Status
Not open for further replies.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
You can run a micro coil on a genesis style, however you will see leakage. I am running a 5/64" macro coil 28g 8 wrap 1.4-1.5Ω on mine at the moment. Most people that run either a micro/macro coil use cotton wick also. It helps cut down on the leaks. I occasionally might get a leak, but only when I am not paying attention to what I am doing... If I am at home I run my RSST without the fill plug. When on the road I put the fill plug in and don't have any leaks. I also don't chain vape when I'm on the road as opposed to being at home. The fill plug makes a difference in how it wicks with mesh.

tattooed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2009
VA
is that what I'm seeing in your av pic?

So you use quite the small wick. You running that on just a straight mech? You on board with these guys that it beats sub ohm?

I'm not anti-cotton but I can't stand getting burnt hits and also I somehow make a mess when cotton is involved, seems like I manage to get it everywhere.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Yes, that is what's in my avatar. I am rockin' it on my SmokTech Natural in 18350 mode. I alternate between SS mesh and cotton wicks. Just to kinda change it up every now and then. Cotton wicks are an art form, sort of... The thing to remember is, "less is more", when it comes to cotton. You don't want to choke off the coil and you don't want the legs to be too long, as it will have a hard time keeping up with the coil. I am not really into all the subΩ stuff. I had a twisted micro 28g 10 wrap .9Ω on my Igo-L for a short period a while back, but it just cranked through the juice like it was nothing. I went from 3-4ml /day instantly to 8-10ml /day... I prefer to stay in the 1.2-1.5Ω range if I can... I'm not a huge wattage type of vaper...

Last edited:

tattooed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2009
VA
ok, ran it very similar to your setup. Dialed it in at 1ohm. Vaper production and throat hit were on par with sub ohm. Flavor suffered though. Wicking did leak all over the place which was my fault since I'm used to tilting. I can see how efficient they are and how cotton probably is the best route. For now, I'm back to my sub ohm but I can see revisiting this when I'm not sitting at the office.

Jawden

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2013
Hilo, HI
ok, ran it very similar to your setup. Dialed it in at 1ohm. Vaper production and throat hit were on par with sub ohm. Flavor suffered though. Wicking did leak all over the place which was my fault since I'm used to tilting. I can see how efficient they are and how cotton probably is the best route. For now, I'm back to my sub ohm but I can see revisiting this when I'm not sitting at the office.

What is this build setup on? Rsst?

dudex

Verified Member
Aug 3, 2011
Holiday, Florida
photo.jpg

Rsst with a 28guage 8 wrap micro on SS wick. Came out to around 1.3ohms.
I love it, works great. Still have to tilt every 2-3 draws, but I dont mind.

cessnapix

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2013
Northeast
I noticed none of you carburator fans live in the cold weather climates. It is so nice to have fuel injection at a stop light and not have your engine stall out when its down into the 20's or below zero for that matter! :)

Seriously, How are you people getting your wraps so tight? What is the trick? I don't use an RBA at this time, just 306 attys and started to rebuild aspire heads.

thanks, any advice would be greatful

I noticed none of you carburator fans live in the cold weather climates. It is so nice to have fuel injection at a stop light and not have your engine stall out when its down into the 20's or below zero for that matter! :)

Seriously, How are you people getting your wraps so tight? What is the trick? I don't use an RBA at this time, just 306 attys and started to rebuild aspire heads.

thanks, any advice would be greatful
DSCN2751sm_zps39d4168d.jpg

This is a 30Ga 1.5 ohm coil and a 28 Ga 2 ohm coil from a Russian. The 2 ohm never saw use, as my goal was ~1.4.

I wrap my coils as tight and close as possible on my drill bit. Put it in the atty, then fire it up until it is glowing red. While hot, squeeze the coil together with a set of micro needle nose pliers (you can use small tweezers). I usually do this 3 or 4 times. It is set up properly when you see it glow from the center of the coil outward. The legs should not glow.

bender817

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
View attachment 275214

Rsst with a 28guage 8 wrap micro on SS wick. Came out to around 1.3ohms.
I love it, works great. Still have to tilt every 2-3 draws, but I dont mind.

I did this a while back and loved it. I think this is technically a mini coil though. Yours looks almost exactly like mine did and it was 1/8" id. Like I said though, I loved it, that flavor from heatsinking with that mesh is unique. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread