

I’ve been using this squonk setup with the Ragnar RDTA which I transformed into an RDA. They work together very well especially because the Ragnar has quite some capacity in the bottom of the base with its 35mm diameter. With a smaller RDA you will need to be extra careful while pumping to not over-squonk.

Conclusion:

If you are looking for a high-capacity mod/squonk-mod then this is a good choice. With dual 21700 and a 16ml squonk compartment you are always supplied with power and liquid.

This setup to me is not a travel type of set up, its just too bulky.

YiHi chipset feels a bit oldish, but it functions very well, it just takes some time to get used to.

Still really liking Steamcrave products so far. Not the cheapest out there but you really get good quality vape products.

Thank you!
Sjoerd

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread