Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Ontario

jwbnyc

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
My problem with heated tobacco products, such as the IQOS, is that they leave too much scope for the usual suspects to manipulate the product, increasing the addictiveness and generally putting bad stuff in the mix.

Overall, they do represent a better alternative to burning tobacco, so mixed bag there.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
My problem with heated tobacco products, such as the IQOS, is that they leave too much scope for the usual suspects to manipulate the product, increasing the addictiveness and generally putting bad stuff in the mix.
If such "manipulation" makes HnB more effective than vaping as a means of getting people to put down their combustible cigarettes, then I think it's a win.

However, I'm not convinced that "manipulation" is the reason that tobacco cigarettes are more addictive than vaping. The thing that tobacco companies were most commonly accursed of manipulating was the form that nicotine takes; i.e. increasing the fraction that's free-base rather than protonated as a salt. Instead, I suspect it has a lot to do with some of the other substances that are occur naturally in tobacco smoke (and presumably HnB vapor). It's well established in animal studies that the combination of nicotine and MAOIs in tobacco is far more "addictive" than nicotine alone, yet I don't think BT has ever been accused of adding MAOIs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread