The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Strawberry Melon Heaven

Discussion in 'E-Liquid Recipes' started by Cas002, Mar 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Cas002

Cas002 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 4, 2018
    Omaha NE
    Just got another assortment of flavors from Bull City (great prices and service) including CAP Sweet Watermelon and FA Cantaloupe which I just mixed with my TFA Ripe Strawberry. I like mostly fruit flavors. Almost always when I create a new juice I start with about 20 ml to sample and make adjustments before making a larger batch because it usually needs refinement. I also have a basic calculator I built in Google Sheets that calculates all the ml & drops needed after entering target total volume and % flavors & base which is a big help. The first attempt at Strawberry Melon Heaven v1 and it's perfect, no it's actually heavenly for me! It hasn't even steeped yet so will likely get better. This BLOWS AWAY the VapeWild Strawberry Waterfelons I purchased countless 240ml orders of prior to starting DIY juice.

FLAVORS
    TFA Ripe Strawberry..........10.5%
    CAP Sweet Watermelon......4.0%
    FA Cantaloupe...................4.0%
    TFA Sweetener..................1.6%
    BASE
    VG w/ 2.25% Nic..............71.4%
    PG..................................8.5%

I end up with about 1.6% Nic, 71/29 VG.

Enjoy!

• Like Like x 4
  2. JoeyC

JoeyC Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 15, 2014
    Peanut Gallery
    Wow thats alot of flavor there! Glad it works for you if I mix this up I would cut the %’s by 60%

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Cas002

Feb 4, 2018
    Omaha NE
    Yeah, it's a little high in flavor % compared to other recipes I have seen but that's the way I have enjoyed my DIYs...so far. I have heard that reducing the % of flavor can actually improve the vape quality overall and I will try that soon. Ty!

• Like Like x 3
  4. JoeyC

Dec 15, 2014
    Peanut Gallery
    Everyone has different tastes so if that is where you like thats good!! Have you tried to test your flavors individually starting low and working up?? It will help you find your sweet spot on a flavor.

@IDJoel or others here would be better at explaining diy than me :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cas002

Feb 4, 2018
    Omaha NE
    I usually test new flavors with a tiny drop for a mouth taste just to gauge the overall strength. Your suggestion makes sense and I'll try that on my next v1 recipe. Thanks again!

• Like Like x 2
  6. JoeyC

Dec 15, 2014
    Peanut Gallery
    Glad to help out, by lowering your %’s will save you on your flavors and money :)

7. Fidola13

Fidola13 Prepper Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston

That sounds delicious! Will give it a go with my next mix session. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  8. IDJoel

IDJoel Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    If you have a recipe you like, but think the overall flavor content is too high, the important thing is to maintain the ratio of each flavor concentrate to all the other flavor concentrates. This preserve the flavor profile balance. An easy way to do this is to create a flavor-only base. For @Cas002's recipe it would look like this:

TFA Ripe Strawberry...........52.24% (10.5<orig. % used> ÷ 20.1<original total flavor %> = 0.522388)
    CAP Sweet Watermelon......19.90% (4.0<orig. % used> ÷ 20.1<original total flavor %> = 0.199005)
    FA Cantaloupe....................19.90% (4.0<orig. % used> ÷ 20.1<original total flavor %> = 0.199005)
    TFA Sweetener.....................7.96% (1.6<orig. % used> ÷ 20.1<original total flavor %> = 0.079601)
    (Total...............................100.00%)

I can make any volume of this flavor base. If I wanted to make a batch at the original strength of Cas' recipe; I would use 20.1% flavor base, to my base ingredients (PG, VG, nic), because this was the total flavoring percentage of the original recipe. But, I can also just as easily use it at 15%, or 10%, or whatever other percentage I wanted to try, all while preserving the original integrity of the flavor ratios and not have to recalculate my new percentages each time.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Letitia

Letitia Citrus Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    This is what I've been playing with. Some work great and in others I've found one flavor may fade or overwhelm. Trial and error should be the diy motto. Oh so sweet when you get a win tho, eh?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. IDJoel

IDJoel Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    Good point! Using a flavor base like I described above is only useful if it has the correct balance. If a person needs to tweak "this up" or "that down" a flavor base is not helpful.
    I couldn't agree more!:D

• Like Like x 2
  11. Letitia

Letitia Citrus Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    When I have a recipe where I want it I mix 60ml. 30ml to vape and 30ml for a long steep. I also mix a flavor only base and don't mix with it for a minimum of 6 weeks. That is enough time to tell me if the flavors continue to play nicely together.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I have Mixed a LOT of Fruit Blends over the Years. And if I had to pick One Flavoring that Blends the Best with other Fruit Flavors, it would definitely be Strawberry. It just Goes Well with So Many Things.

It is also a Forgiving Flavor when it comes to How Much is used. Which makes it Nice when doing a New Flavor work-up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Cas002

Feb 4, 2018
    Omaha NE
    It never even occurred to me to do this...makes perfect sense once you have a killer recipe for daily vaping. It should also make the results more consistent since there will be slight variations in flavor ratios each time it's mixed up in your la-bora-tory. Great idea - thanks @IDJoel!

@Letitia - Yeah, this was my biggest single-trial DIY juice win and it feels great. I hope to post more recipe successes very soon. Thanks all!

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.